Think, Long and Hard

I hadn't told my friends what happened. It felt like it was me and Elle against the world. I was in the car heading to the hospital, where Jessica, my aunt, my world, was fighting for her life.

"If she does survive, will she be herself?" I asked Elle.

"I don't know, Sunshine. Her internal injuries are pretty bad. She's not going to look like herself, you know that, right?" I nodded, in between tears.

"I wish I could call her." I said.

"She's not going to be awake for a while." Elle said. "Sunshine, I know it's hard, but Jess still loves you. I still love you."

"If I had stayed awake and Jess came in the house to talk to you, she wouldn't be in the crash. She wouldn't be in a coma. She would be with me." Elle sighed, and said, "Oh Sunshine...I know this is hard for you. It's hard for me too."

"What...what about Ryan?" I asked.

"Jessica got hit the hardest. Keep in mind, the other car involved hit Jessica's door. Ryan just has a few broken bones."

I cried the whole way to the hospital, and I forced myself to dry my tears. I had to stay strong for Jessica and Ryan.

"Let's go see Ryan first. They won't allow me to see Jess because there's too many people in her room at the moment." I nodded, and squeezed Elle's hand.

"Are you ready?" Elle asked me before knocking on Ryan's door. We opened it, and I saw Ryan sitting up in a hospital bed, with a cast on his arm.

"Hi Sunshine." he said quietly.

"Hi." I said, as Elle put her arm around me. "Ryan, I'm so sorry..." I said, crying.

"No. No. Sunshine, don't you dare apologize."

"If I had stayed awake, this wouldn't have happened..." I said.

"No. If you had stayed awake, you would've been here with us. You're lucky, Sunshine. You're alive."

I nodded, and Elle pulled out her phone and whispered in my ear, "Alice just left so we can see Jessica now." I buried my head in Elle's chest and she kissed my hair. "Are you up for it, Sunshine?"

I nodded, and said, "Yeah, but I'm scared."

Elle sighed, and said, "I know. I know this is hard."

I waved goodbye to Ryan, who said, "You can hug me. It's okay. Just be gentle." I ran to his hospital bed and launched myself in his arms. Ryan kissed the top of my head and said, "I'm so glad you didn't have to go through what I did..." I started crying, and Ryan said, "Go see Jessica. I'm sure she'll love to see you."

"She's in a coma, Ryan." Elle said. The words rang through my ears, reminding me that Jessica was fighting for her life.

"Let's go, Sunshine." Elle said, picking me up. I waved bye to Ryan, who said, "I love you, Sunshine. Stay strong."

About five minutes later, Elle put me down in front of another door. "Are you ready, Sunshine?" I nodded, and started clinging to her.

Elle opened the door, and I saw Jessica lying in a hospital bed.

"I'm scared she's not going to make it." I said to Elle. I was on her lap.

"Try to stay positive, Sunshine." Elle said.

"Can Jess hear us?" I asked.

"Maybe." Elle said.

I ran over to Jessica's hospital bed, and Elle helped me slip my hand in hers. "Hi Jess. It's me, Sunshine. I really miss you and I hope you make it." Elle looked at me with a sad smile.

"I love you so much. You've done so much for me. I hope you make it, more than anything. I love you!" I cried.

"I wrote you a letter, how I found the spelling bee such fun. Mama, Mama, Mama! But you didn't react. And you never asked me if I'd join you in the Bombay sun. Mama, Mama, Mama! I had quietly packed. When are you returning? I know we agreed. Tell me what you're learning, Ma, I have, Oh God, this need!" I sung.

I was preparing for the worst. I could feel my heart beating, waiting for the heart monitor to flatline. I wanted to get the worst over with. But it was still going steady, which gave me a bit of hope.

Elle smiled at me, as I kept singing softly to Jessica.

Suddenly, she opened her eyes and turned towards me. I screamed and started crying tears of joy, and Elle ran over and hugged me.

"Hi Cat." Jessica said. She remembered who I was. "Hi Elle."

I was smiling like an idiot. Jessica was alive.

"Jessica!" Elle cried. "How are you feeling?"

"Well, I got in a car crash." Jess said.

"I thought you died!" I said. Jessica squeezed my hand, and said, "I'm alive, Cat. Don't worry."

A doctor walked in and looked at Jessica in shock.

"She's awake." he said. I smiled happily.

"Is she going to make it?" Elle asked, worried.

"I think so. She's going to be here for a while, though." the doctor said.

"What happened to her?" I asked.

"She has a severe concussion. And internal bleeding." I sadly looked at Jessica, who kissed my hand.

"I'll be fine, Sunshine. Don't worry." Jessica said.

"I hope so." I said.

"I know so." Elle smiled at me.

AN: I FIXED IT. GOOD NEWS. NO ONE SUE ME, PLEASE. Jess is going to be in the hospital for a few weeks, though. Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!