Catlynn's Trying To Keep Him Out Now...

"How's that for a karaoke night?" Vera said. I laughed softly. 

"I never knew Cat was such a good singer! She's usually so quiet!" Angus said. 

"Well, maybe not 'quiet.' But I'm definitely not extroverted." I laughed, playing with my hair. I still wasn't used to charter school. I still missed Hamilton, even though it was a horrible place with horrible people. 

"Let's go to band. Our instruments are calling, and I must go." Ebony said. I laughed, popping in my headphones. 

We walked into the band room and got our instruments set up. Angus was tuning his guitar, while Vera was emptying the spit out of her trombone. I was getting warmed up with my sax, and over the weekend, I had gotten news that I hadn't told anyone in my family yet.

I had gotten accepted into a music festival for high school students. As an eighth grader. I hadn't told Elle or Jessica or anyone just yet. I was waiting for the right time. 

We were getting ready to rehearse our first piece for the winter concert, when the classroom phone rang.

"Uh-huh...oh goodness...I'll send her right down..." the band director said.

"Who's in trouble now?" Angus groaned. 

"Catlynn. You're being dismissed." the band director said, turning towards me. I was confused. Who was picking me up early, and why?

I grabbed my stuff and headed down to the front office, and to my surprise, Katie was sitting in a chair. I ran towards her and hugged her tightly, and she put me on her lap. 

"What's going on? Am I being expelled again?" I said, whispering the last part under my breath.

"No, it's nothing like that. Um, Elle got a call that your father escaped from jail again." Katie said.

"AGAIN?" I yelled. "That's the third time!"

"We know, and they're trying to find him. But in the meantime, you're hiding out with me." Katie said.

"You're saying that like I'm the criminal." I said. 

"You're not the criminal, okay? Now let's go." Katie said, putting me down and taking my hand. "Don't leave my side, okay? Just in case he's looking for us." 

"He probably is, knowing him. And you're the last person he would want revenge on. Elle and Jess are at the top of his list. And since he already failed getting revenge on them...I'm next." I said, terrified. 

"Don't say stuff like that, Catlynn. It scares me." Katie said.

"Imagine how I feel." I mumbled under my breath as I got in Katie's car. She started speeding, and then we pulled into her apartment. 

"Come on, Cat. We have no time to lose. I'm getting worried." Katie said. I ran in and then I heard police sirens in the distance. 

"What the heck was that, then?" I yelled, covering my ears. 

"Don't worry, Sunshine. We're in New York, there's police everywhere." Katie said, rubbing my back. I started to sway anxiously on my feet.

"Do you know what your dad's car looks like? Just in case?" Katie asked. 

"He doesn't have a car." I said. "He takes taxis and buses and walks everywhere." 

"That does not help." Katie said. She then gave me a hug and said, "Sunshine...are you scared? Because I am."

"Kind of. But this is the third time he's escaped from jail and has come to find me." I said. 

"Listen, I will do anything in my power to make sure he doesn't succeed. You're going to be okay, my sweet little Sunshine." Katie said, hugging me tightly. It felt so good, like nothing could hurt me. 

"What if he does succeed, Katie? What if I die?" I asked. 

"I would never let that happen, Sunshine. You have to trust me, okay?" Katie said, kissing my forehead. I could see the horror in Katie's eyes. I think she was preparing for the worst. 

"Is something wrong?" I asked, playing dumb. I knew exactly what was wrong. We were both terrified for my life. 

Katie said nothing. She just took my hands and started to sing.

"I was just a no one only yesterday. You showed up and showed me something more. Now I've become a someone who has someone to believe in and to be there for..." Katie sung softly. "You're my someone, Sunshine."

I smiled softly, totally forgetting about my dad and the fact that he was looking for me. 

Then suddenly, there was a harsh knock on the door. I froze in fear and ran in a closet. 

"Calm down, Sunshine, okay? I'll go see who it is." Katie said. I opened the door slightly and peeked out.

"Don't! Please! Trust me, it's for your safety. And mine!" I yelled.

"Maybe it's just your mom. I told her I was taking you." Katie said, looking through the peephole. She turned back and looked at me with horror in her eyes.

"T-that's not your mom...that is not your mom." Katie said. She motioned for me to shut the door. Her facial expressions said everything I needed to know. My dad was here. 

"How the heck did your dad find me?" Katie asked. 

"He probably saw me and followed me." I said. "Call 911." 

Katie did as I asked her, running in the bathroom. The apartment got awfully quiet, and the knocking stopped.

My dad probably thought no one was home. Which was a relief. 

Until I heard a doorknob turning. My dad had picked the lock. 

"KATIE! GET OUT HERE!" I yelled. Katie ran to me and said, "What's wrong?"

"Go hold the door closed. Quick. My dad's trying to pick the lock." I said. Katie held the door shut, then she made a makeshift lock.

"Good thinking!" I said. "Now what do you want to do with me?" 

"Go hide in the bathroom closet." Katie said. I sprinted to the bathroom and kneeled down, terrified for my life. 

I wanted to call Elle or Jessica. But I knew it wasn't safe. Not when my dad wanted revenge on them, too. 

"S-Sunshine?" I heard Katie say. I let out a soft "Yeah?"

"It didn't work. He's in the apartment."

AN: HAHAHAHA! Cliffhanger! It's been a while since I gave y'all a cliffhanger, so I'm gonna do it here! Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!