You're Planning Your Future, Catlynn McLemore

"Surgery day, Sunshine!" Elle whispered in my ear, shaking me awake.

"Don't remind me." I complained. Elle smiled and kissed my head. "Aw. I know you're nervous for today." I sighed and looked down at my knee. I was getting knee surgery for the second time this month.

"I'm not just nervous, Mommy. I'm terrified." I said. Elle hugged me and said, "I know."

"I want Katie to be there." I complained. I didn't want to make Elle feel bad, but I hoped she would understand.

"Katie who?" I heard from the door. To my surprise, Katie was leaning on the doorway, smiling. I threw myself in her arms and Elle pulled me back. "Cat! Your knee!"

"She's getting it fixed anyway!" Katie said, hugging me tight. I laughed and giggled.

I got an idea. I usually never show anyone this video, because it was a big fat secret. I was the Vice President of the Student Council at my old private school when I was in sixth grade, and my dad had no idea. But Elle and Katie deserved to know.

"Hey, do you guys wanna quickly see a video of me in sixth grade?" I asked, pulling out my laptop. Katie and Elle nodded and I got the video pulled up.

And there it was, sixth grade me. Auburn hair in 2 French braids, blue tie, collared shirt, blue plaid skirt. Holding a microphone and looking like the happiest person alive.

"Hi, I'm Catlynn Reeve, the Class of 2020 Student Council Vice President." the Catlynn on the video said. Katie laughed and said, "You looked so different back then!"

"I'm asking everyone to buy tickets to the Middle School Social, this Friday after school in the cafeteria. All the money will go to funding the extracurricular activities for this school year, including the music and theatre program. Hope to see everyone there. Catlynn Reeve, signing off!" Then the video ended.

"I didn't know you were a part of student government!" Katie said. "You seemed like a good leader."

"I had a lisp back then." I said. "I still do. Anyway, when do we have to go?"

"In 5 minutes, Sunshine. Are you ready?" Elle asked, grabbing my hospital bag. I smiled and nodded, and then we went off.

______

"I can't do this, Katie. I'm sorry." I said to Katie in the waiting room while Elle was filling out some forms. Katie sighed and hugged me. "I know you're nervous. Hey, let's play a game together!"

"I'm not really in the mood...I said, not wanting anything to do with games and stuff. I just wanted to go home.

"Oh. Understandable." Katie said, reaching over for my hand. I grabbed Katie's hand and she squeezed it.

"Catlynn McLemore?" the nurse asked. I hid behind Katie, who picked me up. "Come on, Sunshine. The surgery won't take that long."

"Are you sure?" I asked, holding onto Katie for dear life.

"I'm positive. As soon as you fall asleep, you'll be awake before you can even count to three. And when you wake up, Elle and I will be there." Katie said.

"What if I go in a coma again Katie?" I asked. Katie froze up and stared into space for a few seconds and then said, "Sorry. You won't go into a coma, Sunshine. I promise."

I sighed, and Elle dragged me and Katie to a little room. I sat down on the bed and I squeezed Katie's hand. 

"Sunshine, baby, they're just checking your heartbeat and stuff." Katie said. "No needles, at least for now."

"I don't want to get an IV though..." I said, crying. Katie kissed the side of my head and said, "I know. But I brought an ice pack with me!" Katie handed me a disposable ice pack and I sighed, leaning against her. "I'm really scared..." I said, crying. 

"I'll be right here when you go to sleep, Sunshine, and so will Elle." Katie reassured me. I sighed and started crying into Katie's shoulder. Katie started softly counting in my ear so Elle couldn't hear what she was saying. 

"Baby girl...you need to stay awake for just a bit longer...just so the doctors can check up on you..." Elle said softly. I sighed and sat up, clinging to Katie. 

Twenty minutes later, I was in the OR about to go to sleep. I was squeezing Elle's hand and Katie was stroking my hair. I started sobbing and Katie pressed the ice pack on my arm. It felt a little cold, but I didn't let it bother me.

"There we go, Sunshine. At least your arm is a little numb for the IV." Katie said. I sighed and squeezed Elle's hand tighter. 

I saw tears line Katie's eyes as she started singing Solla Sollew to me as the anesthesia went in. I was fighting for my eyes to stay open, but it didn't work. The medicine was too strong.

I was so scared that I would go in a coma.

But eventually, sleep took over my body.

________________________________________________________________________________

Katie's POV

"You did it. She's asleep." Elle said softly to me. She dropped Cat's hand and I kissed Cat's nose. 

"I'm scared." I said. Elle sighed and said, "She'll be okay. She's a strong girl." I nodded, but I didn't totally believe it.

No one expected her to go in a coma. When I sung her to sleep that fateful day, I had no clue that she would wake up 4 days later and be put on life support. No one expected us to be told to say goodbye to her. I'm just forever grateful she woke up.

I'm just terrified I'll have to go through that again. 

"Katie? Are you okay?" Elle asked as tears lined my eyes. I silently nodded, which was a total lie.

As the minutes ticked by, I couldn't handle the fear. I was assuming the worst with every passing second.

So I did what my sweet Catlynn McLemore would do, and I ran to the bathroom, crying. 

AN: YOU GOT YOUR SURGERY. That's good, I guess. The next chapters may be happier, or not, I have no clue. Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!