Are We On For Movie Night?

Ever since the crash, I found myself talking to a picture of me and Jessica. Her phone shattered in the crash, so I couldn't call her. Talking to the picture helped me, and Elle knew this. Ryan was out of the hospital and he was helping me through this.

As for the trip to Florida, that was postponed to Christmas break. We decided it was more appropriate for me to be with my family rather than with my friends.

I heard a knock on the door, and I said, "Who is it?"

"It's Elle. I'm the only other person in this house." Elle laughed, and sat on my bed. "How are you holding up?"

"Horribly. I miss Jess." Elle hugged me, and said, "I know. I know you miss her. But that's exactly what I wanted to talk to you about." I curled up into a ball and got ready to hear the news I was preparing to hear for weeks. That Jess was dead.

"It didn't get worse, did it?" I asked.

"No, Sunshine. In fact, Jessica's almost better. She's getting out of the hospital in 2 days, right before you go back to school." I smiled like an idiot, this was amazing news.

"Wait, what?" I squealed.

"She's going to be staying with us when she gets out. She can't drive you to school as planned, but we'll figure it out." I nodded, and Elle said, "So, I was wondering if you wanted to go to the hospital with me. Jess wanted to have a movie night with you." I squealed, and Elle said, "We'll be staying overnight, obviously, so grab some extra clothes."

I dug in my dresser, and my heart cracked.

Jessica's sweatshirt was on the top of the pile.

I took a sniff of it and packed it away in my backpack, along with my Heathers T-shirt and a pair of gray sweatpants, the ones I wore when I got beat up by my brother. I sighed, put on my light pink Converse, and got in Elle's car.

"Ready to go?" When she noticed my backpack, she said, "You're bringing everything Jessica gave you. Sunshine...do you miss her that much?"

I nodded, and said, "Just in case." I think Elle knew what I meant.

____________

I've seen the hospital parking lot way too much this year. Elle pulled into a parking spot, and noticed me taking a deep breath.

"I hope this is the last time I come here." I said.

"I hope so too." Elle said.

"Remember after one of my surgeries when you said the worst was over?" I said. Elle nodded, and I said, "I got beat up the very next day. Then my dad climbed through the window. Then you got sick. Then Heathers closed. Then...then the crash." Elle sighed, and said, "I know I promised you it was over. But you've just gotten stronger because of all this. I know it sucks but you're a strong girl."

I got out of the car and grabbed my stuff, and Elle grabbed my hand.

A few minutes later, we walked into Jessica's hospital room. To my relief, she was looking so much better than when I last saw her.

"Cat!" she cried. "Come here." I sat on Jessica's hospital bed and she pulled me into a hug, which surprised me. But it felt so good to be able to hug her again that I cried.

"I missed you." I whispered in Jessica's chest. Jessica kissed the top of my head and said, "I missed you too, Cat, believe me."

"I thought I lost you. Seriously." I said.

Elle was setting up the laptop. "I have a surprise."

"What?" Jessica asked.

"We're watching a cringy romance movie.." Elle said. I was cracking up and Jessica looked mortified. "Oh, come on, Jess, it'll be fun!" I said.

"Give me the laptop or so help me." Jessica said, and proceeded to yell at Elle while I was cracking up. Elle pulled it away from Jessica, who said, "Fine! We'll watch the stupid movie." and I clapped.

"Cat? You want chicken nuggets?" Elle asked, and handed me a bag from Chick-fil-A.

"Chicken nuggets and sappy romance movies. How very." I said, and Jessica started laughing her head off.

Elle clicked play on the video and I snuggled into Jessica.

"This is horrible." Jessica said.

"Deal." I said. Jessica laughed, and suddenly, her and Elle both yelled, "Turn it off!"

Around 30 minutes in, Jessica and Elle were both screaming in disgust.

"Let me watch the dang movie!" I said.

__________

About an hour later, I started to get tired. But I was too scared to fall asleep.

"I need to stay awake..." I said to myself. Jessica heard this and said, "Cat, if you're tired, go to sleep. I'm right here."

"No, you don't understand. I am tired, I'm just..."

"Scared." Elle said. "Jess, she's worried you're going to die when she's not looking." Jess smiled sadly at me, then said, "Come here."

I snuggled closer into Jessica and she said, "Relax, Cat. I got you." She starting running her finger up my nose and across my forehead. "I know you're tired and you want to sleep but you won't let yourself. If you just close your eyes, you'll sleep. I promise."

I eventually fell into a light sleep, feeling the weight of Jessica's arm around me.

AN: Don't we just love happy endings? I know I do. I cannot guarantee it'll be all rainbows and unicorns from here on in, though, no one sue me. Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!