My Friend, You Will Be Missed

"All students should report to the gymnasium for an assembly." we all heard on the loudspeaker.

Students filed into the gym, and I sat next to my friends.

"Um, this is going to be short, but we have some solemn news to share. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Ethan Connor's mother as her son died unexpectedly last week." the principal said, and I got shaky with nerves.

"He's gone?" I whispered to Cesca.

"He's a cheater, Cat. Why do you care?" Red said, smirking.

"Red, this isn't funny. I loved him at one point." I said.

"I know, and I'm so sorry." Red said.

"I'm gonna call my mom." I said, pulling out my phone.

"Hello? Sunshine? What's going on?"

"Ethan died..." I said.

"Oh my God. For real?" Elle asked.

"Yeah..." I said, about to cry.

"Oh, Sunshine, I'm so sorry. Do you want to go home?"

"Please."

"Jessica and I will be there shortly. Hang in there, okay baby? I love you."

"Love you too." I said, hanging up.

__________

"You know what the saddest part of this is?" I asked when I got home.

"What?" Jessica asked.

"Ethan and I never got to find common ground again." I said, crying. I hugged a pillow and started sobbing. Sure, he was a cheater, but I did love him at one point. He was my world.

"Oh, Cat, we're so sorry." Elle said, hugging me.

"It isn't your fault, it's mine. Ethan is dead and there's nothing I can do about it." I said.

"It's not your fault. And, you can still be sad about it. You can still miss him." Elle said, rubbing my back.

"I feel bad now. Violet kissed him first. He died and I didn't even get to say goodbye!" I said.

"Ah, survivor's guilt." Jessica said.

"What? Jess, this is serious. Ethan is gone. I didn't get to say goodbye to him, I refused to speak to him." I said.

"Survivor's guilt is when you feel guilty about living through an event but someone else didn't." Jessica said.

"Why did this have to happen?" I asked.

"We don't know, Sunshine." Elle said.

"I feel so bad for not talking to him while I had the chance...he's gone, Elle. He's gone. My military-kid ex boyfriend is gone." I said, still in denial.

I heard a knock on the door and then heard, "Cat. It's Evan. Can I come in?"

"I guess." I said, and Evan came in and hugged me.

"I guess you heard the news." Jessica said, and Evan nodded, squeezing me tightly.

"I'm so sorry, baby sis." Evan said, giving me a kiss on the head while I just cried. I felt safe in my brother's arms.

"Hey, Sunshine, Ethan's mom is going to come over for dinner." I nodded, and then the doorbell rang. Evan let go of me, kissed my forehead, and said, "I'm going to help with dinner."

I couldn't take it anymore. I ran to my room and broke down sobbing. I didn't feel like talking to anyone. Ethan was gone, and I'd never see him again.

What would've happened if I gave him another chance...

"Cat? It's Elle." I heard, along with knocking on the door.

"Go away." I said, but Elle didn't listen. Elle barged in, Jessica right behind her.

"I'm so sorry, Sunshine." Elle said.

"It's not your fault." I said, falling into Elle's chest. Elle wrapped her arms tightly around me and rubbed my back. "Oh, Sunshine..." Elle said.

I was sandwiched in a hug between Elle and Jessica, which honestly, felt really good.

"It's my fault." I said.

"No it's not." I heard. Ethan's mom was standing in the doorway.

"I didn't get a chance to say goodbye, I refused to talk to him and now it's too late." I said. I turned to Elle and started sobbing. "Momma..."

"Oh, Cat..." Elle said, stroking my hair.

"This is my fault..." I said.

"It isn't." Jessica said. "Jessica's right, this isn't your fault." Elle said in response.

"Why did this have to happen? I wanted to give him another chance..." I said.

"He wanted to do the same thing." Ms. Connors said.

"He did? But I snapped at him that one day...when Violet kissed him." I said.

"He really did love you, Cat." Ms. Connors said. "Also, he wanted you to have this." Ms. Connors walked out to her car and came back a few minutes later.

Ethan gave me his violin.

"He loved this." I said.

"He knew music helps you." Ms. Connors said. "Don't think he forgot about you. He still loved you, even after you broke up."

I nodded, finally calming down.

"You okay there, Sunshine?" Elle asked.

"Finally." I said, giggling a little. I was falling in love with Ethan all over again, even though I'd never see him.

"I miss him." I said, and Elle said, "I know."

"Ethan, if you can hear me, I love you. I'm sorry for being such a jerk to you. It wasn't your fault. I believe every word you said. How is it up there? Did you see your mama? Tell her Catlynn says hi. And as for that violin you gave me, I'm planning on playing it at school sometime, in your memory. Even though we ended things on bad terms, I'm falling in love with you all over again. I'm really going to miss seeing you in the booth after school, and all the walks we would take around Broadway. I miss you so much, Ethan. I know I refused to speak to you, and I really regret that. Actually, Ethan, um, you know what I'm planning to do? For the Nutcracker, um, I'm gonna dedicate my solo to you. I know how much you loved watching me practice it. So, um, Ethan, I love you so much, and goodbye." I said.

"That was beautiful." Elle said, hugging me.

"It really was. You have such a way with words, Sunshine." Jessica said.

I noticed something balled up in the corner of my bedroom.

"That's weird. Ethan left his sweatshirt here the last time he came over." I said. I handed the sweatshirt to Ms. Connors and said, "You must want this."

"No. Cat, it's yours. It's what Ethan would've wanted." I smiled, and set Ethan's violin down in the corner and put his sweatshirt over it. "This is for him."

"You're an incredible little girl, Catlynn." Elle said.

I smiled at Elle and hugged her.

AN: Next chapter's going to be happier, I promise. It's laser tag time! Anyways, hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!