We Always Knew You Were a Winner

"Are you ready, Catlynn?" Elle asked before putting on the background track to My Friend, the Dictionary. I sighed, clutching my music in my hand, and noticed that almost the entire cast was sitting in the audience.

It felt weird to be on the stage where Heathers was performed. I was on here only once before, during my surprise party. I took a deep breath, and the track started. Ryan turned it off, and yelled, "Ms. Ostrovsky." 

I stepped out to the front of the stage, and Elle looked at the copy of the script and said, "Ms. Ostrovsky came in second in her school's Halloween contest."

I forgot the line after that, I only knew the lines in the soundtrack. I saw Barrett mouth to me, "I was roadkill." and I said, "I was roadkill." 

Ryan said, "Your word is boanthropy." 

"Oh, excuse me, um, ma'am, could you not sit in that seat?" The music began, and I sung,

"I saved a chair for my dad, in the fourth row on the aisle. And it may take him a while, but when he gets here, that's his chair. Cause my mother's in an ashram in India. I saved a chair for her too, but it's merely symbolic. As daily she cleanses herself in the Ganges." 

I noticed Ryan smiling at me as I started the next verse. 

When it was over, Ryan shut off the track and started a roar of applause from the cast. I blushed, and Ryan said, "Let's stop there for this song. Elle, come up on stage with me for a second. Jessica, switch the track to The I Love You Song."

"Wait, where are we starting?" Jessica asked, and Ryan said, "Start where Olive says 'I wrote you a letter...'" 

Jessica played on Ryan's phone for a bit, flashed a thumbs-up, and music started to play. Elle and Ryan were following along.

"I wrote you a letter how I found the spelling bee such fun. Mama, Mama, Mama! But you didn't react. And you never asked me if I'd join you in the Bombay sun. Mama, Mama, Mama! I had quietly packed."

Elle looked at me and smiled. I was so in-character that I was almost about to cry.

"When are you returning? I know we agreed. Tell me what you're learning, Ma, I have, Oh God, this need!"

I realized what was coming. Katie gave me a smile from the audience.

"I think Dad is angry Ma! And I do not know what to do. Mama, Mama, Mama! Shanti, shanti, and om. I think he takes out on me what he wants to take out on you. Mama, Mama, Mama!" I yelled, holding out the high note. Jessica looked at me in awe.

"How I wish you were home...how I wish you were home...how I wish you were, wish you were..." 

Elle and Ryan had a verse together, which gave me some time to regroup after that powerful verse. Once they were done, I sung, "Mama, I love you! I love you! I love you!"

Elle and Ryan sung, "I love everything about you, baby" while I yelled, "Mama! Mama!"

Finally, the track stopped, and I said in between tears, "Chimerical. C-H-I-M-E-R-I-C-A-L. Highly unrealistic. Wildly fanciful." I was waiting for the next line, and then Barrett finally said, "That is correct." 

"I love you." the three of us sung at the same time. The song ended, and there was a massive round of applause from the cast members in the audience. "Any constructive criticism?" Ryan asked, putting his arm around my shoulders.

Katie raised her hand, and said, "I was completely blown away by that, Catlynn, you're an amazing performer. But don't hold out that high note in the I Love You Song so much, you're going to strain your voice." I nodded, and Barrett said, "I agree with Katie. I have a question, were you just in character during the I Love You Song or did you just apply it to your own life?" I sighed, and said, "A little of both." 

Jessica raised her hand, and said, "You're an incredible little actress, Cat. I have no doubt you're going to get that role. Practice a bit tonight, and we'll really get down to business on those songs and the script tomorrow." 

I stepped down off the stage, and I was immediately attacked in a hug by Jessica. "I had no idea you could sing with so much emotion!" 

Evan came out from behind her and said, "I had no idea she could sing!" Jessica slapped him, and said, "We can't wait to see it again tomorrow." Elle hugged me as well, and said, "You're a great Olive, Sunshine." 

I smiled, and then realized that the swelling had gone down in my leg. "Hey, my leg's better!"

Elle laughed, and said, "Just take it easy for a day or two. We'll do Second with you as Olive on Friday." 

I nodded, and Ryan gave me a piggyback ride back to the room I used for school. I sat down and studied the script, hard. 

"You do know theater isn't the real top priority right now?" Ryan asked.

"I know. But school can wait."

Ryan laughed and hugged me before leaving.

AN: I am so excited for you guys to see Second! That will be in the next chapter. You guys should listen to Spelling Bee, it's such a good show. Also, thanks for 400 reads and 70 votes! Hope you enjoyed, catch ya later!