Don't Worry, I'm Not Nervous

"What?" I said softly, subtly crying. Elle hugged me close and kissed my head. "No. This can't be happening. No. I don't want another transfusion. No." I said over and over, hoping someone would listen.

"Is there any way you can...postpone it?" Evan asked, and the nurse shook her head. I started crying and said, "I don't want any more needles!"

"I know. I know you don't want needles." Elle said softly. "I have some ideas."

"Oh no. You have an idea. What's the idea?" I asked. Elle kissed my cheek and rocked me back and forth. "Are you sure you're okay?" Elle asked.

"Answer my question." I snapped. Elle sighed and said, "You have your blankie, right? I can read to you, or sing, I can cuddle you, whatever will help you."

"I have an idea." Evan said. Elle looked at Evan, who said, "Cat, do you want me to massage or tickle your feet while they're putting the needle in? It might help." I nodded happily, and Evan kissed my head. 

We went to a small treatment room and I sat on Elle's lap. I started to cry, the nerves were coming back. Elle held me tightly and kissed my cheek. Jessica handed me my blanket and I hugged it close.

"I can't do this..." I said, crying hard. Elle kissed my head and said, "I know this is scary. But you've done this before and it'll be done in a flash."

I reluctantly nodded, then Elle said, "It'll only pinch for a second." I sighed and Evan kneeled down and said "Take off your shoes." I did, and Evan started massaging my feet. It was oddly relaxing to me, and I started to get sleepy.

I curled up on Elle's chest and closed my eyes. Evan was massaging my feet and making me sleepy, which I was kind of grateful for. Sleeping might help me through this. Elle kissed my head and said, "You getting sleepy there, Sunshine?" I nodded through half-closed eyes and Elle stroked my hair.

Right before I drifted off, I felt the pinch. It wasn't as bad as the last times.

"Sweet dreams, Sunshine." Elle said softly.

________

I woke up back in my hospital bed. My whole family was there, smiling at me.

"Hi." I said. Everyone waved, and Elle said, "Look down at your arm."

I looked down and there was a purple Band-Aid on my arm. Where the IV was.

"You did it. You had another transfusion." Elle said softly. She threw herself on my bed and hugged me tight. "I'm so proud of you."

"I guess things aren't as bad when you're used to them." I said. "But I have one question. Why did I need another one?"

"They found something a little off and just wanted to be safe. You're fine now, I promise. You never have to deal with a transfusion for at least another 10 years, I hope." Elle said.

"You hope. But you're not sure." I laughed. Elle kissed my head and said, "I hope. I won't make any promises, but your blood seems good for now."

"Do you guys want to play a game?" Evan asked. "Also, Sunshine, cool hospital gown."

I giggled at the purple hospital gown I had on. It had stars and planets all over it. "Yeah, this thing is pretty cool. Also, I have kind of a serious question."

"Yeah, Sunshine?" Jessica asked. I sighed and said, "Will I ever need surgery again?"

"I hope not, but there's always the chance. A small chance, but it's not impossible. That's all I'm gonna say." Jessica said. Elle nodded in agreement, and I said, "I hope I don't have to go under anesthesia again. I hate anesthesia. It makes me feel like I'm trapped with no way out, especially since I have so much trouble sleeping as it is."

"That makes sense. Total sense. We totally get it. But if you do have to go into surgery in the future, we'll all be there. I promise you." Evan said. I smiled and giggled.

"When can we go home?" Alice whined. "I've been in hospitals enough."

"You sound like me." I said, laughing my butt off. "But seriously, Elle, when can we go home?" Elle looked around awkwardly, then said, "When Sunshine gets better."

"But I was never sick!" I said, laughing. "Unless there's something you guys didn't tell me, I'm fine!" Elle shrugged and said, "True. But you do have a chronic illness, so to be fair, were you ever healthy?" I shrugged and giggled.

"Enough with the hospitals and chronic illnesses. Let's have some fun, even though we're on the third floor of a children's hospital." Jessica said. "Seriously, in March, I had no idea I would spend so much time at the children's hospital."

"Neither did I, to be honest." I said. "I didn't know about my blood condition until Elle told me. I didn't expect there to be a car crash."

"No one expected the car crash, but it unfortunately happened. No one expected me to get a daughter, but that happened, and I would not trade you for the world." Elle said. "You're my whole world, Sunshine. My whole world and more."

I smiled and hugged Elle. My mom. I never talked to my birth mom. She sort of abandoned me once the abuse started getting bad. But with Elle, I had a mom. With the Heathers cast, I had a whole family. And I loved my family.

"Do I have to stay overnight?" I asked, snapping back to reality.

"Maybe. I think you have to stay one more night." Elle said, and I nodded.

"I'm gonna go to sleep now. I love you guys." I said.

"Love you too, Sunshine." I heard right before drifting off.

AN: Cat may or may not be in the hospital a while, just warning you. And the irony of this is, I'm listening to BMC while writing my Heathers fic. Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!