So Let The Speakers Blow

"Wake up, Sunshine! We have a surprise!" Elle said. I groggily sat up in bed.

"Elle McLemore. It's 6:00 in the morning on a Saturday. Why do you want me up this early?" Elle laughed, and said, "We're going back to the theater for today. Surprise." I shot up out of bed and said, "Wait, what? For what?" 

"To help you practice. Do you not remember our conversation yesterday?" Elle said, tickling me.

"Elle! Stop!" I said. Elle picked me up and flipped me back on the bed. "Get dressed. We're having fun." I pulled out my Heathers T-shirt and a pair of leggings and got in the shower. When I got out, I pulled out my phone and checked my email, waiting for a very important one to come in. 

It came. The email from the dance studio about the Nutcracker cast list. I had lied to everyone about auditions being next week, there actually weren't any in-person auditions. I had sent in a tape of me dancing, and now the results were here.

I scrolled down, and I found my name on the cast list. 

I got a solo. A solo in the Nutcracker. Along with playing a little girl in the party scene at the beginning and a duet with a girl I didn't know. 

I couldn't keep the secret any longer. I ran out of my room and fell on the sofa bed, out of breath. Jessica laughed and said, "What's so exciting?" 

"Ok, this may sound super weird...but I lied to you about Nutcracker auditions...I sent in a tape last week and the cast list just came out this morning...and I got a solo!"

Elle and Jessica looked at each other, then Elle screamed, "Sunshine! I'm so proud of you!" She hugged me, and said, "Did you get any other dances?"

I nodded, and said, "A duet and then I play a little girl in the party scene at the beginning. Not Clara, just a random ensemble girl." Jessica clapped, and said, "Well, we have no time to waste. Let's go!" Jess slowly stood up, then Elle motioned for her to sit back down. "Wait until Cat has all her stuff in the car. She can fit under your arm and keep you upright."

"Aren't you and Cat the same height?" Jessica asked. Elle sighed, and said, "You're right." then helped Jess stand up and get to the car.

While they were doing that, I packed up my ballet slippers, my sheet music, and my saxophone. Then I ran out to the car and we drove to the theater.

I hadn't seen the theater in about a month. I missed it so much. 

When we got inside, Jessica sat down in the audience, and I saw Ryan, Katie, Alice, Barrett, Evan, and Jon there as well.

"Another episode of 'Elle's Taking This Practice Thing Way Too Seriously.' Featuring, the principles of Heathers." Evan said. He put me on his shoulders and said, "You're doing so much with your life, little sis. I'm proud of you." He put me down on the stage, and Elle said, "Alright! Everyone, Cat has news to share."

Everyone looked at me, and I said, "So um...I may have lied to everyone about Nutcracker auditions being next week. I had to send in a tape last week and I got the cast list email today. And...I got a solo!" Everyone clapped, and I said, "I'm not spoiling that for you." and everyone groaned in response.

"Come on!" Katie said. "We've been waiting weeks for this!" 

"You'll live." I said. "I did get in a group dance. And a duet. That's the dance me, Elle, and Evan practiced."

"Evan wore a skirt." Jessica said proudly, and everyone laughed at Evan. Evan said, "For five seconds!"

"Ha-ha, very funny." Ryan said, and I said, "Are all of you willing to be in a children's party scene?"