You're On Your Own, You Know What You Know

"Suessical opens tomorrow." I said. "I'm a little nervous."

Elle froze in fear. "T-tomorrow?" she asked. She grabbed her phone and scrolled through it for a few minutes then said, "Oh my God. Jessica, call the hospital."

"Excuse me, the what?" I asked. This could not be good news.

"Um, so we didn't want to tell you, but you have a blood test scheduled tomorrow afternoon. Please don't tell me you have to be at the theater before 4..." Elle said.

"I knew it. A dang blood test. Tell me now. You two can't come." I said, flopping on the couch.

"Actually, we both can come. Don't worry. Now, what time do you have to go to the show?" Elle asked.

"5:30. Show starts at 7. Doors open at 6:30." I said. "Same as Spelling Bee."

"Oh thank God. Because your appointment is at 3." Elle said. "We'll be there the whole time, don't worry. And we're so excited to see you in Seussical. We all got tickets for the Saturday show, because Evan gets out of the hospital today and probably needs a day to recover before seeing the show."

"Wait. Does Evan have a place to live?" I asked. Elle sighed and said, "Yeah. He made arrangements. Don't worry. Now, today's your last rehearsal. Focus on having fun."

I sighed and got ready for rehearsal.

________

"Happy opening night!" Elle said, waking me up the next morning. I groaned and threw a pillow at her. "Don't remind me that I have a stupid blood test today too...also I'm nervous for opening night."

"Aww, Sunshine. Don't be nervous, okay?" Elle said.

"That's like trying to stop the sun." I said. "I'm always nervous about something." Elle laughed and said, "Aww. Well, get up and get ready."

"Why? I'm not in school for now." I said. I was getting really confused. "It's 8 in the morning."

"Well...we may or may not have planned a surprise for you and the rest of the cast may or may not be coming over in about 20 minutes." Elle said. "If I were you, I'd get dressed."

"I'm not wearing anything formal, though. I'm too lazy." I laughed, pulling a grey T-shirt and a pair of leggings from my closet and getting dressed.

I walked out to the living room and heard some quiet chatter. I pushed my hair behind my ear and looked at my family gathered in the kitchen, reading recipes off of their phones.

"Whatcha doing?" I asked, tapping Katie on the shoulder. Jessica was pouring flour into a bowl, making a mess. Barrett was putting butter into another bowl, which had melted and was all over her hands. Evan was on the couch, asleep.

"Wait, wait, wait! You added WAY too much butter!" Katie yelled, not paying attention to me. "Now it's gonna taste gross!"

"Guys, what are you making?" I asked.

"A cake. For some odd reason." Jessica said. Her hair and face was covered with flour dust.

"No, no, no!" Jon screeched, grabbing the bowl from Barrett's hands. I laughed. This was truly a chaotic day.

"I'm glad I'm having fun before, you know, I have to go to the hospital again." I said. The whole room fell quiet.

"Let me guess. Blood test?" Katie asked, and I sadly nodded. "I hate needles." I said.

"Everyone hates needles. It's perfectly okay." Jon said. I sighed. I didn't just hate needles, I was scared of them. Terrified, even.

"So, um, let's make this cake before Cat has to go!" Jessica said, shoving the pan in the oven. "The box says an hour, right?"

"Wait. I was making this from scratch. Did you just...add boxed cake mix to the batter I already made?" Katie said, and Jessica frantically nodded. I could not help but crack up.

"Um, Sunshine? It's 2:30. We better get going." Elle said. I sighed and started to cry, I didn't want any more needles. I hugged Katie tight, and she kissed my head.

"Listen, Sunshine, why don't we all come with you? For moral support?" Katie asked. "Or if you'll get overwhelmed, I could just come with you."

"You would?" I asked between sobs. Katie nodded and said, "I would drop everything for you."

I smiled, still hugging Katie. I've been close to Katie since the beginning, and we had a special bond. Which I loved more than anything.

"Hate to break up the sweet bonding time, but we have to go." Elle said. I nodded.

_______

Me, Elle, Jessica, and Katie were in the waiting room of the hospital, me crying slightly. I hated hospitals more than anything else in the world.

"I hate needles." I said, fidgeting with the end of my shirt. Elle sighed and said, "I know, but it'll be over in a flash. You got this." I smiled and nodded, and Katie passed me a lollipop.

"Sucking on it could help distract you from the pain. And it's grape. Your favorite." Katie said. I smiled slightly, then the nurse called my name. I sighed, feeling the urge to run to the bathroom and cry my eyes out. Anywhere but here.

"You okay there, Sunshine?" Elle asked. I sighed and said, "I'm a little scared, but I want to get it over with so I can get to my show in time."

"Good girl. And it's only a little needle, you'll be just fine." Jessica said. I got on Elle's lap, and Katie wrapped her jacket around me and kept me warm and safe. I took a deep breath. In and out.

But for some reason, the nerves took over. I yanked my hand back and started to cry.

"She does that sometimes." Katie said. Katie took my arm and said, "Sunshine, can I see your other hand?" I gave Katie my other arm and she started slowly tracing my fingers. It helped me calm down, a lot. I snuggled into Elle and let them put the needle in.

"Um, Katie? How-how did you manage to calm her down?" Elle asked, shocked.

"Simple. I just traced her hand. I used it before on her, and it works wonders. You did great, Sunshine." Katie said. She kissed my head and tickled my sides, which made me giggle.

"Hey, opening night tonight. Wanna go home and get ready?" Elle asked.

"Yeah!" I yelled, finally cracking a smile.

AN: Next chapter is...drumroll please...Seussical! It's not going to be evil, I promise. And I thought it was about time I send Cat back to the good old hospital. Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!