Please Let Me Say It One Time Louder

"Good night, Sunshine. Sleep well, I love you." Elle said, tucking me in on the night before my surgery. Which I've been trying not to think about. I made the decision to get the surgery, I couldn't bear to give up ballet. 

But Katie's been a wreck lately. She's just been ranting about how this whole situation was her fault, which it wasn't. I wanted her there for the surgery, but she kept refusing. So I just decided to respect her wishes and give up on asking her. Even though I really wanted her there.

I looked outside my window at the New York City skyline, hearing the sounds of cars zooming down the street. I sighed, I knew I needed sleep. But I was too afraid to get it.

Eventually, after an hour of watching TV and playing on my phone mindlessly, sleep took over.

Tomorrow morning, I would be on my way to a hospital. Again.

_________

I woke up in my own bed, the sunlight streaming through the window. Perfectly normal way to wake up. I drew open my curtains and sighed.

"Hey. Kit." I heard. I froze in fear. No one else calls me Kit but...

Red. Red Ashley. But Red was dead. How did this happen?

I turned around and there stood Red. Same dirty blonde ponytail, same sweatshirt, same clarinet case slung over her shoulder. I started sobbing in relief. Red was here. And she looked perfectly normal.

"Red...Red...I missed you so much..." I said, throwing my arms around my best friend and sobbing. 

"I missed you too, Kit." Red said, the light reflecting off of her braces. She put her hands on my shoulders and said, "You have not changed since the last time I saw you." I laughed and pointed to the brace on my knee. "Except for that, maybe." I said.

"Yeah. Well, um, anyway. Kit, I have something embarrassing to admit." Red said, laughing and tugging on her ponytail. 

"What is it?" I asked. Red sighed and said, "I had a crush on you. You do know I was...gay, right?" 

"I didn't know either of those things." I said. "I'm bi. You should've told me!"

"I'm sorry if that was awkward, I just...needed to tell you that. You're just so pretty, Catlynn." Red said, playing with the ends of my hair. I blushed. 

"So are you." I said. 

"Also, um, I have something else to say. When I got in the subway crash...I was on the way to the hospital. To see you. I had flowers and everything." Red said.

I gasped. "Red...it was just a blood test. You didn't need to do that...especially because you...lost your life in the process." 

"I know. But I know you get nervous around hospitals. I was just being a good friend." Red said. I couldn't stop smiling.

"I love you, Red." I said.

"I love you too, Kit. I have to go. Stay strong for me, I love you so much. And by the way? Ethan says hi." Red said. 

_________

I shot awake, realizing it was still dark outside. I looked around my room and it was the exact same way I left it. 

"It was a dream, Cat. It was just a dream." I reassured myself. 

But it didn't work. I ran out to the living room and started sobbing, shaking Jessica awake. 

"Sunshine...it's 1 in the morning..." Jessica said, rolling towards me.

"It's important." I whispered. Jessica sighed and said, "What's wrong?"

"I had a really weird dream..." I said. Jessica sighed and wiped some of my tears away. "Nightmare?"

"Not exactly." I said. "I woke up in my own room...and R-Red was there...she said she had a crush on me and that she was gay...which is probably true, she was the vice president of the Gay-Straight Alliance at school...and she also said that...she...um...she was on the subway on the way to the hospital to see me...the day that she died..." I tried my best to control myself, but it was really hard.

Eventually, I started sobbing, and Jessica hugged me tightly.

"What's going on?" Elle said sleepily. "Nightmare?"

"It wasn't exactly a...nightmare. Just a really weird dream." Jessica said. "She saw Red." 

"Oh my God." Elle said, joining the hug. I sighed and said, "I know...it sounds so weird..."

"It's not weird, Sunshine. At all." Elle assured me. I sighed and said, "I'm going to try to go back to sleep, okay? I love you both."

"Love you too, Sunshine. Good night, see you tomorrow." Elle said.

"Surgery." I said, about to cry. Elle sighed and hugged me, rocking me back and forth.

"I'm nervous..." I whispered.

"I know." Elle said softly. "I know." 

"Good night guys. I love you." I said.

"I love you too." Jessica said.

AN: Yay sad chapter time! And next chapter is the surgery! Why am I so excited about that? Oh yeah, I'm the most evil fanfic writer on this website! Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!