Catlynn, What's Going On?

"You heard me." I said to Elle. "Now answer my question. I'm not joking."

"Like, I would be upset, but-" Elle said.

"No buts. This is serious." I said. It really wasn't that important, I knew Elle wouldn't kick me out. Still, she needs to know. These rumors about me, about me not even being a part of this family, have been going on since school started.

"Sunshine, I'm getting worried. What is going on?" Elle said.

"If I tell you, promise me you won't get upset?" I asked. Elle reluctantly nodded. I think she knew how brutal the kids at my school were.

I took a deep breath, and said, "People are spreading rumors about me being a part of this family, they were saying that I was only adopted to boost ticket sales, and that I was going to be kicked out and put on the streets pretty soon. They're saying that I'm lying about knowing Jessica, that the only reason I say she's my aunt is for sympathy."

"What about me?" I heard, and I turned around. Jessica was leaning on the doorway.

"Jess, I'm so sorry this is how you found out..." I said, about to cry.

"Keep going, Sunshine. We want to know." Elle said, sitting down on my bed. Jessica sat down next to her.

"How do you know this is going to be a long conversation?" I said, subtly giggling.

"We just do. Keep going, please." Jessica said.

"Um...where was I?" I said.

"You were saying that people say you only know me for 'sympathy.'" Jessica said.

"Oh, yeah. Anyway, they say you guys are gonna kick me out because I didn't do what I was supposed to, keep the show open. They say Jessica got herself in the crash on purpose to ruin my life. They say Elle doesn't love me. They say I have to be like you if you're ever going to love me."

"Hold the phone." Jessica said.

"What?" I said.

"We didn't adopt you to boost ticket sales, there was no reason to. The show closed for reasons not connected to the crash. You're perfect, and Elle and I both agree that you've made our lives better, especially Elle's." Jessica said.

"We're never going to kick you out, Sunshine. You're stuck with us. You have a huge family now, and we all love you." Elle said.

"Nice sentiment, but tell that to the kids in my school. They're still going to say it and make me feel horrible. And who knows how far they'll spread? It's New York City, for heaven's sake!" I said.

Jessica looked at Elle and whispered something in her ear. Elle started giggling, and I said, "What's with the whispering? You guys look like 12-year-olds at a sleepover!"

"I have an idea." Jessica said.

"Oh no. Jessica has an idea." I said. Jessica slapped me, and said, "Hey, my last idea worked out brilliantly."

"Which was?" I asked.

"Kissing your nose to distract you from the needle, silly!" Jessica said.

"Yeah, but that just helped out me. We're dealing with an entire middle school here." I said. "Tell me your idea before you do something stupid, please."

"Rude." Jessica said sadly, and Elle cracked up and fell over. "But seriously, trust me. I may be right."

"If you say so." I said.

________
Jessica's POV

"So, now that Cat's gone, what's your idea?" Elle asked.

"This may seem a bit far-fetched, but we should all surprise Cat at school." I said. "Cat's told me that her band class runs through the concert in the auditorium sometimes, so why don't we go and support her?"

"She has a solo, Jessica. She'd hate us if we ruined the surprise." Elle said. I forgot about her solo.

"Do you think she'd get suspicious if we told her not to play it at school on Monday?" I asked. I knew the answer was going to be "yes."

"Are you kidding me? Yes!" Elle laughed.

"Are you sure she's not eavesdropping?" I asked. I knew Cat had a tendency to do that.

"Yeah, I'm sure. Ryan came over and I asked him to take Cat out." Elle said.

"How long do you think they'll be gone?" I asked.

"Probably just for a couple of hours. Cat has dance tonight." Elle said.

"Dance!" I said.

"What?" Elle asked.

"We can scheme while she has dance. She won't be home until like, 10:00." I said.

Elle nodded, and we got the plan in place.

___________

"See you later, Sunshine!" Elle said as she waved to Cat from the car. Cat smiled and got her dance bag out of the backseat and left.

"She's talented." I said to Elle, watching Cat enter the dance studio.

"She's only done dance for around a month and she has a solo, and she's now on the competitive team." Elle said. "If that's not talent, I don't know what is. Also, you said we were scheming. Now scheme."

"Ok." I said, pulling out my phone. "Elle, text everyone and tell them to meet me at your apartment at 9AM Monday morning."

Elle started typing away, and then she said, "What are we actually going to do at Catlynn's school? We can't sneak into Band rehearsals."

I felt my phone vibrate, and it was a text from Catlynn.

Can I stay over at Cesca's? Her, me, Red, and Axel have a HUGE school presentation on Monday and we need to practice.

"Elle. Can Cat stay over at Cesca's house tonight? She needs to practice for a school project with them." I asked.

"Sure!" Elle said, and I typed back a Yes. Then it hit me.

"Elle? Do you think we can watch her presentation?" I asked.

"Jessica Keenan Wynn. You are a genius!" Elle said.

"Do you know what time her presentation is?" I asked.

"You can ask her. Her school does a rotating schedule." Elle said.

Just one question, what time is your presentation on Monday?

1PM.

Good. She didn't question it.

"It's at 1:00. Have everyone meet us at 12:30." I said, feeding information to Elle as she frantically texted.

"This is a workout." Elle said.

"What, supporting your kid?" I laughed.

"Shut up." Elle said.

"This is going to be...interesting." I said.

"I'll say. But it's for Cat." Elle said.

I nodded as we drove off home.

AN: A secret scheme, I see. Haha. If you want to know what presentation Cat's talking about, it's based off a HUGE project I had to do in the eighth grade! I mentioned it in an earlier chapter, I forgot which one. Anyway, hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!