Brains In My Head and Feet In My Shoes

It's been a few days since I left the awful place that was Hamilton Middle School, and Elle and Jessica were constantly on their computers, trying to get me into any school they could.

"ELLE! Come here!" Jessica yelled. Elle ran over to Jessica, who pointed at the computer. "Why don't we get her in the lottery for charter school? This one is for grades 8-12, so she doesn't have to switch schools for high school. Cat, come take a look."

I skipped over to Jessica's computer and looked at the website. It looked pretty cool!

"They have an amazing music program, Cat. And a dance program. Your two passions." Jessica said, and I lit up. A chance to do my two passions at school? Yes please.

"And you like geography, right?" Elle asked, and I nodded. "You can take AP Human Geography there for high school."

I nodded. I was really excited. But I still haven't told Red, Cesca, or Axel that I left Hamilton. I was worried they were gonna ditch me for a better friend. Which I couldn't afford, they were my best and only friends, besides Astrid.

"I'm scared that my friends are gonna leave me once they realize I'm gone." I said, crying. Elle hugged me and said, "Good friends will never forget you, Cat. And you'll make new friends. You're here for a fresh new start. We don't even know if you got in the school yet." I nodded, maybe they were right. Maybe this is a new beginning for me.

Or maybe this will all go down in flames. There's always gonna be Violet Gardners in the world. I wasn't out of the woods just yet.

"I'm fine with whatever school, just not private school. Private school was the worst place ever. Here, I have a picture from my sixth grade yearbook." I ran to my room and pulled out my sixth grade yearbook from my closet, I'm not even sure why I still have that thing.

I flipped the pages until I saw me. I wasn't even smiling in the picture. My hair wasn't as long as it was back in April, it was a little over my shoulders back then and slightly wavy. And it was in two braids, which was a school rule. I cringed at the name under the picture, Catlynn Reeve. At least my last name is changed now.

"That...that's you?" Jessica asked. I nodded sadly.

"No offense, but a school uniform does not suit you." Elle said, and I laughed. "That thing was so uncomfortable. And my school didn't even have a decent theater program!"

"That's just...no. I'm glad you never went back there." Jessica said, and I started giggling.

Suddenly, someone pounded on the front door. Elle looked through the peephole and said, "Why is Alice here?" then she opened the door.

"Hey!" Elle said, hugging Alice. Alice pointed to me and said, "Why isn't Cat at school?"

"I got expelled, no biggie!" I said casually. Alice gasped wide-eyed and said, "Um...explain?"

"Cat sent you the online petition, right?" Jessica asked, and Alice nodded.

"So, it reached it's goal, and Violet stretched the truth so Cat got expelled. The only way that it wouldn't go on her permanent record was if Elle withdrew her from the school, which she did. So Elle and I are looking at schools for Cat, and I just put her in a charter school lottery. But for now, she's homeschooled." Jessica said. I crawled into Jessica's lap and she mindlessly played with my hair. It felt really good and calming, like nothing could hurt me.

"Am I in trouble?" I asked. Alice looked at Jessica and said, "No, you're not in trouble. It's obvious Violet's the one at fault." Jessica and Elle nodded in approval. I just sighed.

My phone vibrated and I picked it up. My friend Angus from dance had texted me.

Angus: Hey Cat, what's up? I heard rumors that you got expelled from school. Are you okay? I saw the petition, and I thought "there is no way that Cat would do something like that." It's not true, right?
Cat: No. Jess put me in the lottery for charter school, and I'm homeschooled for now.
Angus: I go to charter school! What a coincidence!
Cat: Ha. Well, hope I get in. Wanna come over?
Angus: Sure!

"Hey, Elle, my friend Angus from dance is coming over." I said. Elle nodded and then the doorbell rang.

Angus ran in when I opened the door and hugged me. "Cat! I missed you!" Angus said, laughing. I hugged him and I saw Jessica nudge Elle out of the corner of my eye.

"Shut up. He's not my crush." I said. Alice started cackling and I groaned. "He's my best friend from dance. And he goes to that school Jess applied me for!"

Jessica nodded and said, "That's great! If you do get in, you'd have a friend!"

"I hang out with the jocks, but the nice jocks. Cat will fit right in." Angus said, laughing. "Hey, Cat, wanna meet them?" I nodded and Angus pulled out his phone and called a boy.

"Yo, Angus! Who's the girl?" the boy asked.

"Shut up, Grayson. Her name is Cat. She's applying for our school. I dance ballet with her. Cat, this is Grayson."

I awkwardly waved and Jessica smiled behind me.

"Yo, Cat! You seem cool. You look really cute, too." Grayson said. I blushed. Grayson seemed to have a crush on me at first sight.

"Yeah?" I asked, trying to flirt. I suck at flirting.

"Well, um, my mom wants me. See ya later, Cat." Grayson said, then he hung up.

"I gotta bounce too." Angus said. He gave me a quick hug and left.

Going to a new school might not be that bad.

AN: So someone has a crush on Cat. That's a first. Hehehe. Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!