A Very Nice, Very Very Nice, Very Nice Beginning

I sat up in bed, home from the hospital finally after all those days. Sure, it had only been five days, but it felt like five years.

For some reason, today didn't feel like a normal day. But in the good way. It felt like a special day.

I rolled over and grabbed my phone.

April 4th, 2015

"It's been a year. A whole year since my whole life changed." I said, looking out the window and smiling.

I unlocked my phone and scrolled through my camera roll. I got my phone a week after Elle took me in, so the first picture on it was one Ryan took of himself. I looked through the pictures and started sobbing happy tears.

"Sunshine? Are you up?" Elle asked, barging in my room. 

"Mommy...today's the day..." I said, still crying happy tears. Elle smiled, nodded, and hugged me tightly. 

"It's been a year. One whole year." Elle said. I smiled at Elle and said, "What are we doing today?"

"Homework. I'm forcing you to do extra math problems." Elle said, giggling like a maniac. I groaned in between giggles, knowing she was kidding. 

"Seriously, what are we doing? I know you have something special planned based off of the look in your eyes." I said. 

Elle picked me up and said, "Close your eyes." I giggled and shut my eyes, trying not to fall back asleep in Elle's arms, since I was overtired. 

"SURPRISE!" I heard. Elle put me down on the couch and I opened my eyes again. Jess, Katie, Ryan, Jon, Evan, Barrett, Alice, Cesca, Axel, Vera, Ebony, Astrid, Erin, Juno, Lachlan, and Red were standing in the living room. 

"I've been here since 5 in the morning!" Red screeched. "Yeah, Jessica was not happy when I started banging on the door." 

"It's been a whole year since Elle took you in, Sunshine. A whole year since you became ours." Katie said, hugging me tightly. I smiled, trying to prevent the tears from spilling. But it was hard.

I remembered my life before I met Elle. What I wore. Who my friends were. What I did for fun. I was the Student Council Vice President, the girl who liked to draw a bit. The girl who wore French braids and liked walking around the city. Quiet, shy, geeky, that was me. 

I smiled, thinking about where I am now. On the couch with my aunt Katie's arm thrown around me, my best friend Red throwing M&Ms at my head trying to get my attention, a bright red saxophone in the corner, an Honor Roll certificate on the wall with my name on it, and the best thing of all, an official adoption certificate proudly displayed. My adoption certificate. 

I smiled at Astrid, who shot me a goofy smile back. Erin and her were playing The Game of Life on the floor, with Evan trying to weasel his way into the game. 

A year ago today, around this time of day, I didn't think anything good would come from that day. But I made the mistake of telling my dad that I had a Student Council meeting the next day. That's why he got mad at me and pinned me to that wall. 

And instead of going to that Student Council meeting? I was in Elle McLemore's apartment, eavesdropping on her on the phone, unenrolling me from private school and enrolling me into Astrid's school. And instead of going to my teeny tiny room after school, for those first few months, my home was the New World Stages. 

And instead of being called Catherine, I was called Sunshine. The difference? 

The name Sunshine made me smile like an idiot. Because the name came from people who loved me to the universe and back. 

Thinking of the memories made it harder and harder to contain the happy tears. But thinking of the first time Katie sung Kindergarten Boyfriend to me to calm me down did it for me. I turned to Katie and started sobbing into her shoulder. 

"Thank you." I whispered to her in between sobs. Katie kissed my head and said, "For what?"

"For everything." I said, not able to get anything else out. I was crying too hard. Katie rubbed my back and I kept sobbing happy tears. I couldn't stop.

Today was too special.

These past 365 days have been a roller coaster for me. A fun one. Spelling Bee, all the hospital trips, the crash, starting ballet, finding out about my blood condition, getting a boyfriend and then having him cheat on me and then die, Seussical, my dad not leaving me alone, my knee problems, the list goes on and on. 

I snapped out of my fantasy, realizing I was still in Katie's arms. At my one-year-with-Elle celebration party.

"Hey Kit!" Red said, repeatedly tapping me on the shoulder. I repostioned myself so I was sitting on Katie's lap and turned towards Red. "Yeah?" I asked.

"Axel brought an ice cream maker with him. Cesca found the chocolate chips and they're trying to see who has the biggest sweet tooth." Red said. "You in?"

I shook my head no and sunk back on the couch. 

I looked around and smiled at my family. There was my brother Jon, who called me nothing but Olive. My other brother Evan, who would drop everything he was doing to do ballet. My big sister Alice, who took me out for sister sushi dates constantly. My other sister Barrett, who gets Seussical songs stuck in her head from me singing them. My dad Ryan, who was always willing to stand up to Violet Gardner when no one else would. My aunt Katie, who was always there for a hug and a cuddle when I needed it. My aunt Jessica, who had Gmail bookmarked on her laptop for the sole purpose of sending complaint emails. 

And my mom, Elle McLemore, who changed my life. And who I loved more than anything else.

And my friends too. There was Astrid Waters, my first friend and the biggest fangirl I know. There was Francesca Sawyer, the theatre kid trumpet player who had been with me since the beginning. There was Axel Riesling, the only other saxophone at Hamilton Middle School. There was Red Ashley, the clarinet girl who I thought died in a subway crash. There was Lachlan Connors, my on-stage love interest and funniest boy I know. There was Erin Hunt, who was like an older sister. And her niece, Juno Ellison, gayest fangirl I know and was like a little sister to me. There was Ebony Sears, gorgeous pansexual flute player and Hamilton alumni. There was Vera Campbell, cookie dough competitor.

And last, but certainly not least, Ethan Connors. Who I regret not giving a second chance to.

I smiled and snuggled into Elle, who kissed my head.

"Are you having fun, Sunshine?" I nodded, sobbing happily.

This April 4th was better than the last one. 

AN: Me? Crying over my own chapter? It's more likely than you think. And sorry for not writing in a while, I've had zero ideas. Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!