You're Welcome

I had just found out I would have to get my tooth pulled. The doctor gave me and Elle a choice on whether I had anesthesia or stayed awake for it. We chose anesthesia, just because it had worked so well the last time.

I was sitting in a hospital bed, getting ready for the nurse to put an IV straw in...again. I reached for Elle's hand, and she squeezed it tightly. "Stay strong for me, Sunshine." she said. It calmed me when Elle called me Sunshine. The name Catlynn had so many bad memories attached to it. Sunshine, well, I only got the nickname when Elle took me in. No one else but the cast knew that I was called Sunshine.

I felt that all-familiar pinch and Elle squeezed my hand. When it was over, she kissed my forehead and said, "Good job, Sunshine."

I sighed and opened my arms for a hug, which Elle promptly gave me.

"I'm nervous." I said. Elle rubbed circles on my back and said, "I know, Sunshine, I know. You've done this before, it'll be over quickly, and we'll all be here when you wake up. I promise." I felt my breathing grow heavy, and Elle quickly hugged me tighter.

"I can't do this..." I said, crying. Elle kissed the back of my head and said, "Ssh...I'm right here. Breathe with me." I focused on Elle's breathing and tried to slow mine down with it. Elle kept rubbing circles on my back, and I was sobbing.

Elle said, "Do you want me to FaceTime someone in the cast?" I nodded, and said, "Jessica or Katie." Elle pulled out her phone and pulled me in her lap. I was surprised, no one ever let me sit in their lap before. Elle dialed a number and the phone rang. Soon, Jessica's face popped up on the screen.

"Hey Elle! How's Cat doing?" Elle handed the phone to me and Jessica said, "Hey, little Heather. How ya holding up?" I said, "Nervous." Jessica said, "Aww...it's gonna be okay. Elle's there with you and I'll be there when you wake up." Elle ruffled my hair and said, "She's a little scared." Jessica said, "I have an idea. Elle, leave me on the phone and let me sing to her until she falls asleep." Elle nodded and gave me a hug. "She has to go into surgery now. There's no time for singing." I laid in my bed and the nurse wheeled me to the OR.

I was in the OR bed, holding Elle's hand with all my strength. She could tell I was nervous. She said, "Take a deep breath for me, Sunshine. It's okay." My hand was shaking, and Elle let go of it and put her hand on my stomach. "In...and out. In...and out. Good...almost there...in...and out. You got this, Sunshine...in...and out."

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Just focus on the beeps, Sunshine, same as last time...in...and out." Elle said.

My eyes started to get heavy. Elle's calming method was working.

"In...and out."

__________

"It's over Sunshine. You can wake up now." Elle was stroking my forehead as I woke up. I sat up to find Jessica sitting at the foot of my bed, and Ryan and Katie sitting in chairs. Barrett was sitting on the windowsill. Ryan waved and put a slushie on the table beside me.

"It probably melted by now." Ryan said sheepishly. I felt the cup, and it was still cold.

"How are you feeling?" Jessica asked. "Anything hurt?"

I shrugged, and said, "It will when the numbing goes away." Jessica rubbed my back and said to Elle, "The poor girl..."

"My sweet little Sunshine. She's been through so much and I wasn't even there for half of it." Elle said. I leaned into her chest and fell into a light sleep for a bit. I felt Elle braid my hair and I could feel the vibrations against her chest as she talked to Jessica.

"You're so cute, do you know that?" Jessica said, booping my nose. I woke up and started laughing. Then I looked up at Elle and said, "Do I have to go back to the hospital again?"

Elle stroked my hair and said, "No, Sunshine. The worst is over. We're going home in a few hours."

I fell asleep again on Elle's chest.

__________
Elle's POV

I ran my fingers through the sleeping Catlynn's hair, and Jessica said, "What helps her calm down when she's upset? I just want to know."

I sighed, and said, "Well, her nickname. Sunshine. And when someone sings Kindergarten Boyfriend to her. She also likes when I run my fingers through her hair."

"When she got upset that day, all you did was hold her. I think that really helped." Jessica said.

"It was kind of Katie's idea." I said. "That's what calmed her down earlier, so Katie said to try it when I found her."

Katie looked up from her phone and said, "Wait, what did I do?" Everyone laughed, and I said, "What you did was calm down Catlynn." Katie smiled, and I kept playing with Catlynn's hair.

Catlynn stirred and woke up, and said, "Hey Elle." I kissed her on the nose and said, "Hey. How're you feeling?" Catlynn shrugged and said, "A bit better. I wanna go home though." I nodded, and we started to pack up.

________
Catlynn's POV

I was packing up all the books I brought, and Elle grabbed her bag and the suitcase I brought and we walked out of the dreaded hospital.

"The worst is over, Sunshine. The worst is over."

I sighed, and said, "I hope so."

Elle hugged me and said, "I know so."

AN: Let's hope the worst is over for poor Catlynn...and just because I want to, I'm gonna give you a list of her nicknames from the cast.

Elle: Sunshine
Jessica: Little Heather/Cat
Ryan: Kid
Evan/Jon: Cat

Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!