Act Like We're All Still Kids

Even though I've only known Elle, Katie, Barrett, Ryan, Alice, and Jessica for about a week, I loved them. They were my family. And the New World Stages was my home.

I was sitting on a couch in the theater, wearing my worn-out Converse, and playing on my phone. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw an envelope on the floor. I kneeled down, and opened the card that was in it.

"Hey, Ms. No-Name Kid, we have a scavenger hunt for you. Go to my dressing room." the card read.

Ryan. Ryan was the one who called me Ms. No-Name Kid. I ran to his dressing room and there was another card.

"Hey. Go to the place that took you to where you love the most." I knew exactly where that was. The brick wall outside of the theater. That's where Elle found me the first time. I ran out of the theater and found a card in the street.

"Go find the clothes you took to the hospital! Now!" the card read. I didn't know where those were, so I went back to Elle's dressing room and checked if they were there. They weren't. I checked Katie's dressing room, and there they were, in a old grocery bag. Taped to the bag was another card.

"Last clue! Go to where all the magic happens" I ran back into New World Stages and went on the stage.

"SURPRISE!" the cast screamed as I walked in.

"What is this?" I laughed. "My birthday's not for another month!" Elle hugged me, and said, "We just wanted to make you smile. You deserve it!" Elle picked me up and spun me around. I noticed that there were a few presents on the stage. I smiled like an idiot and Ryan said, "You have more coming for your birthday, kid."

"I...didn't need presents in the first place. Thank you." I said, hugging Ryan.

"Open your presents!" Katie said, smiling. At the last minute, Jessica yanked a flat box away and threw it to the side. "This is for last." I smiled, and opened a box. There was a card taped to the front of it. I opened the card up, and it said,

Sunshine,
You were, and are, the best thing to ever happen to us. I should be thanking Elle for finding you in the first place, but we wanted to thank you. We never thought that a random girl in the street, with beautiful auburn hair and big brown eyes, could be our world. But then came you. Never underestimate how great you are, Sunshine. If I went through the things you did, I would be terrified for my life. But we didn't know you were abused until Elle saw the bruises. I love you. This entire cast does. Never forget that, promise me?
Your big brother,
Ryan McCartan.

I hugged Ryan, then went to open his present. This really pretty pink dress fell out, along with a pair of black ballet flats. "Oh my God, thank you so much!" I cried. Ryan said, "You're welcome, kid. There's more."

In the envelope, there were 2 stickers. One had my name on it in pretty cursive, and the other had a sun with "Sunshine" printed in the middle. I guess Sunshine was my nickname now.

Alice and Barrett were fighting over who's present to give me next. While they weren't looking, I grabbed the nearest one. I opened the card attached to it.

Catlynn,
I don't know you as well as the others do, but you seem like the sweetest girl in the world. You have the most contagious smile, I want to see it more often. When we tell you how much we love you, believe it, ok?  You're so incredibly talented, and I can't wait to watch you grow.
Hope you like the gift.
Alice Lee

I hugged Alice and opened her gift. Inside was a set of notebooks, each with my first initial. "I really like these. Thank you."

"Ha-ha, my gift is better than yours!" Ryan said, and Alice slapped him.