Whine, Whine, Whine All Night

"JESSICA!" I cried at the top of my lungs, shooting awake.

" Cat, Cat, Cat - I'm here, Cat. You're okay." Jessica said, running in without her crutches and throwing herself on my bed. I hugged her, sobbing, and Jessica said, " I've got you, sweetheart." while rocking me back and forth.

"I'm sorry for waking you up..." I said.

"Oh, Cat, it's okay. I was up anyway. The Great British Baking Show is quite addicting." she said, pushing my hair out of my face.

I started to sob my eyes out, and Jessica said, "Oh honey..." and continued to rock me.

"I can't keep living like this!" I cried, grabbing onto Jess.

"I know, kiddo. What can I do?" she asked.

"Just be there...I'm sorry...I had a nightmare about the crash...that's why I yelled for you..." I said.

"I'm always here, Cat. I'm not going anywhere." Jess said.

"That was the worst nightmare I've ever had..." I said.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Jessica asked. I sighed, and said, "I'm sure you don't want to hear about the crash..."

"If it'll help you, then I want to hear about it." Jessica said, taking my hand. I sighed, and said, "So...um...I had a nightmare about the crash...and you didn't make it..."

"Okay, well, Cat, I'm still alive, see?" Jessica said. She took my hand and put it to her chest so I could feel her pulse. "I'm right here."

I fell into Jessica, sobbing, and she held me tight. "I've got you, love, I've got you and I'm not going anywhere." she whispered in my ear.

"Can...can I just let it out..." I asked, about to break. Jessica pulled me into her and said, "That's it, Sunshine, let it out - just cry." I sobbed my heart out, knowing I was safe.

"The crash has made me scared of losing you guys...I don't want you guys to die and for me to be thrown back in the foster system...or worse, be taken back to my dad." I said, relieved that I finally let that out.

"Okay, I understand that. But, I'll tell you this - you are never ever going back into the system. There are too many of us who love you." Jess said, and I smiled a little.

"I've been so scared of that lately...and I've kept it in..." I said.

"Women and girls are taught to keep our emotions in, Cat, but it's a dangerous habit. It takes incredible strength to tell someone that you're struggling or that you're scared." Jessica said, putting her finger under my chin. " You, you are so, so brave and so strong."

"I hate bottling up my emotions...I try to let it out but the fear I've had my whole life consumes me and I can't." I said.

"Have you ever tried keeping a journal?" Jessica asked. I shrugged, and said, "Ryan gave me one, remember? But I don't keep it updated that often."

"Maybe you should try that? If you don't want to talk to us about it, you could write it there. That way, you can remember it, but it doesn't always have to be weighing down on you?" Jess asked, and I started sobbing again. Jessica rocked me back and forth and kissed my head.

"Jess..." I asked in between sobs.

"Yes, love?" she asked.

"Don't leave yet..."

"Never. Sleep, Cat. I'll be here when you wake up." she said.

Sleep. Going to sleep is what got me into this mess in the first place.

"I'm too scared to sleep..." I said.

"That's okay. Do you want to listen to some music? Or watch a movie? There's probably a bad, sappy romance that we can make fun of." Jessica said, giggling. I wasn't amused.

"I just want a hug..." I said, and Jessica hugged me tight.

"I'm scared to sleep..." I said, curled up in Jessica's lap.

"Do you want me to read to you? Or sing something? Or, we could sneak into Elle's room and bother her together?" Jessica asked. I laughed a little, and Jessica said, "There's that laugh." while nudging my nose.

"I'm tired but I'm too scared to sleep." I said, snuggling into Jessica.

"Why don't I sing something?" she asked. I nodded, and she started to sing Kindergarten Boyfriend over and over while tracing my face.

" I can't! I can't sleep! I want to, but I can't!" I cried, starting to sob hard. Jessica hugged me tight and said, "I know, I know."

"Don't go...I need you." I said. Jessica wrapped her arms tighter around me and said, " I'm not going anywhere, Catlynn. I'm always here for you."

"Can you hug me?" I asked.

Jessica smiled and hugged me, and said, "For the rest of your life."

"If I go to sleep, promise me you wont leave?" I asked. Jessica smiled, and said, "I'll be here all night."

"I love you, Jessica." I said, snuggling into her and closing my eyes.

"I love you too, Catlynn." she said, kissing my head.

"Can you sing to me?" I asked.

"Kindergarten Boyfriend?" Jessica asked in response, and I nodded.

"It would be my pleasure." she said, starting to sing.

"Good night, Jess. Thanks for being there." I said.

Jessica kissed me on the head and said, "I'm always going to be here, Sunshine. Sleep well."

I closed my eyes and finally fell asleep.

_______
Elle's POV

I heard some commotion coming from Cat's room and woke up.

"That's weird. Cat's usually a really sound sleeper." I said to myself.

Then it hit me. She must've had a nightmare. The poor girl was fighting it on her own. I scrambled out of bed and ran to Catlynn's room, not before I noticed something a little odd.

"Wait a minute..." I said, backing up and switching on the hallway light.

Jessica was gone. And her crutches were still there.

"I'm gonna have a long talk with that woman..." I said, gently knocking on the door. "Sunshine? Are you up?" I asked. I opened the door and Jessica was on Cat's bed, waving to me. Catlynn was asleep on her chest.

"I have so many questions." I said, shocked.

"I promised Cat I wouldn't leave, so ask away." Jessica said, quietly chuckling.

"First, how did you get here without your crutches? Second, why did Cat wake up? And third, how did you get her to sleep?"

Jessica laughed, playing with Cat's hair. "First, there's something called adrenaline. I ran. Second, she had a nightmare and yelled out for me. Third, I just had to sing to her. Isn't that what you do?"

I nodded, thinking about it a little harder. "Wait, how did I not hear her scream?" I asked.

"I barely heard it. I think she was trying not to wake you up." Jessica said, laughing. "Do you want to watch The Great British Baking Show with me?" she asked, grabbing Cat's laptop.

"Catlynn's gonna kill you." I said, sitting on the foot of Cat's bed.

"It's fine. I'm getting her in the show anyway." Jessica laughed as the opening theme played.

AN: Me, almost crying over my own chapter? It's more likely than you think. And you're finally getting the sushi date in the next chapter. It's not gonna end well, though. Anyway, hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!