Holy Crap! This Is Awesome!

"There's our star soloist!" Axel said, running up to me at school. I smiled at him, and then Red tapped him on the shoulder.

"Did you hear? Violet Gardner got kicked out of band and suspended!" she said happily. "What?" I said. "You mean, for what she did to me?" Red nodded, and said, "We do love a sweet revenge story." Cesca walked up, and said, "Who did you plan revenge on this time?"

"Nobody." Red said, laughing. "It just perfectly fell into place." We all laughed, then Axel said, "Hey, Cat, how's Jessica doing?"

I sighed, and said, "Better." I didn't go into detail, I just wanted to forget about it.

"Hey, don't you have Nutcracker auditions soon?" Cesca asked. I nodded, and said, "I practiced the solo I wanted with Evan and Elle. That didn't end well." Axel, Red, and Cesca cracked up, and Red said, "That's why Jessica went live on Instagram!" 

"This I have to see!" Axel said, and grabbed Red's phone from her. "She sent it to me, calm down!" I said, and pulled up the video. By the middle of the dance Cesca could not breathe because she was laughing so hard. 

"Guys, we have band, and the bell rings in two minutes. Let's make like an egg and scramble!" Axel yelled. We all ran down to the band room and put together our instruments. 

"Catlynn Sunshine McLemore. I swear, if you blow your saxophone in my ear one more time..." Cesca said. I cut her off by blowing it, and she slapped me. "What the heck, dude?" Axel laughed and put together his saxophone, and Red was busy assembling her clarinet. 

"Cat, your family is so confusing." Red said, laughing. I smirked, and said, "It's really not. Elle's my legal mom now. I consider Ryan my dad."

"But he didn't legally adopt you, correct? Elle's your only legal guardian?" Axel asked. I nodded, and said, "Evan and Jon are my brothers. Alice and Barrett are my sisters. And Jessica and Katie are my aunts. I have 2 parents, 2 sisters, 2 brothers, and 2 aunts." My friends nodded, and Red said, "Guys! Class is starting!" We ran to our seats and started playing a major scale.

My phone then vibrated.

Hey, I'm picking you up early from school. Be ready after band. -Elle

"Oh my God..." I said to myself. "What's wrong?" Axel said.

"I'm getting picked up early." I said. In my head I was preparing for the worst. 

"At least you get to miss Civics." Red said from the clarinet section. I sighed, and said, "No, you don't understand..." 

"The crash." Cesca whispered. "She's worried that something happened to Jessica." A flute player quietly chuckled and Cesca gave her a death glare. I was shaking in fear and holding my phone. I managed to type, Okay, class is almost over. 

"On another note, Cat, are you looking forward to Nutcracker auditions?" Red asked. I nodded, and said, "I'm not really in the mood to talk to anyone." The bell rang, and I put away my saxophone and headed to my locker.

"Wait up!" Cesca and Red said at the same time. They caught up with me and said, "We'll tell you the work you missed." I laughed, and said, "It's fine. I'll get caught up tomorrow. I'm not even sure why I'm leaving."

Red smiled at me, and said, "Your mom seems like the type of person who made you get Perfect Attendance every term of every year since kindergarten." 

"You're wrong on two levels, Red. One, Elle is not that type of person. She literally let me go home because Violet was a jerk. Two, I wasn't adopted that long ago. I got adopted in April." Red said, "Oh." and I laughed. I loved having a supportive group of friends from Band.

"I dare you to perform your Nutcracker dance right here and now." Axel said. He had finally caught up to us. I said, "No. We're in a public building, plus I'm trying out for a duet. I'll never get a solo. I've never done ballet before. Plus, I have to leave. See you later." I waved at my friends and walked alone to the front lobby.

"Cat!" I heard from behind me. I turned around and nearly dropped my saxophone.

Jess was standing there. 

Actually standing, leaning on a crutch. 

"Oh my God. You're actually here. You're on your feet." I said, in shock. Elle came up behind Jessica and said, "Are you surprised, Cat?"

"Why didn't you tell me?" I said. I was so happy. 

"Because I didn't know until a couple of minutes ago!" Elle said. I started crying tears of joy, and Elle hugged me. 

"How did you find out? I'm still so confused." I said. Jessica laughed, and said, "So, um, well, we didn't tell you, but I went to the doctor today." 

"Yeah?" I said, excited and hopeful. 

"He said I could try walking again, as long as I use this." Jessica pointed to her crutch and put her arm around me. "And I have to lean on someone. Hope you don't mind." Jessica and I slowly walked to Elle's car and Elle helped her in.

"Wasn't that a nice surprise, huh, Sunshine?" Elle asked. I chuckled, and said, "Yeah. I'm really happy Jess is getting better."

"Not totally." Jessica said. "I still have to rest. And I can't move around that much." I sighed and started listening to music on the way home.

When we got to the apartment, I helped Jessica in the house and sat her down on the sofa bed. "I have schoolwork to do." I said, and I headed to my room.

"Not so fast, Sunshine." Elle said. "It's lunchtime." Elle opened the refrigerator and pulled out a half-eaten platter of sweet and sour chicken.

"Leftovers. Are you kidding?" Jessica said, laughing. I also laughed, and said, "I'm looking forward to the Nutcracker!"

"I don't want you getting overwhelmed with all these activities." Elle said. I smiled, and said, "The more the better for me. It distracts me from everything that's been going on. Nutcracker auditions are coming up. I'm nervous." Elle kissed me on the head and said, "Don't be nervous, Sunshine. You're a girl of many talents. I know you'll do awesome." 

"I have an idea." Jessica said slyly. Elle groaned and said, "What now?"

"No, it's nothing bad. I was thinking that tomorrow after Cat's school gets out, we can have a Cat Practice Day where she can practice everything she has going on. Nutcracker, saxophone, even presenting for a school project if she needs to." I nodded excitedly, and Jess said, "Don't you think I forgot about Jess and Cat night. We'll get that arranged." 

Elle said, "Ryan's taking you out sometime this week, and I think Alice, Evan, and Katie are planning on doing the same thing. It might be hard with all the activities you have going on, but we'll make it work. We made that promise to you." I nodded, and Jess said, "Family always keeps their promises."

I sighed, and said, "I'm just glad Jessica's getting better." Jessica said, "Aww. Come here, Sunshine." I ran over to the sofa bed and Jessica hugged me. "You're being so brave. I know this is the hardest thing you ever had to go through." 

"I couldn't have done it without you." I said, and Elle said, "We both love you, Sunshine. So much."

"I love you guys too."

AN: So...Jessica's getting better. That's good. Also, @RandomHamiltonEmma and @Spaceheater1 sort of know what's happening in the next chapter...but I'll give everyone else a hint...WE'RE GOING BACK TO THE NEW WORLD STAGES FOR A DAY! Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!