Wanna Fight For Me?

"Sunshine!" I heard, and the door banged open. I shot awake and I was in Elle's arms. Elle was holding me close to her chest and rubbing my back. I burst into tears.

"What's wrong? Did you have a nightmare?" I nodded, and Elle said, "What happened?"

"I died. My dad killed me!" I buried myself in Elle's chest and she said, "Ssh...it was just in your head...I'm right here...you're safe." Elle kept me close to her chest and said, "Remember, deep breath in...let it out. Good girl." She stroked my hair and started singing Kindergarten Boyfriend.

It was just a dream.

________

I shot awake again, and I was still in Elle's arms. She had fallen asleep. I guess I didn't scream, or else she would've woken up.

Elle woke up and noticed me shaking. She held me tightly and said, "Oh, Sunshine...another nightmare?" I crawled into Elle's arms and put my head on her chest, feeling it rise and fall with her breath. Elle kissed my hair and said, "I won't let anything happen to you, you know that, right Sunshine?" I nodded, and Elle said, "Good." and rocked me back to sleep.

For once, I was nightmare-free.

_________

"Sunshine...your phone's ringing..." Elle said sleepily. I picked up my phone and it was a number I didn't know.

"Hello Catherine." the voice on the other line said coldly.

It was my dad.

I immediately put the phone on speaker and said, "Hi Dad. Why do I have the pleasure of talking to you today?" My dad laughed and said, "You think you can insult me...well, you can't. I'm taking you back."

"No...no..." I heard Elle say from behind me.

"I'm getting adopted! I have a family!" I said. I was on the verge of tears. "And you can't take me back! You're arrested!" Elle hugged me from behind, letting me know she was there.

"Not anymore. I got out of jail once I said I was a single father with kids. Which is true." he said.

"One of your kids is getting adopted by people who actually love her!" I said. "Your second kid beat me up, and your third kid ran away with your now dead wife! You don't have kids anymore. They all knew this was coming." I said.

"Well, I'm taking you back, Catherine, and there's nothing you can do about it." My dad hung up.

"I can't believe it." I said.

"Listen...you're going to be legally mine on your birthday. Your dad can't touch you now." Elle said. I started to cry, and said, "My dad is tough. He's going to rip us apart, trust me."

Elle sighed, and said, "Want to go get breakfast? It's Saturday. I'll have Jessica and Katie meet us." I nodded, and Elle left so I could get dressed. I got dressed in a cute red T-shirt and jeans, grabbed my phone, and headed out.

At the diner, we all shared a giant plate of pancakes. Elle poured maple syrup on hers and passed the syrup around the table. Jessica practically poured the whole bottle on her pancakes.

"Ew." I laughed. "You like it that sweet?" I asked as I buttered my pancakes.

"Catlynn's gonna be a food critic when she gets older." Katie said, laughing.

"I'll stick with writer and actor." I said. "I've never liked musicals before I met you. Now I want to be in them." Jessica smiled, and said, "Do you want to try out for a community theater show? We could help you prepare."

I smiled, and said, "I'd like that." Elle sighed, and said, "Um...Catlynn got a call from her dad today. He's going to try and take her back." Jessica and Katie gasped and said, "No..." at the same time.

I was anxiously fiddling with my shirt, and Jessica put her hand on my leg. "We're going to fight for you. And we're going to win." she said.

"How do you know?" I asked. Elle said, "We all love you. It's 8 against 1. He doesn't stand a chance."

"Yeah, but he has the blood. You have the adoption papers. Blood wins against love in this case." I said.

Katie sighed, and said, "Listen, we love you more than anything in the world. Would we let your abusive monster of a father win? No. Not at all."

"Well, then, I guess we're fighting." Elle said.

"Listen." I said. "My dad hates you guys. And he lies all the time to get his way." Jessica reached over and tapped my cast. "There's a big piece of evidence right there." she said.

"We can't prove he did it." I said. Elle said, "Were there video cameras in that staircase?"

"No, sadly." I said. "I guess I better say goodbye to you guys. You've all been so nice to me." I got up and hugged Jessica.

"No." Jessica said, pulling me off of her. "We are not saying goodbye. You're stuck with us, kid."

"Not if my dad has anything to say about it." I said.

"Listen. We're going to fight for you. We always will. You never have to fight anything alone anymore." Elle said. "Now, eat your pancakes. We have a busy day."

"What are you guys scheming?" I asked, laughing.

Elle looked at Jessica and kicked her. "Nothing." Jessica said.

"Mmm-hmm." I said, laughing. Elle paid the check and we left the diner.

AN: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR GETTING THIS BOOK TO 300 READS I'M GLAD YOU GUYS LIKE IT AS MUCH AS I DO! Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!