I Try Not To Disappoint

"Catlynn!" someone yelled, and I jumped back. I was in the hallway at school. 

The problem was, I recongized the voice. But at the same time, I didn't. I turned around and said, "What do you want?" I was still trying to figure out who the voice belonged to. 

As soon as I turned around, I could not stop smiling.

My biological older sister was here. I haven't seen her in a year.

"ELISSA!" I yelled, running to hug her. "Oh my God, I haven't seen you in forever! What are you doing here?" 

"I'm here because I heard you got adopted, Lynnie." Elissa said. I smiled at the nickname. While Sunshine was Elle and the Heathers cast's special nickname for me, Lynnie was Elissa's special nickname for me. 

"Elissa! How did you find out?" I asked my sister. She smiled and said, "Grandpa told me. So, tell me all about them. I'm only here for the day to see you."

"So, I got adopted by a Broadway performer, Elle McLemore, while she was in the middle of a show, Heathers. The whole cast became my family. It hasn't been easy, but I've gotten through it." I said.

Elissa gasped and hugged me tightly. Good old Elissa Reeve. 

"Wait, are you safe? Are they good to you?" Elissa asked. I nodded and said, "They're the best family I could ever ask for, Elissa. Um...but my aunt...Jess...she got in a car crash in August. That was rough."

"Oh, Lynnie...you don't deserve that. At all. Listen, I am so sorry that I left you..." Elissa said, taking my hand. 

"It's fine. But I think I'm in a good place right now. And Lise? I haven't forgotten you." I said, smiling. "But...I have 4 siblings."

"Ooh, what are they like?" Elissa asked. "Don't worry, I don't feel bad."

"Well, um, Alice is my sister, she likes to take me out for sushi a lot. Barrett's my other sister, she let me cut my hair when my mom wasn't around. Evan's my brother, he sometimes puts on a tutu and does ballet to make me laugh. Jon's my other brother, he calls me Olive sometimes." I said, laughing.

"Well, um, Lynnie...the real reason I came here was because I have to tell you some news. Good news and bad news." Elissa said.

"Yeah?" I asked. 

"Grandpa, Mommy and I are moving to California...and so is Dad. He's gonna be in jail, though." Elissa said.

"SO DAD'S GONNA BE ACROSS THE COUNTRY AND I'LL NEVER SEE HIM AGAIN? THIS IS AMAZING!" I yelled, hugging Elissa. 

"I thought you would be sadder that I was leaving too!" Elissa said, laughing. I smiled and said, "Don't worry, Lise. I have a new family."

"I know, Lynnie. I know. Well, I have to go, flight leaves tomorrow. But I'll stay in touch, I pinky promise." Elissa said, getting up for one last hug. I hugged my sister tightly and said, "Thanks for always being there for me. Even though I barely saw you after I turned nine."

"Wait, Catlynn, what's your last name?" Elissa asked.

"My name is Catlynn Sunshine McLemore." I said. 

"I'm glad you're not Thomas Reeve's daughter anymore. You don't know how happy that makes me." Elissa said. She hugged me one more time then waved as she left the school. 

"Bye Catlynn! I love you!" Elissa said.

The door slammed behind her before I even got the chance to say I loved her back.

"Who was that?" Vera said, coming up behind me. 

"My sister." I said. "Not Alice or Barrett, my actual sister. I haven't seen her since...last December. December 2013. She's moving all the way to California. And so is my dad." 

"You gotta tell Jessica, Cat! She's gonna flip!" Vera said. My heart ached a little, this is exactly how Red would've acted.

"I know, she's gonna be pumped when I tell her. And you know what? I don't think I'm even going to miss my sister that much. I know, I sound like a total jerk, but it's true. I have Elle and Jessica and Katie and Evan and Alice and Barrett and Jon and Ryan now. I don't need to be connected to my biological family anymore." I said.

"That actually makes a lot of sense." Vera said. "Now come on, they're announcing who sold the most cookie dough for the D.C. trip."

Vera shushed me as an announcement came on the loudspeakers.

"Good afternoon, students and staff, please excuse the interruption. The students who have sold the most cookie dough for the Grade 8 2014-2015 Washington D.C. trip are Vera Campbell in third place, Angus Peters in second, and Catlynn McLemore in first. Congratulations."

"You won." Vera said excitedly.

"Vera Campbell, we both won!" I yelled, hugging my friend excitedly. "And so did no good Angus Peters."

"Come on Cat, we don't need to talk about your love life, let's get the prizes!" Vera yelled, taking my hand and sprinting down to the cafeteria.

________

I was at home and was ready to tell Elle and Jess the good news of the day.

"Guys...I have amazing news. 3 pieces of amazing news to share." I said, heading in the door.

"Tell us!" Elle said happily.

"So one, I saw my sister Elissa today, I haven't seen her in over a year. Two, I won the cookie dough selling competition. And three...guess where my dad is?" I said, smiling. 

"Coming up the front steps?" Jessica asked, worried.

"No! CALIFORNIA!" I yelled excitedly. Elle squealed and hugged me. Jessica did the same thing.

"Oh my God, this is the best day of my entire life!" I squealed while in Elle's arms.

"How much money did you raise selling cookie dough?" Elle asked.

"Three hundred and forty dollars this week alone." I said. Jessica squealed. 

This was truly the greatest day ever.

AN: Thought I would give you guys not one, not two, but 3 PIECES OF AMAZING NEWS FOR CAT TODAY! Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!