Joy Never Comes For Free

"Hey! Cat! Great job at the Nutcracker!" Red said. "And yes, I was there."

"Stalker much?" I laughed. Red said, "So, how was it being Clara!" I smiled and said, "It was the best weekend of my life! And I may or may not have a crush..."

"Ooh!" Red said, nudging me. She dragged me into the bathroom and said, "Who's the crush?"

"His name is Angus, and he played Fritz in the Nutcracker with me. He stopped me after the show and told me what a great job I did." I said. "He's super cute."

"What is with you and falling for boy ballerinas? What about ballerinas do you find attractive?" Red asked, laughing. "Seriously, what did you find attractive in Ethan?"

"I honestly don't know. I think it was just his looks. I was so blinded by how cute he was that I didn't realize how manipulative he was. His mom is super nice though, I still talk to her sometimes. And as for Angus, he's a blonde. Adorable." I said.

"Seriously? That's all you care about? The fact that he has blonde hair? And we better head to band, let's go." Red said, dragging me out of the bathroom.

__________

"So, Catlynn. There's something I need to talk to you about." I heard. I turned around, and to my horror, Violet Gardner was standing there.

"What do you want?" I asked, horrified. I swayed anxiously on my feet and put my hand in my pocket, ready to call Elle.

"So, I heard you ran away. Such a baby. But hey, you're finally listening to me! You know those Broadway stars don't love you. And they never will. I'm surprised Elle hasn't kicked you out of the house yet!" Violet cackled, then said, "Did you bring your blankie again like the baby you are?"

"Y-yeah..." I said, holding my backpack tighter.

Then it hit me. Violet was a Heathers fan. The only reason she was teasing me was to get a chance to meet her idols. And she got when she wanted.

"I know what you're up to, and it's not gonna work." I said, getting that confidence I had inherited from my family.

"Aww, is Catherine finally getting confident?" Violet said. I inched against the wall, about to run away.

"What are you doing to her?" I heard, and Cesca was standing there, the principal behind her. Cesca was holding up her phone like a prize.

"What?" I whispered to Cesca. Cesca cackled and said, "I recorded everything, since the very beginning. I've been waiting to tell the principal until I got the solid evidence together. With a little help from Elle, and Jessica's medical papers, you, Violet Lynn Gardner, are hereby expelled."

"What?" Violet said, crying. "I did nothing wrong!"

"Wait, how? What? Why? Cesca, I need context!" I said, still in shock that I had won the battle against Violet Gardner.

"Okay, so ever since Violet first bullied Cat about the crash, I've been wondering what to do. The second time it happened, I recorded the audio of it in secret. I've been recording everything since August, and forwarding it to Elle after school, after I knew you told her. Then, I got a bright idea. None of the teachers will believe that you're related to Jessica, or that the crash ever happened, so here!" Cesca thrust my adoption certificate plus Jessica's medical papers in my hands. "I pulled some strings. No one is gonna touch you now, Catlynn McLemore."

I quickly put the papers in my backpack and turned to Violet. "You owe me and my entire family an apology." I said.

"No I don't. Cesca is lying." Violet said. "Those aren't real. Jessica died a long time ago."

"What?" Cesca said, stifling her giggles. "Do you seriously have the audacity to say that Catlynn's aunt died, even when I've seen her about 8 times since the crash?"

"Yeah, because you're lying." Violet said.

"Please don't believe her. I can call Jessica if you want, to show you proof." I said to the principal, who nodded.

I scrolled through my contacts and called Jessica, waiting for an answer. Violet was smirking at me the whole time.

No answer.

"See? I did nothing wrong. Jess won't answer because she's dead. And you're not 'their little Sunshine,' you're Catherine Reeve. That's the only thing you'll ever be." Violet said.

"Don't call me Sunshine." I said coldly.

"Ma'am? Catlynn's bullying me." Violet said to the principal. The principal looked at me and said, "We have a zero tolerance bullying policy at this school."

"Oh really? Then why haven't you expelled Violet Gardner earlier? She literally ruined my life since the crash. I've been through more than most adults. I almost lost my aunt, dad, and sister in the span of 3 months. 3 months! And my ex-boyfriend, my best friend, died!" I yelled.

"That's not the way you speak to authority, Catherine!" the principal said.

"Seriously? You're calling me Catherine too? You do understand, Catherine is not my name! It's what my father always called me, because he was too drunk to remember my own name! My name is Catlynn McLemore!" I yelled.

I'm about to get in serious trouble, aren't I?

"I'm sorry, Catlynn. Force of habit. But that's not the way you speak to authority. You are suspended for the rest of the week." the principal said.

That's it. My family's gonna hate me now. I ran to the bathroom, crying, and called Elle.

"Mommy..." I said once Elle picked up.

"Sunshine? What's wrong, baby?" Elle said. I started sobbing and said, "I'm sorry, Mommy...I got suspended from school..."

"What? Why?" Elle said. She didn't sound mad, which was good.

"Cesca finally stood up to Violet Gardner...who started to get on my case again and stretch the truth so she wouldn't get expelled. The principal thought I was the one at fault and suspended me once I exploded at her..." I said. "I get it if you hate me..."

"Oh, Sunshine...I would never hate you. I believe you, I'm not mad at you." Elle said. "Let me come and pick you up, and we can all talk about it at home."

"Okay..." I said.

_______

At home, Jessica looked at me and said, "Why are you home so early?"

"I got suspended for no reason." I said, storming to my room. Jessica grabbed my arm and said, "Was it your fault?"

"No..." I said.

"I know it wasn't your fault. Elle told me the whole story. Come here, my little Heather." Jessica said.

"You haven't called me that in forever." I said.

"I know. It's my special nickname for you." Jessica said. I sat on the couch and fell into Jessica. Jessica hugged me close and kissed my forehead. "I love you so much. We'll deal with Violet Gardner for you. You never have to fight it alone anymore."

"Thanks..." I said. "But I do have to."

"No, you don't. Now, let's watch a movie."

"Yay! Movies and cuddles!" I said.

"Always." Elle said.

AN: Remember when I said in ABMG that I'm taking a break from evil plans? Yeah, that break lasted an hour. Hehe, I know I'm evil. Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!