My Problems Were Myriad, I Just Started My Period

"Okay, are you sure you're okay alone, Sunshine?" Elle asked.

To be honest, I really wasn't okay. I hated staying home alone, especially when Jessica had a doctor's appointment. Elle knew this, and she tried to call Ryan, Evan, and Alice to see if they could come stay with me. But Alice didn't answer, and Ryan and Evan were busy.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Just separation anxiety." I said. Elle looked at Jessica and said to her, "Should I stay home with her?"

"No, it's fine." I said. "I'm fine." Elle looked at Jessica and nodded, then they both left.

I started to cry a little, then pulled out my phone. Evan had texted me.

Evan: Sorry I couldn't come, Sunshine. Do you want me to call you and keep you company?
Cat: Sure. I'm having a little separation anxiety.
Evan: Aww, poor baby. Hang on. I'll call you in two minutes.

Two minutes later, my phone rang.

"Hey, Sunshine. How're you holding up?" Evan asked once I picked up.

"I miss my mom..." I said, crying a little.

"Aww, I'm sure she misses you too. But she'll be home soon." Evan said. I sighed, and Evan said, "Um, listen Sunshine, I have to go."

"No!" I yelled into the phone, sobbing. Evan sighed, and said, "I'll text you as soon as I can. Hang in there, Sunshine. I love you so much." Evan hung up and I started sobbing.

Out of impulse, I texted Elle.

Cat: I miss you. Come home.
Elle: Oh, Sunshine, I'm sorry. I'll be home in an hour.

I started sobbing and I threw my phone across the living room, not before feeling something a little odd.

A stomach cramp. Didn't I just have surgery to fix those? I shook it off, it could just be side effects. I looked down, and I saw blood on my pants.

I started freaking out. I grabbed my phone and quickly texted Jessica.

Cat: Sorry to bother you, but something's wrong and I'm scared.
Jessica: What's wrong? Are you okay?
Cat: There's blood on my pants and my stomach hurts.
Jessica: Sunshine, you started your period.
Cat: What?
Jessica: Call me in five minutes, I'll explain. Go change your pants and get some Advil. I'm done with my appointment, I'll be home soon. Love you.

I went to the bathroom and changed my pants like Jessica told me. I got some Advil and sat back down on the couch. Five minutes later, my phone vibrated.

"Hey, it's Jess. Me and Elle are on our way home. Are you okay?" Jessica said once I picked up.

"What's going on?" I asked. That's all I wanted to know.

"Okay, so, once a month, women get something called a period. It's what's happening to you right now. I told your mom what's going on and we're stopped at the store right now to get you some pads." Jessica said. "Don't freak out, it's perfectly normal. We'll be home in 5 minutes."

I sighed, and Jessica said, "Go sit on a blanket so you don't get blood on the couch. We'll be home soon. We're getting out of the store now."

"Bye Jess. Love you." I said.

"Love you too." Jessica said.

_______

"Sunshine! We're home!" I heard Elle call. I ran to her and she hugged me.

"That was a stroke of unfortunate luck. Your first period while you were home alone." Jessica said, giggling. "I'm sorry we didn't teach you about periods before. I thought you already knew." 

"No. I didn't." I said. Elle handed me a package, and said, "There are instructions on the package. Go to the bathroom." I went to the bathroom and pulled out what Elle called a pad. I stared at the packaging.

Okay, this might not be as bad as I thought. 

I managed to put on the pad correctly and I flushed the toilet.

"You good in there, Sunshine?" I heard Elle say. I yelled back, "Yep!" I walked out of the bathroom, and Jessica hugged me.

"You're growing up." Jessica said. "I can't believe it."

"Thanks." I said, blushing. Elle dug in the grocery bag and handed me a package of dark chocolate. "It'll help with the cramps." I smiled and happily took the chocolate.

"Can I just say, you have the biggest smile on your face right now and it's absolutely adorable." Elle said.

"Elle, you just gave her chocolate. She's on a sugar high." Jessica said.

I got a cramp and I winced. "You okay?" Elle asked.

"Poor girl. She got a period cramp." Jessica said. Jessica sat on the couch and said, "Come here."

I sat on the couch and laid back on Jessica's lap. Jessica rubbed my tummy and kissed my forehead, then started to sing.

"She's falling asleep, Jess. You're getting her sleepy." Elle said. And it was true. I was getting sleepy.

A few minutes later, I felt Elle kiss me on the forehead and say, "Sweet dreams, Sunshine."

I fell asleep on Jessica's lap.

AN: Periods suck. And thanks to @bookworm6570 for encouraging me to write this chapter! Hope you enjoyed! Catch you later!