Life Is Random and Unfair

"Where were you?" Red asked as I walked into school, tugging on my backpack.

"Nowhere." I said, hoping to hide the scab on my elbow.

"What happened to your arm?" Axel asked. I shrugged and said, "It's nothing, okay? Leave me alone." I started to walk away, but Red grabbed my arm.

"Is everything okay? You're not acting like yourself." she asked.

"Everything's fine, Red. I need to get to class." I said, walking to Band.

Everything wasn't fine. It was the first day of school after my blood transfusion. I didn't want anyone to know yet.

Then, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around, and Violet Gardner was standing there.

"Oh great. Catlynn's back, everyone!" she said. Some kids laughed and booed.

"Hi Violet." I said.

"Aww, did you get a boo-boo?" Violet said, looking at my arm. I quickly yanked my arm away, and she said, "Aww, let me see."

I extended my arm, and Violet examined the scab.

"Looks like an IV scab, Catherine." Violet said.

Oh no. She's going to find out.

"It's not...I just tripped over a rock." I lied.

"Tell me the truth." Violet said coldly. I backed up slowly, not wanting confrontation.

"It's nothing." I said softly.

"Leave her alone." Red snapped.

"Oh, yeah, I'm just asking because of this." Violet shoved her phone in my face and I took it.

I felt pressure boiling inside me as I saw the post.

"My brave little Sunshine. First dealing with a crash, then a blood disorder." the caption read.

Elle had betrayed me.

Elle, of all people. I'm sure she didn't mean it, but Violet found out.

"What blood disorder? What crash?" Violet asked.

"Go away!" I said, starting to run to the bathroom.

In the bathroom, I pulled out my phone and wanted to call someone. The rest of the cast would've found out. They probably took Elle's side.

I called Evan. He understood. He was my brother.

"Hello? Cat?" he said on the other line.

"Cn I go to your house?" I asked.

"Why? What's wrong?" Evan asked. "I'll be right there."

"Check your phone." I said coldly.

Evan hung up, then texted me 5 minutes later.

Is this about what Elle posted? I'm so sorry, Cat.

It's fine. My own mother betrayed me. No biggie.

I'll be there in 10 minutes. Be ready.

____________

"What is wrong with you?" I snapped to Elle as I stormed in my apartment.

"Sunshine? Are you okay?" Elle said, taken aback.

"No! And if I find out the rest of you spilt the beans, I'm going to be really angry!" I said, slamming the door of my room.

"What was that all about?" I heard Elle say.

"She saw your post. The one you took in the hospital. Now everyone knows about her blood disorder and the crash." Evan said.

"Let me talk to her." I heard someone else say. I think it was Ryan.

I heard some muffled crying, then heard, "Elle...this isn't your fault."

Yes it is, I thought to myself.

Stop it Catlynn. She's your mom. She meant well.

"Cat? Can I come in?" Ryan said. I said, "Sure..." and Ryan came in and hugged me.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"No." I said in a blur of tears. "I hate this."

"Listen. Elle's pretty upset right now so don't take it out on her." Ryan said. "She loves you, she didn't mean to make you upset."

"She knows how much Violet Gardner hates me." I said.

"It's not her fault, Cat!" Ryan said as I stormed away.

I heard some arguing going on in the living room. I buried my face in my pillows and tried to ignore it.

I decided to start singing in my pillows, hoping it would distract me.

I stopped singing after a few minutes and listened. Just more screaming. This was my fault.

I opened the door and saw Elle crying.

"You know what! That's it!" Elle cried. "I'm done!" She stood up and slammed the door of her bedroom.

"Elle?" Jessica asked, following after her.

I started sobbing. Jessica had betrayed me too.

I was truly alone in the universe.

____________

I heard a knock on the door. I didn't want to answer it. My entire family hated me for blowing up at Elle.

I made Elle cry.

I had regretted acting so dumb. It was too late now. I had turned my entire family against me and there was nothing I could do about it.

"Cat? Can I come in?" I heard. I sighed and opened the door. Elle was standing there.

"I thought you hated me." I said, giving her a hug.

"Catlynn. I could never hate you. You're my daughter. I know you're used to having a rocky family life, but trust me, that's never going to happen here." Elle said.

"I'm sorry for making you cry..." I said.

"I'm sorry for hurting your feelings. I should be the one apologizing. I forgot how badly kids treat you at school." Elle said.

"It's just a post. Rumors will always be rumors. I need to learn to toughen up, grow a thicker skin." I said.

"Wait, rumors? What?" Elle said, concerned.

I didn't know how to tell her. People were spreading rumors about me being a part of this family, they were saying that I was only adopted to boost ticket sales, and that I was going to be kicked out and put on the streets pretty soon.

They also said that the crash was the reason Heathers closed. Even though the crash happened a few days after the fact.

"It's nothing important." I said, snapping out of the daze.

"If people are spreading rumors about you, I want to know." Elle said.

"What if they were spreading rumors about you?" I said, and Elle looked at me wide-eyed.

"What?" she said.

AN: AHAHAHAHA CLIFFHANGER! No one sue me, please. Anyway, hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!