Who Will Be My Chaperone?

I was still sobbing in the bathroom for the past 30 minutes, hoping the surgery would be over soon. It probably would be. I kept checking my phone, hoping that Cat would text me to say she was awake.

Then I realized. Elle had Cat's phone with her. She couldn't text me even if she wanted to. I sighed and leaned against the stall door.

Catlynn was my world. And if I lost her, I don't know what I'd do.

"Hey Katie?" I heard from outside the stall door. I opened the door and Elle was standing there.

"Cat's awake. She's awake and she's recovering." Elle said with a sweet smile. I gasped and said, "N-no comas?"

"No comas. She's awake." Elle assured me. I gave her a huge hug and off we went to the recovery room.

____________________________________________________________________

Catlynn's POV

I blinked, wondering if I had just awakened from a coma. The world was a bit blurry, but I saw orange on my lap.

Someone had given me my blankie. I smiled and opened my eyes a bit more, seeing Elle and Katie standing there.

"Mommy...Auntie..." I said, still feeling drowsy. I felt someone stroke my hair, and I closed my eyes again. All I wanted to do was sleep.

"Good morning, Sunshine." I heard Elle say.

"W-what time is it?" I said through half-closed eyes.

"It is almost noon." I heard Katie say. "You were out for about 2 hours. Though it felt like 2 years for me." I started to feel more awake, and I saw tears lining Katie's eyes.

"Katie...were you crying?" I asked. Katie laughed awkwardly and said, "No, of course not."

"Don't lie." I said quietly. Katie sighed and sat on the foot of my hospital bed. She took my hands and then started sobbing.

"She was scared you were going to die." Elle answered for her. I gently gave Katie a hug and said, "I'm awake, Auntie."

Katie smiled at me and ruffled my hair. "I know you're awake, Sunshine." I smiled and relaxed in Katie's arms, feeling safe and loved. Katie stroked my hair and kissed my head over and over.

"You're alive. Sunshine. You're alive." Katie said over and over. Katie pulled down the blankets and said, "How's your knee?"

"Swollen. It doesn't hurt a lot because of the painkillers. But they'll wear off pretty soon, I think." I said, feeling oddly sleepy. I guess the anesthesia hasn't worn off just yet.

"Are you okay, Sunshine?" Elle asked. I sighed and said, "I'm really tired..." Katie kissed my forehead and said, "Sleep, Sunshine. You'll feel a lot better when you wake up."

I closed my eyes, hearing Katie sing the familiar, comforting melody of The I Love You Song.

____________

I opened my eyes, met with complete darkness. I found my phone tangled in the blankets and checked the time. 1:38 AM.

I wanted to be home. Was I home? Or was I alone in a hospital?

My questions were answered when I heard soft beeping coming from the corner. A heart monitor. I wasn't home just yet.

I looked around the room for any sign of Elle or Katie. I heard some soft breathing coming from the other side of the room and sighed in relief. Someone was here for me.

"Auntie? Momma?" I asked quietly. I heard someone stir and then I saw Elle sit up.

"Sunshine...why are you up? Katie isn't here, she went home a few hours after you went to sleep." Elle said.

"I just woke up." I said. "When are we going home?"

"Just a few more hours, baby. You're going home today." Elle said. "You're gonna have to take it easy for a few weeks, but you'll be home. Isn't that good?"

I nodded, and Elle sat on my bed. I started sobbing and said, "I made Katie cry. I feel so bad." Elle hugged me and said, "No...baby...Katie was just worried about you."

"Then why could she not stop crying? Why did she almost refuse to come with me yesterday, no matter how many times I asked? Why did she have tears in her eyes when I woke up after surgery?" I ranted. Elle said "Shh..." and rocked me back and forth.

"It's my fault." I said.

"Baby...it's not your fault at all. And Katie...she's been blaming...herself for this whole thing. She thinks that it's her fault that you wound up in the hospital in the first place." Elle said.

"What? Why would she do that?" I asked. Elle sighed.

"I don't know. But I'm planning on having a long talk with her later today." Elle said. "Now go to sleep. You want to go home and have fun, well, as much fun as you can have with that hurt knee of yours, right?" I frantically nodded and laid back on the pillows.

Elle softly sung Solla Sollew until I drifted off to sleep.

AN: Slightly evil chapter, I guess. And this was originally gonna end on a much sadder note, y'all are lucky. Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!