Fine, We're Damaged, Really Damaged

*in a PA system voice* Before we begin Sad Chapter™, I would like to thank @Spaceheater1 for some of Jessica and Elle's dialogue in the beginning! Hope you enjoy!

_________

It was the end of the day, and I was waiting in the front of the school for Elle to come pick me up.

"Hey, Kit!" Red said, standing next to me. "Elle's coming, right?" I nodded, and said, "Yeah. Elle's been picking me up a lot lately."

"She's your mother, Cat. It's her job." Red laughed, and I said, "I guess you're right!" I saw Elle's car pull up and Jessica wave. "Gotta go! See ya!" I said.

"See you tomorrow, Kit!" Red said as I got in the car.

"Hi Sunshine!" Elle said. "How was your day?"

"Not that bad but not that good." I replied. I pulled out my book and started to read, and Elle started driving. But I noticed that we weren't going home.

"Where are we going?" I asked. I saw Elle and Jessica look at each other, then Elle said, "Um...Sunshine...we need to tell you something."

"What is it?" I asked, concerned. Jessica sighed, and said, "I need to go back to the hospital."

I started freaking out and crying. "What? No, no, no..." Elle turned around and said, "Hey, no, no, no, it's okay."

Jess sighed, and said, "Elle and I have known about this for a little while. I have to go back to get a surgery on my back. It'll help me walk and the possibility of complications is very, very low." I sighed and started fiddling with my bracelet.

"No...this can't be happening..." I said, in shock.

"Sunshine, I promise it's going to be okay." I sighed, and said, "How do you know? I'm scared..."

Elle said, "I know, we both know, but this is going to help Jess get better so you two can go out more. She needs this." I nodded, I knew this would be good for Jess, but it scared me. I started crying, and Elle pulled the car over.

"I can't do this anymore..." I said. Jessica hugged me and said, "I know, sweetheart, I'm sorry. Just one more time, I promise. It'll be okay. Just a few more days, then I'm good as new!"

"I've been promised so many times that the worst is over. And you know what? Every time someone says that, something bad happens." I said, crying.

Jessica kissed my head and Elle said, "You know what, Cat, you're right. We've all been through the mill over and over and over again. We've told you the worst is over, only for it to get bad again. But, Jess - Jess needs this to be able to walk again. We don't want her on bed rest of the rest of her life."

I sighed, and said, "I don't think I can deal anymore...I'm terrified..."

Jessica sighed, and said, "When you're a part of a family, you never have to face anything alone. Life is scary, sure, but it doesn't have to be petrifying if you have people who love you. Elle, Ryan, Katie, Alice, Evan, everyone - we all love you and we never want you to think you can't tell us anything. We're right here with you, every step of the way."

I sighed, and said, "I don't want you to go into surgery Jess...please tell me there's another option." Jessica sighed, and said, "Paralysis, or, at least partial paralysis. But, if you don't want me to have the surgery, Cat, I won't. I'll tell the doctors that I changed my mind." I sighed, and said, "No, I want you to walk, I'm just scared. I wish I could be there."

"I know you do." Jess said.

"I wish I could hold your hand!" I cried. Jessica extended her hand and said, "Why don't you?" I grabbed it and Jessica pulled me into her, saying, "I got you, Sunshine, I got you."

We got back on the road, and 5 minutes later, we pulled into the hospital parking lot, and I said, "I've been here too many times." Elle sighed, and said, "I know, Sunshine, I know. It's hard."

"School's been so rough lately. You start eighth grade with a new last name and everyone calls you 'pathetic.'"

Elle looked at Jessica and said, "Is that what's happening?" I nodded, and Jessica said, "But you have friends though, right?" I smiled, and said, "My nerdy band group."

Elle looked at me, and said, "Are you ready?"

I smiled, and said, "Finally."

_________

I was pacing around the waiting room. Jessica was in surgery, and it was the only thing that could calm me down.

"Hey, Sunshine. Come here." Elle said. I ran over to her and she pulled me into her lap.

"I get it. This is scary for you. But I promise you, the worst is over." she said while hugging me.

"I don't believe you." I said. Elle kissed me on the head and said, "It'll be over in an hour. That's it. Relax, Sunshine." Elle rocked me back and forth and started to sing softly.

"I know these past few months have been a rollercoaster for you. I don't think you've ever caught a break since I took you in. And I'm so sorry..." Elle said. I started crying, and said, "This...this isn't your fault..."

"It's not yours either, Sunshine. Don't ever underestimate how amazing you are. You're beautiful, and smart, and kind. Don't change for anyone, promise me." I nodded, and said, "I promise..."

Elle pulled out her phone and said to me, "Jess is out of surgery. Do you want to come see her?" I nodded, and Elle held my hand the whole way to her hospital room.

Elle opened the door and Jess waved to us. She looked exhausted.

"You're here." Jessica said to me, waving me over. I sat on her bed and she took my hands. "I promise you, you'll never have to go through this again."

"Promise me?" I said, and Jess wrapped me in a gentle hug. "I swear."

"Sunshine, she's going to have to stay overnight." Elle said, and Jessica nodded. "Evan's coming to take you home." I sighed. I love Evan, but I didn't want to leave Elle and Jess.

"I'll call you tonight, I promise." Jessica said. I wanted to cry, but I couldn't. I didn't want to look like that girl who couldn't be away from her mommy.

But I was that girl.

"Can I please stay here?" I said, in the midst of a breakdown. Elle looked at Jessica and said, "Sure. I'll be here too, just in case you get scared or get a nightmare." I nodded, and said, "I hope this is the last time I'm here. Ever."

"I hope so too, Sunshine. I hope so too." Elle said.

AN: This is the second chapter in a row with a title with the word "Damage" or "Damaged" in it. And I'm not sure why I didn't use "What's Your Damage?" as a chapter name before, it just came to me when I started writing the last chapter. Anyway, hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!