Troubles There Are Few

Cat's blanket.

The one thing that Cat left on the couch was her blanket. 

The paramedics had just left, and I was on the phone with Elle, explaining the situation and trying not to sob my eyes out. 

Every single time I'm alone with Cat, something horrible happens. First it was the time that I offered to take her to her blood test. The very next day, she wound up in the hospital and then ran off. The second time, it was when she found out Red was moving and she hurt her knee. Then she slipped in a coma and almost died.

I would've never forgave myself if Cat died.

The next order of business: getting to the hospital to make sure Cat's okay. I snapped out of my mindset and ran to my car, getting in the front seat and speeding off in the darkness.

It was 2:30 in the morning. And I was heading to the children's hospital. 

______

I was standing in the lobby of the hospital, clutching Cat's blanket to my chest and trying to work up the courage to go into her hospital room.

"Come on, Katie." I said to myself. "She just hurt her knee, she's not in a coma or anything. You're acting like she could die during the night." I probably looked like such a baby. 

I took a deep breath and headed down the hallway to Cat's hospital room, which the nurse had written on an index card for me. 

I found the correct room and quietly opened the door. 

I looked around the room. Cat was curled up into a tiny ball, covered with hospital blankets. A monitor was beeping softly in the corner, and Cat's arm had an IV in it. 

I ran over to the sleeping Cat and stroked her hair. Cat stirred a little and I felt bad, I didn't want to wake her up. She hasn't gotten enough sleep as it is. 

"K-Katie..." I heard Cat mumble. She rubbed her eyes and sat up.

"Hi, Sunshine." I said softly to Cat. Cat smiled and threw her arms around me, sobbing into my chest.

"I'm sorry...this is my fault..." Cat whispered. I kissed her head and said, "It's not your fault, Sunshine. It's mine. We should be having a fun night together and now we're both in a hospital."

"Because of me." Cat said softly. I hugged Cat and said, "No, because of me. I should've checked in on you. I should've been more careful." 

"It's not your fault, Katie. It's just a bunch of very rotten luck. Stop blaming all my hospital trips on yourself." Cat said, gently hugging me.

"Hey, how's your knee?" I asked. Cat pulled down the blanket and showed me her knee in a knee brace, her kneecap red and swollen.

"They put it back in place. But it still hurts a bit and it's still super swollen." Cat said. Cat grabbed my hand and squeezed it, and I squeezed back. 

"Can we cuddle?" Cat asked softly. I nodded and held my niece in a hug.

"I'm sorry Auntie..." Cat said, choking on her words a little. I felt horrible. She was apologizing for something she was absolutely not at fault for. 

"Hey, it's not your fault. At all." I said, stroking Cat's hair. Cat seemed to relax a little, so I started rocking her back and forth.

"Katie?" Cat asked softly. I kissed Cat's head and said, "Yeah, Sunshine?"

"I want to go home." Cat said. 

"I know. Just a little longer, then we can keep having fun." I said. 

A lightbulb went off in my head. I held Cat close and started counting softly in her ear. No one else knew about this, not even Elle. It was a calming method I used with Cat when I first met her, and it was mine and mine only. 

"1...2...3..." I whispered.

By the time I got to 6, Cat was fast asleep in my arms.

____________________________________________________________________________

Catlynn's POV

I woke up not knowing where I was. When the world came into focus, I saw Elle sitting on the chair in the living room.

I was home.

I threw myself in Elle's arms, crying. Katie pulled me back and said, "Sunshine! Watch out for your knee!"

Oops. I forgot I hurt my knee. Again. I giggled and hugged Elle again, not really noticing or caring about the brace on my knee. 

"Was she a good girl?" Elle said to Katie, pulling me on her lap. 

"She was perfect." Katie said. I looked at the mess in the kitchen. 

"You two made a mess." Elle said. I laughed and said, "Katie wanted me to make the frozen pizza you were saving for this weekend."

Elle looked at Katie, who shot me a Help me look. 

"It was my idea." Katie said, lying right through her teeth. I laughed and threw my arms around Elle. 

"Can I tell you a secret?" Elle asked me. I nodded and then Elle said, "I didn't actually have to go anywhere tonight. I wanted to get you ready for D.C. so I stayed at a hotel with Jess."

"So you...wanted to help me?" I asked.

"Yes. I wanted you to see how it feels for a night, just to make sure you really wanted to do this." Elle said. I smiled and said, "I'm ready, Mommy. I can do this."

"Do what?" Jessica asked. I waved to her and pulled out my phone, showing Elle, Jess, and Katie the email. The email that showed I really was going to D.C.

"I'm going to D.C." I said.

AN: IT ENDED WELL. Everyone happy? Good. Everyone's happy. I'm writing this while SCREAMING showtunes at the top of my lungs like the geek I am. Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!