What's Your Damage?

"Catlynn Reeve." I heard from behind me.

"How do you know my last name?" I said before turning around. Violet Gardner was standing behind me. 

"It's called attendance, loser." she said. I stared at her and said, "Reeve's not my legal last name anymore. It's McLemore." I almost regretted saying that. 

"Stop being an obsessive fangirl, Catlynn. Your last name is Reeve and it'll always be that way."

"I have the adoption papers! The...the certificate is hanging up in my living room!" I cried. 

"You're pathetic, Catlynn. Stop trying to make us believe you got adopted by the stars of a musical." Violet said. "And stop trying to guilt the entire school into sympathy by saying that Jessica Keenan Wynn is your aunt. If she's really your aunt, tell me something only you and her would know." 

I took a deep breath, and pulled up a picture of me and her. It was from the movie night at the hospital. "Does this answer your question?" I said. 

"Photoshop exists." Violet said.

"Why would I Photoshop something like that?" I asked. 

"Because you're an obsessive fangirl, that's why. You would think Elle would share something on social media about having a kid." I sighed, and said to myself, "Stay strong, Cat, you can do this." 

I couldn't stay strong. I ran to the school bathroom and cried my eyes out. I texted Elle, saying, Do you mind calling me? I'm having a rough day.

Elle texted back within minutes, saying, Jessica's at the doctor. Call Evan or Ryan. They'll answer you.

 I called Evan, and the phone rang for what seemed like forever. Then, Evan said, "Cat?"

"Evan, I'm so sorry to bother you, but I really need someone to talk to." I said, starting to go on a rant. 

"Aww. What's wrong, little sis?" he asked.

"Two words. Violet. Gardner." I said. Evan said, "Aww. Is she bothering you again?" I started crying, and Evan said, "Do you want to go to my house?" 

I said, "No! I've missed too much school and I'll have a ton of schoolwork to catch up on." Evan sighed, and said, "Where are you?"

"The school bathroom. Why?" I said. Evan sighed, and said, "It's that bad?" I nodded, and then something happened.

Those stomach cramps were back. 

"Evan..." I said.

"What's wrong, little sis?" he said. I sighed, and said, "My stomach hurts."

"Do you want to go home?" Evan asked. "I could stay with you."

"No...I can ride it out for one day. It's fine." I said. I started to get up and head back to class. "I have to go anyway, Evan. Love you."

"I love you too, little sis." I hung up and headed to Band. 

"What's wrong?" Axel asked when I walked in. "You look like you were crying. Is everything okay?" I nodded, and said, "It's nothing."

"It's definitely something, Kit." Red said. "Kit?" I asked.

"It's a long story. Just like my nickname. If you don't like it I-" Red started to say, then I said, "I like it." 

"Good. Now, tell us what's wrong." Red said.

"It's nothing you can fix." I said, and Cesca and Axel stared at each other.

"Jessica..." Cesca said, and Axel said, "You can tell us, Cat."

"It has nothing to do with Jessica, okay?" I said. "I'm sorry for snapping, but it's nothing." My friends stared at each other as I texted Elle, I'm having a horrible day. Something's wrong, and I don't know what.

I started to unpack my saxophone, and Axel tapped me on the shoulder. "You okay, Star?"

"What is with the nicknames? My family calls me Sunshine, Red calls me Kit, Jessica started calling me Cat and now it has caught on, and Cesca calls me Olive." I laughed, and Axel hugged me. "There's that laugh." 

A flute player started chuckling, and my smile immediately fell. I didn't want to see a flute player again.

"Ignore the flute section." Axel said. My phone vibrated, and Elle had texted me.

Oh, Sunshine, it's going to be okay. Jessica and I are picking you up after school today. Love you.

"What's up?" Axel asked.

"Elle's picking me up after school today." I said. 

"Isn't today Thursday?" Axel asked. "Didn't you say one of your brothers had you?" 

"No, Ryan is. But with Jessica's back and forth doctor's appointments, we decided it would be easier if Elle just picked me up on the way home. Ryan can't drive anyway, he broke his arm." Axel laughed, and said, "Ready to nail your solo, Star?"

"Always." I sat down next to him in the saxophone section and pulled out my sheet music.

"Catlynn! Your hair is stuck in your neck strap again!" Cesca said from behind me.

"It's not my fault my hair is long!" I laughed, and Red studied my hair. "I've seen longer."

"On who?" I laughed.

"Half of the girls in your family!" Red laughed. "Alice, your mom, Katie..."

"Gonna stop you right there. Katie's hair is not long. And yes, Alice's hair is long." I laughed, and started playing a major scale on my saxophone. 

"How's the Nutcracker solo going?" Axel asked.

"Great! Show's in mid-December, I hope Jessica's better by then so she can come." I said.

"Can she come to the band concert? It would suck if she couldn't, given, you know, your solo." Cesca said. I laughed, and said, "Yeah, I think so. I hope so, at least." 

"I know this has been hard. But you're getting through it." Red said. I nodded, and said, "I remember Elle telling me that it happened."

"How did it happen? You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." Axel said. I sighed, and said, "At around 8:15, a drunk driver hit Jessica's car door, and she immediately got knocked unconscious. Ryan luckily got out with only a few broken bones, but we didn't know if Jessica would survive at first." Axel and Red stared at me, and Cesca said, "Cat..."

"Stop being pathetic." said a flute player. Axel said, "She's not being pathetic." 

Then, the bell rang, and I said, "See you guys tomorrow, I guess?" My friends nodded, and Red said, "See ya, Kit."

AN: The nicknames. Cat deserves all the nicknames. I'm writing this while listening to the Nutcracker. (Cat's solo song just came on!) Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!