It's My Favorite Moment Of The Bee

"I'm nervous." I said, getting dressed for the Geography Bee.

"You got this. You're so smart and amazing. You're going to rock it. You studied, you worked, you paid the price." Elle said. I have never seen my family so dressed up before. Evan, Jon, and Ryan were in suits and ties, and Elle, Alice, Barrett, Jess, and Katie were in nice dresses. 

I was in a nice dress, with my hair twisted. The blue was semi-permanent and only lasted for 5 days, it had nearly washed out. But I took an extra shower just in case. 

"You ready to go?" Elle asked, and I nodded. My whole family was piled in 2 different cars. 

___________

"You got this, Cat." Red said, wishing me good luck. I was standing in the school gymnasium as families filed into the bleachers.

"Thanks." I said, putting on the lanyard that had my number attached to it. My number was 8. 

"Your family's out there. Just warning you, your brother brought a video camera." Red said, laughing. 

"EVAN!" I cried.

"The bee's about to start. You got this, Kit. Love you." Red said, hugging me.

"Love you too, Red."

__________

"Welcome to the Hamilton Middle School Geography Bee!" the principal said, and the audience applauded. 

"I am so proud of these 9 students who tested into the bee. The students with the top 3 test scores have gotten into the bee, 3 from every grade. And the winner will get a $200 cash prize and be invited to compete in the state Geography Bee for a chance to compete in Nationals."

I blushed. A chance to compete in the National Geography Bee? Yes please. 

"And now, let the bee commence!" 

I looked out into the audience, trying to find my family or people I knew. I saw Ryan frantically wave, then saw my family in a giant group on the bleachers. 

I stared off into space for a second, then heard, "Miss McLemore."

Me. It was my turn. 

I got up and made my way to the microphone.

"How many provinces does Canada have-ten or thirteen?" the judge said.

You know this, Cat. You studied this. 

"Ten. Is that correct?" I said shyly. 

"That is correct!" I heard. I smiled widely as Jessica started screaming. 

"Shut up!" I mouthed to her as I headed back to my seat. 

While I wasn't looking, 3 people got eliminated.

The final 4. Me, Violet Gardner, and 2 seventh graders were left. I had a chance.

If I won this, it would be the first thing that would make me stand out from my perfect family. 

"Miss Gardner."

Violet was going up. I sighed and looked up at her. I saw Jessica flash me a thumbs-up out of the corner of my eye.

"Which country lies to the west of Austria-Slovenia or Switzerland?" the judge asked.

Violet took a deep breath and said, "Switzerland." 

"That is correct!"

The 2 seventh graders got eliminated soon enough.

Down to the final two. Me and Violet.