You're The One I Choose

I woke up at 3 in the morning, in the midst of a breakdown. I knew Elle was sleeping, so I reached over for my phone and tried to call Jessica. I scrolled through my contacts on FaceTime and clicked on "Jessica Keenan-Wynn."

It rang for what seemed like an eternity, and then Jessica answered.

"Hey, Cat. What are you doing up this early?" I felt bad. She looked like she had just woken up to answer my call.

"Jess...I'm so sorry for waking you...but I'm having a bad breakdown...and...and Elle's not up." Jessica scrambled out of bed, and said, "I'll be right there. I'll stay on the phone. Take a deep breath, okay?"

I started crying, and said, "I don't want to wake up Elle!" Jessica said, "Ssh...it's okay if you wake up Elle. She's your mother, and I don't think she'll be mad. In the meantime, take a deep breath for me." I tried to get a breath in, and Jessica said, "That's a good start. Do you have water near you?" I shook my head, and Jessica said, "I'm almost there." I heard a knock on the front door, and I heard Elle get up.

Crap. I woke up Elle.

"Jessica?" Elle asked. "Can't talk. Catlynn's having a breakdown." Jessica said, and Elle said, "Why didn't she tell me?" Jessica said, "She didn't want to wake you."

I heard a knock on the door, and I felt someone pull me into their arms. It was Elle.

"Hey, hey, hey, Sunshine, are you okay?" Elle said. Jessica sighed, took my hand, and said, "Hey, it's Jessica. See, I kept my promise. I'm here." Elle smiled at her and proceeded to sing Kindergarten Boyfriend to me until I calmed down.

"The poor girl..." Jessica whispered to Elle. Elle looked up at her then looked at me. "Let's get you to bed." she said.

_______

Jessica's POV

I looked at the sweet, beautiful girl in Elle's arms. She did not deserve what she went through, at all. Elle looked like she was about to fall asleep on Cat, which was funny. Usually it was the other way around.

"Elle." I whispered to her, and she looked at me. "Let me get her to sleep. Go to bed." Elle sighed and said, "I'm her mother. She needs me." Elle looked like she was about to cry. I said, "Oh, Elle, you work too hard. I know it's hard being an actress and a new parent at the same time, especially with a teenager who's gone through more horrors than any adult I know. Take a break. I got her." Elle kissed Catlynn on the head and I saw her eyes flutter open. "I love you." I heard Cat whisper to Elle. Elle hugged Cat tight and said, "I love you too, my Sunshine." Catlynn grabbed onto me and I took her in my arms. Elle left Catlynn's room and quietly shut the door.

"Hey. Are you tired?" I asked.

Catlynn buried herself in my chest, and said, "Kind of." I knew that Elle sometimes rocked Cat back and forth to get her to sleep, so I tried it. And it worked. Catlynn was asleep in my arms within minutes. I picked her up and put her down in her bed.

"I love you, Jessica." Catlynn said. I kissed Catlynn on the forehead and said, "I love you too."

I took off my sweatshirt that I brought with me and slipped it in Catlynn's arms. I knew Elle gave Cat a sweatshirt of hers as a comfort item.

I felt someone tap me on the shoulder, and it was Elle.

"Aren't you going to be cold?" Elle said.

"Cat's more important." I said, noticing she was sound asleep, hugging my sweatshirt. Elle hugged me, and said, "Thanks for being there for her."

I sighed, and said, "Always. I'm sorry I made it look like Cat liked me more than you." Elle quietly giggled, and said, "She really does like you. You're like her aunt." I sighed, and looked at Catlynn. "I have an idea." I said. "Where's her journal?"

"The one Ryan gave her? It's in her backpack." Elle said, pointing to a tie-dye backpack on the floor. I opened the backpack and pulled out a purple journal and a pen.

Dear Catlynn, I started to write.

I hope you're feeling okay. Don't ever be afraid to ask for help. I love you so much, and Elle does too. Sweet dreams.
~Jessica

I put the journal on her bed and kissed her forehead again. Elle smiled, and said, "You're a good aunt. I'm glad I have you."

I looked back at Catlynn before going home.

________
Catlynn's POV

I woke up to sunlight blinding me through my window. I sat up and realized that my journal was on the foot of my bed.

I opened the journal, and Jessica had written me a note. I texted her a quick, Thanks for the note and thanks for helping me last night.

I heard a knock on my door and Elle opened it.

"Hey, Sunshine, how are you feeling?" I shrugged, and Elle hugged me. "Are you okay?" I sighed, and said, "I'm scared everyone's going to forget about me."

Elle looked at me with her wide brown eyes and said, "We're not going to forget about you. Ever. You're family." I started crying, and Elle said, "Hey, it's your birthday. Don't cry. You have a party today at 2PM."

I opened my phone, and there were texts from the Heathers cast.

HAPPY 13TH BIRTHDAY SUNSHINE! CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE A TEENAGER! LOVE YOU!"- Ryan
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Catlynn, happy birthday to you! So excited for your party! Love you!- Katie
Can't believe you're 13! You're so beautiful and amazing! Can't wait to see you shine!- Barrett
Happy 13th, Cat!- Evan
Happy birthday! Can't wait for your party, beautiful girl!- Alice
I love you, Cat. Hope you have the best 13th birthday ever!- Jessica

Happy birthday, kid!"- Jon.

I smiled, and responded to all the texts. Then, Cesca texted me.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, OLIVE!!!! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU! MISS YOU!- Cesca "Leaf" Sawyer

I couldn't wait to see the Spelling Bee cast again. I missed them.

"Let's go get ready." Elle kissed me on the head and said, "Happy birthday, Sunshine girl."

AN: BET YOU DIDN'T EXPECT THAT CAT'S BIRTHDAY WOULD BE IN THIS CHAPTER!!! Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!