My Best Friend Seemed To Have It All Together

Things have been going smoothly in my house. My shoulder was just about healed, I was allowed to take my arm out of the sling. Jessica was getting stronger, and Violet had started to leave me alone for once.

It was around 8 at night. I was playing a game on my phone and Elle whistled with her fingers.

"Anyone up for a family game night?" Elle asked. I raised my hand, and Jessica raised hers.

"Great! I'll get Monopoly. Jessica, get the snacks from the pantry." Elle said. Jessica slowly got up and said to me, "What do you want for snacks?"

"Cheez-Its and popcorn." I said. Jessica gave me finger guns and grabbed the Cheez-Its.

Suddenly, Jessica slipped and fell. I heard a loud crack and then Jessica screamed. Elle dropped whatever she was carrying on the floor and ran over to Jessica.

"Sunshine, don't worry. Go sit on the couch and listen to music, okay?" Elle said. I sat on the couch and put in my earphones, trying to focus on the music, not Jessica screaming in pain.

I couldn't help but think, would Jessica need another surgery?

_________
Elle's POV

I was trying to get everything settled. We had decided that Jessica needed to go to the hospital, her foot really hurt and she was screaming in pain and couldn't even stand up. I wasn't going to call an ambulance, though. I didn't want to scare Cat, plus this wasn't really life-threatening.

Only issue is, how do I keep Cat from getting anxious?

I got an idea. I texted Evan and Barrett and told them to come to my apartment and help with Cat while I was gone. I decided I would get Cat to fall asleep, then leave once she does.

I sat down on the couch and put Cat in my lap. I rocked her back and forth for about five minutes, singing Kindergarten Boyfriend in her ear.

Soon, Cat was fast asleep in my arms, and Evan and Barrett knocked on the door.

"Hey guys. Cat's asleep on the couch, keep her asleep until I get home." I said. Evan nodded, and I picked up Jessica and ran out to my car.

________
Evan's POV

I noticed Cat on the couch, curled up in a blanket, snoring softly. She was asleep. My sweet baby sister was asleep.

I quietly headed to the couch and gently put Cat's head in my lap. I kissed her forehead and said, "Hey, Sunshine. Evan's here."

Cat made a soft whining noise and tossed around a little. I held her tighter on my lap and started rubbing her back.

"Aww." Barrett whispered to me, looking at my sleeping sister. I smiled, and said, "She's your baby sister too."

"Yeah. But she seems to love you. You're the best big brother to her." Barrett said. "I think Alice is her favorite sister, and Jess is her favorite aunt."

"She's a kid. It's natural for her to pick favorites." I said quietly. I ran my fingers through Catlynn's long auburn hair as she snored softly.

"Her hair is long. And beautiful." Barrett said. And she was right. Cat's hair was so long that the ends of it were on Barrett's lap.

"Do you think she's ever going to cut it short?" I asked.

"Elle won't let her. Though I know she wants to. She also wants to dye it blue." Barrett said.

"That I won't let her do. Her hair color is gorgeous." I said. Barrett nodded, and then Cat started to fidget on my lap.

"Hey, Cat. Shh...it's okay." I said, stroking Cat's hair.

"Is she about to wake up?" Barrett asked, and I nodded. "She might be having a nightmare." I said as Cat continued to fidget. I pulled her into me and held her tightly against my chest. I felt Cat start to cry in her sleep, and I started rocking her back and forth.

"It's probably a nightmare about the crash." I whispered to Barrett. "Elle told me she gets those all the time, the poor girl."

Cat woke up on my chest, shaking.

"Hey baby Sunshine. Are you okay?" I asked, hugging her tightly.

"I had a nightmare." I said. She looked around and asked me and Barrett, "Where are Jessica and Elle?"

Barrett stared at me and said, "Should we tell her?" I nodded, and said, "Look, um...Jessica and Elle are at the hospital." Cat fell into me and started to cry.

"I'm so sorry, Cat." I said, stroking her hair.

"Um..." Barrett said, and Catlynn sat on my lap and looked at her.

"Cat, I'm so sorry, but Jessica's in surgery now to fix her foot." Barrett said.

"What?" Cat said, sobbing her eyes out.

"Yeah. I know it's hard, but it's too late to see her and it's too late for them to come home. Elle and Jess will be home tomorrow morning, I promise." I said.

Cat started sobbing into my chest. I knew what was happening. She was having a breakdown and needed to let it out. I rubbed her back and shoulder and kissed her head.

"Shh...Sunshine, it's okay. Let it out. Cry as long as you need to, I'm here." I said, stroking my sister's hair.

"I'm sorry Evan..." Cat said.

"For what?"

"I feel so stupid..." Cat said. I said, "I love you so much, Catlynn, more than you know. Don't feel dumb for needing to cry, it's natural. I know, these last few weeks have been a rollercoaster for all of us, especially you. You started saxophone, only to get bullied relentlessly. You got a boyfriend, then he cheated on you. Nothing ever seems to go well for you, and I'm so sorry. Just know that we're your family, and we're always going to back you up and be cheering for you. You're our sister, niece, daughter, our world." Cat sat up and I pushed her hair away from her face. "You're beautiful, and smart, and talented. Don't ever change, for anyone. Promise me?"

"I promise, Evan. I won't let you down."

"Good. Now, go to sleep. I'll wake you up when Jessica and Elle are home." I said.

I held Cat against my chest until she fell asleep.

________
Catlynn's POV

"Cat...look who's here..." I heard. I sat up and saw Barrett smiling, pointing behind the couch.

"Elle! Jess!" I yelled, running to hug both of them. Jessica was on crutches again, with a brace on her foot. Elle was smiling.

"Cat! Did Evan and Barrett take good care of you?" Elle asked, and I nodded.

"They're the best brother and sister I could ever ask for." I said, and Elle kissed me on the head.

"You have two other siblings, you know." Barrett laughed. "But thanks, I'm honored." Evan took a dramatic bow and laughed as well.

"We have some good news for you." Evan said, and I started giggling. "What?"

"Me and Alice are taking you out for sushi today." Barrett said.

"A sushi date?" I said, and Barrett nodded.

"Don't worry, your brother will not show up." Elle said, and I laughed.

"And me, Jon, and Ryan are taking you to play laser tag this weekend." Evan said.

"You seriously think it's a good idea to play laser tag against Catlynn McLemore? She'll get you out in an instant!" Barrett said.

"Well, we don't know the teams yet." Evan said.

"Thanks so much, both of you, for doing this for her. She needs it." Elle said to Barrett and Evan.

"No problem! I needed some bonding time with my sister anyway!" Evan said, hugging me tightly.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Get dressed!" Barrett said.

AN: TO EVERYONE WHO ASKED: YOU ARE GETTING YOUR SUSHI DATE. AND LASER TAG. HAPPY? Good. Everyone's happy. Anyway, hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!