She Was Sweet, She Said That I Was Smart

Jessica's POV

I wasn't used to being in such an empty theater. But I didn't care. I needed to find Catlynn. For Elle. For me.

Wait. Didn't Catlynn have a phone? I pulled out my phone and scrolled through the contacts until I found "Catlynn Reeve." I called the number and waited.

"Hello?" someone said. Then it hit me. That wasn't Catlynn. Someone else had her phone.

"Hi...Is Catlynn dead?" I asked.

"I hope not. It's Elle. Her phone was in the backseat of my car." Elle said. She was crying.

"Wait. Catlynn's dead?" someone said from behind me. I turned around and it was Ryan. I sighed, and said, "No, Ryan, Catlynn's not dead. She's in here, I just don't know where. I thought I could call her and listen for the ring, but Elle has her phone."

"I thought she went to the dentist?" Ryan said.

"She was supposed to. Elle told me she ran away." I said. I started crying, too. Ryan put his arm around me, and said, "What's her favorite song in the show?" I looked at him, and said, "I don't know. How will that help?"

Ryan shrugged, and said, "If we sing it, she'll maybe come out. But since you don't know, we'll just have to find her ourselves."

We walked down the hallway and stopped in front of a closet. I put my ear to the door and heard some crying. "Catlynn!" I whispered to Ryan. Ryan stepped back and I knocked on the door.

"Cat? It's Jessica."

Silence.

Elle ran in, out of breath and crying. I hugged her and said, "I think Catlynn's in there."

Elle took a deep breath and said to me, "I know what will help. It helped her calm down before she went under for her scan."

"There was a boy I met in kindergarten..."

__________

Catlynn's POV

I had been crying in the closet for the past hour. I wish Elle was here. Or anyone. But I was alone, and I knew they weren't finding me anytime soon.

Suddenly, I heard a knock on the door.

"Cat? It's Jessica."

I curled up in a tight ball. Jessica was here, but I didn't feel like talking to her. I sort of idolized her, it was embarassing to cry in front of her. Especially like this. I wanted Elle.

I then heard someone sing, "There was a boy I met in kindergarten..." but it didn't sound like Katie. It sounded like Elle.

I had a feeling it was in my own head, so I ignored it.

I heard another knock on the door. "Sunshine...it's me. Can I come in?"

It was Elle. It was really Elle. I said, "Yeah..." with a small voice and the door opened. The light came on and Elle stood there. Her hair was a mess and she had been crying. I ran towards her and hugged her as tight as I could.

"Hey, sweetness." Elle said, giving me a kiss on the top of my head. "I missed you so much. I'm so glad you're okay, Sunshine. I was so worried."

I sat down on the floor and said, "I'm sorry Elle...I was just scared...the forms." Elle hugged me and said, "I know exactly what happened. You were scared that today would've been a repeat of what happened at the hospital. Are you still in pain?"

I nodded, and Elle said, "I'm taking you out of the city to get this fixed. We're taking a little road trip. I might get the shows canceled so we can all be there with you." I started crying into Elle's shoulder, and said, "You promised we weren't going back to any hospitals..."

Elle kissed my cheek and said, "I know I did. But you want to get better, right?" I nodded, and Elle said. "Let's go home and get you packed up." Elle opened the door, and I saw Jessica and Ryan standing there. I ran and hugged Jessica, and she said, "I was so worried about you. Why didn't you respond when I knocked?"

I sighed, and said, "I was embarrassed. I didn't want you to see me cry. You're so cool." Jessica ruffled my hair and said, "You don't have to be embarrassed. We're here for you. We're your family now."

"I'm going to call everyone else and tell them what happened. I'm taking Catlynn to a hospital outside of the city to get her checked out. I really want everyone to come with me." Elle said.

Jessica and Ryan nodded, and Elle and I went out to her car and went back home.

I walked into my apartment and went to my room. I took one last look around, and packed up my Heathers sweatshirt, which I never wore or washed. It was my comfort item from Elle. It was her sweatshirt, so I hug it when she's not around because it smells like her. I packed a T-shirt, some sweatpants, and a couple of books. I then stepped out of my room, and Elle said, "Ready to go?"

I nodded and took her hand, and we went out to her car.

I plugged in my headphones and started listening to the Heathers soundtrack, skipping Our Love is God. I then fell asleep on the way there.

I woke up to my phone ringing. "Hello?" I said.

"Hey, kid, it's Ryan. Do you want a slushie?" I said, "Yeah. Thanks." Ryan said, "Put Elle on the phone." I handed the phone to Elle and she talked to Ryan for a bit. Then we pulled into a 7-11 and Ryan handed me a slushie.

"Good luck, kid. Make me proud."

"Ryan McCartan. She's going to the hospital, not a soccer game." I laughed, and got back in the car.

Elle sighed, and said, "Well, here we go. We're out of the city." She reached back and grabbed my hand. "You ready?"

I smiled, and said, "Yeah."

AN: FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE MAD AT ME FOR MAKING THE LAST CHAPTER SAD, I'M SORRY. I FIXED IT. See, I'm not a monster. Anyway, hope you enjoyed. Catch ya later.