This Could Be Our Final Chance

DISCLAIMER: I'm not going to make the cast change like in real life. It's too confusing for me. So the original cast will be in this performance. 

I was getting ready to go see Heathers with Cesca and Astrid. Unfortunately, it was closing night. I had bought an outfit in secret with my friends and didn't show it to anyone in the cast. 

I looked in the mirror at the blue and white dress I bought and the silver heels I bought with it. I looked more like I was going to a school dance, not the theater. But I felt beautiful, and that was all that mattered. 

I had taken Elle's curling iron from her, and I was curling my very straight, but long, auburn hair. "Perfect." I said, and I put a white headband in it and started putting on makeup. Elle had taught me how to put on makeup a while ago, but not before saying I was beautiful just the way I am. 

Once I was done, I knocked on Elle's door. She opened it, and immediately hugged me.

"Sunshine. You look gorgeous. Absolutely stunning." Elle put her hands on my shoulders, and said, "It's hard to believe you're a teenager. You're growing up, right before my eyes." I hugged Elle and said, "I'm sad." 

Elle said, "I spent almost the entire run of Heathers raising a daughter. I wouldn't have traded that for the world. I love you so much, beautiful girl." I started crying, and Elle hugged me. "Go be beautiful, my Sunshine." Elle kissed me on the forehead and then the doorbell rang.

"You look amazing!" Cesca said. 

"Cat. You're gorgeous. Let's go." Astrid said. I started to wave goodbye to Elle, but she pulled me in the house and said, "If you get scared, at all, text me during intermission. I love you, Sunshine." 

We walked to the theater. It was a long walk from Elle's apartment, but we talked the whole way there. When we got there and sat down, I almost cried.

"This is it." I said. "My last time in here. Ever." 

"I sort of forgot you're in here more than we are." Astrid said. I sighed, and then the lights dimmed. 

"Beautiful." I said, as Barrett came out and said the opening lines. I was already crying, even though nothing sad had happened yet.

Then Jessica, Alice, and Elle came out and I screamed as loud as I could. I could see Elle smile slightly without breaking character. By Me inside of Me I was crying. Not because Jessica's character had just died, but because it might be the last time I see her. 

When I heard Ryan sing, "They made you cry..." I knew what was coming. 

"Our Love is God." I whispered to Cesca and reached for her hand. I thought the song was really sweet, until I heard "1...2...3!" and the gun fired. I immediately covered my ears and Cesca smiled at me. 

When it was intermission, I texted Elle, You're doing great! I love it!

Aww, thank you Sunshine. I love you. ❤😘

I smiled and put my phone away because Act 2 was about to begin. 

I started crying during Seventeen. It was so beautiful.

 And Lifeboat broke me. I was crying like an idiot. And I love Alice and all, but Heather Duke is a huge jerk. 

I started crying even more during Kindergarten Boyfriend. I knew all the words by heart because of how many times Elle sung it to calm me down. 

The bomb in I Am Damaged didn't faze me as much as it used to. Seventeen (Reprise) is my favorite song by far. 

I screamed so loudly during bows my throat started to hurt. When Elle came out I screamed the loudest, people were staring. I noticed Elle nudge Jessica, who just smirked. 

Elle took a microphone after a closing night speech from the director (which made me cry) and said, 

"During this run of Heathers, I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity of a lifetime. I found an abused girl outside the theater around early April and decided to take her in. Little did I know, she would become my world. I love her so much, and am so luckily to call her my daughter. She's in the front row right now, but I want her to come up and introduce herself to the world. Come on up, Catlynn Sunshine McLemore!" Elle said. Everyone started clapping, and I ran up to the stage and hugged Elle.

"Hi." I said shyly into the microphone. "My name is Catlynn, and I'm 13 years old. This cast, well, my family, has been the best thing to ever happen to me. I love them all so much. Elle is now legally my mother, and I am so grateful for that. Jessica, over there, she's my 'aunt,' Katie's my other 'aunt.' Ryan's my 'dad', though not legally. Evan and Jon are my chaotic brothers, and Barrett and Alice are my older sisters. I love my family so much. I guess you guys are wondering how I got here. Um, back in April, my dad got mad at me and pinned me to a brick wall right across the street from the theater. Elle noticed from the window and practically saved my life. For most of my life, I wanted to get out of my house. Like, I wanted to run away. I never thought I would be adopted, much less by a Broadway star. Well, after 3 trips to the hospital, 2 surgeries, a couple of sprained and broken limbs, and 2 mishaps with my biological dad and brother, I'm here. Safe, happy, and loved."

 I started crying, and said, "I was scared that after Heathers closes, the cast would forget who I am. But they're not. They're not just 'the cast of Heathers' anymore to me, they're my family. I wouldn't trade falling asleep on Jessica after doing homework, late-night 7-11 runs with Ryan, sushi dates with Alice and Barrett, Go Fish games with Elle, eating chocolate in my bedroom with Evan and Jon, karaoke nights, FaceTimes at 3 in the morning, or line memorizing for the world. Those are the memories that'll stay with me forever." I turned towards the cast, and said, "I love you guys. 4 months and strong with you guys. We got this." 

The audience applauded, and I was wrapped in a group hug. "That was beautiful." Elle whispered to me.

After the audience left, we went backstage one last time to clean up. 

"I didn't even recognize you at first, Cat." Jessica said. "You looked different. Older." 

"That was my intention." I said, giggling. 

Evan picked me up from behind and put me on his shoulders, and said, "Hey, little sis! You look so pretty!" He flipped me on the couch. Ryan came in and hugged me, "That was a beautiful speech by an even more beautiful young woman. 

"Thanks, everyone." I said.

Katie ran in and hugged me tight, and said, "Catlynn! I had no idea you had such a way with words!" I blushed, and Barrett said, "I do love our sushi dates." I laughed, and her and Alice hugged me.

"You wanna go home?" Elle said sadly.

I nodded, crying, and took a couple of more pictures of the theater. 

My home for the past 4 months.

We all put our arms around each other as we walked out, and Elle kissed my head and said, "It'll be okay, Sunshine."

AN: Now I'm crying. Also no, this is NOT the end of the book. Not at all. I'll probably still be writing Adopted by Heathers in like 20 years, if Wattpad is still around then. Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!