My Philosophy Is Simply, Things Could Be Worse!

"So. We're right back where we started, aren't we?" I said sarcastically. Hospital rooms should not feel this familiar to me, but between my blood condition, the crash, and Alice getting sick, going to hospitals became like second nature to me. It's been that way since April.

But here's the thing. If someone said, "You don't have to go to any hospitals again, but you'll have to give up Elle and the others," I'd choose Elle. Even though I hate hospitals, I love my family more than anything in the world. Well, they're my family. And having been abused almost all of my life, I never got a good family. At least up until 7 months ago.

Seven months. It's been seven months since Elle found me. And it's been 4 months since the crash. It feels like I've known Elle since the day I was born. And it feels like the crash just happened yesterday. 

"Cat...Earth to Catlynn..." I snapped back to reality and saw Evan waving his hand in front of my face. "Huh?" I said, looking up at Evan. 

"Daydreaming again, weren't you?" Evan said, sitting next to me on my bed. I sighed and said, "Are you guys mad that I got suspended?"

"No, we aren't mad. We know it wasn't your fault. Violet Gardner's the one who should be expelled." Jessica said.

"Woah, Jess, I'm not expelled. I have to go to school on Monday. That is, if I'm out of the hospital by then." I said. 

"Let's hope. They just did a blood test, just to make sure everything's okay and your blood oxidation's normal." Elle said. 

"Will I have to get surgery or anything? I hate anesthesia." I said. 

"Probably not, but if you do, we'll be right here when you wake up. I promise." Elle said. "We'll be there while you fall asleep." 

I looked down at the hospital bracelet on my wrist. The white bracelet with my full name and birthday on it. I twirled it around my wrist, bored.

"Hey, Cat. Are you excited for Seussical?" Ryan asked, taking my attention away from surgery and anesthesia and hospitals.

"Yeah. I'm so excited. The show's in only a few weeks, and I could not be happier. We all got our costumes a while ago, all the props and set pieces are coming in. I could not ask for a better cast. And as for the songs, Alone in the Universe sort of hits me hard, because I do feel alone in the universe sometimes. And I sprint in a minefield and die." I said, going on a rant about how much I loved being in Seussical.

"You...die?" Alice asked. "Wait, you told me this. Oops, I remember now." 

"Well, I don't 'die.' I go missing. Schmitz thinks I died, and he tells the Mayors, my parents, that I'm dead. But I'm alive." I said.

"Well, thank God for that." Evan said. I giggled, then a nurse walked in.

"Hello, sorry to interrupt. Catlynn, how are you feeling?" the nurse asked. I flashed her a thumbs-up. "That's good. Just wanted to check in on you." The nurse took my temperature, checked my heartbeat and pulse, and took my blood pressure. "All good for now!" the nurse said. I smiled and nodded, then pulled out the book I brought.

"I want to go home." I said. 

"Hey, you can go home tomorrow. Everything looks good, they just want you here for observation." Elle said, and I nodded. "I don't want to be in any more hospitals. They scare me."

"I know, I know. But you're being so brave and you're doing so well. And I can get you some ice cream." Elle said, elbowing me playfully. I wasn't amused.

"I want to go home!" I yelled, crying. Elle hugged me and kissed my head. "I know you want to go home, I know how scary this is for you. I got an idea." Elle took my book out of my hands and sat down in the bed with me. She hugged me close and started reading to me. I got mad and ripped the book out of Elle's hands, crying.

"What's wrong?" Elle asked.

"I'm scared..." I said. Elle hugged me close and said, "I know. I know you're scared. Do you want to play a game?" I shook my head and said, "All I want is to go home."

"That's not an option right now." Elle said soothingly. "But we're all right here with you, and we're not leaving."

"I guess we can do something fun." I said, and Elle whooped. Jessica passed me a deck of cards and I smiled. 

"Come on, Jess. Go Fish? You know you're gonna lose." I said, shuffling the cards at rapid speed. 

"I forgot that Cat was the master at Go Fish." Elle said. I laughed hysterically and dealt out the cards even faster. 

"Can someone teach me Cat's secret? Seriously, Cat, how are you so good?" Evan asked.

"Logic. Wits. And smarts." I said. "I'm pretty quick with my brain." 

"Heck yeah, you are." Jon said.

______

Three rounds later, everyone had pretty much given up. I was putting the cards away when I heard a knock on the door. A nurse came in and said, "Having fun, aren't we?"

"Yeah. I'm pretty good at card games." I said. 

"Is everything okay?" Elle asked, getting concerned. The nurse took Elle out of the room and I started to cry.

"Don't worry, it's probably nothing. They probably just want to give Elle an update on how you're doing." Jessica said.

"I'm getting worried." I said softly, crying. Jessica got on the bed with me and hugged me tight. "You can do this. No matter what happens, I'll be right here with you. I promise." Jessica whispered in my ear. 

The nurse came back with Elle and I started to cry a little harder. I was not ready for whatever the nurse was going to tell me, I knew it wasn't good news. Not with my rotten luck.

"Is everything okay?" Jessica asked. Elle sadly shook her head, and I started crying into my knees.

"Cat, you need another transfusion. Right away." the nurse said.

AN: Hahahahaha, not only a cliffhanger, but another blood transfusion! Told you I was back with the evil plans. Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!