Welcome to My School, This Ain't No High School

"Catlynn..." Elle said, tickling my feet to wake me up. I woke up and started giggling furiously. "What? It's 6AM on a Monday..." I said, rolling back over into my pillows.

"Guess what?" Elle said, smiling.

"What?" I said. Judging by Elle's expression, this was probably good news. But I wasn't sure.

"You got into charter school. Your first day is tomorrow." Elle said. I squealed and hugged Elle tightly.

I quickly pulled out my phone and texted Angus.

Cat: Guess who got into Jackson Charter School?
Angus: Catlynn McLemore did! We're pumped to have you. I already cleared a seat for you at lunch. When are you coming?
Cat: First day's tomorrow!
Angus: Sweet! See ya then!

My smile was a mile wide. I finally had a fresh start.

"Elle? Does everyone else know? Like the rest of the cast?" I asked.

"Yep! I told them already! Now let's go!" Elle said, dragging me out of bed.

________

The next day, I was a ball of nerves. Elle's car was pulled up in front of my new school, and kids were piling out of cars. I took a deep breath and Elle turned towards me.

"You're gonna do great, Sunshine." Elle said. I got out of the car and ran to the front entrance, keeping an eye out for Angus.

"Hey! Are you new! Haven't seen you before. I'm Ebony!" a girl said, extending her hand. I shook her hand and said, "My name is Cat. And yes, I am new. My friend goes here and I'm just looking for him, so it won't be so awkward."

"Ooh! A boyfriend?" Ebony said. I giggled slightly and said, "No. Angus Peters."

"Oh! The nice jock! Him and Grayson Thomas always hang out all the time." Ebony said. "They're in history with me. Anyway, I really like musicals. Do you like musicals?"

"Yeah. Heathers." I said softly. Not another Violet Gardner...

"Really? No way! That's my favorite!" Ebony said.

Phew. She didn't mention the crash.

"This school is severely lacking in theater kids. By the way, what school did you come from?" Ebony chirped.

"Hamilton Middle School." I said. Ebony groaned and said, "I went there last year. It was horrible." She pulled out a flute and I froze in fear.

"Y-you play flute?" I asked. Ebony laughed and said, "Yeah! The flute players at Hamilton suck. Do you play an instrument?"

"Saxophone." I said, before someone tapped me on the shoulder.

"Yo! Cat!" Grayson said, bolting down the hall. Angus was right behind him. I gave them both hugs and said, "I made a friend."

"I see you met Ebony. The nerdy girl in our history class. You're in Period 5 history, right?" Angus said, and I nodded.

"Well, let's go off to band!" Ebony said to me.

"You never told me Cat's a band nerd!" Grayson said. I laughed. "I'm a percussionist."

"Saxophone." I said softly.

"Aw, heck yeah! We need a saxophone! You're our first!" Grayson said. Ebony and Grayson started doing a victory dance of some sort. I started to laugh. Maybe this school wouldn't be as bad as Hamilton.

__________

"Everyone! Meet our new student. Catlynn, tell the class about yourself." the band director said.

"Um, hi. My name is Catlynn, but you guys can call me Cat. I like acting, doing ballet, playing saxophone, and hanging out with my family." I said shyly.

"You're a ballet dancer? I never knew!" Angus said. Ebony chuckled. A girl in the trombone section tapped me on the shoulder when I sat back down.

"I'm Vera!" the girl said. I said, "Cat. I like your name."

I suddenly felt homesick. I needed Red, Axel, and Cesca. I ran out of the band room and went to the bathroom.

"Is she okay?" I heard Vera say.

"She gets anxious sometimes. She's been through a lot." I heard Angus say.

I hid in a stall and called Elle.

"M-Mommy?" I asked once she picked up the phone.

"Yes, Sunshine?" Elle asked.

"I miss my friends..." I said.

"I know you miss your friends. How about you invite them over after school? Would that help?" Elle said.

"Kind of. But bands not as fun anymore." I said. "Not without Red or Cesca or Axel."

"I know, Sunshine. But are the kids nice?" Elle asked.

"Yeah. They're super nice. I just miss my friends, okay?" I started to cry.

"I know this is hard. Look, if it doesn't work out, we can always enroll you back into Hamilton." Elle said.

I sighed. The bell rang.

"I want to go home." I said.

"Can you at least give your new school a day?" Elle said.  I sighed and said "No."

"Please try? We can keep you home tomorrow if it makes you feel better." Elle said.

"Fine." I said. I hung up and walked to history.

_______

"Guys! The schools hosting Karaoke Night on Friday! You guys should do a performance!" Vera said, tugging on her backpack.

"I might." I said.

"You should, Cat!" Ebony said. Angus nodded in approval.

"Oh! Cat! There's a guy in our grade who only sings the theme song to kids cartoons for these kinds of things. And he makes fun of them. It's hilarious." Grayson said.

I saw Elle's car pull up and I got in.

"Hey, Sunshine! How was your first day?" Elle said.

"Good." I said.

"I'm glad it was good. Did you text Red, Axel, and Cesca yet?" Elle asked.

"Yep! They're gonna be at the house in 30 minutes!" I said. Elle cheered and I told her all about my day, from beginning to end.

Maybe being the new girl won't be so bad.

AN: I thought I should've included a flute player that wasn't a jerk. Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!