Emma and her Grandma

Betsy Nolan had been waiting anxiously for hours for her grandchild to be born when people say babies chose when they want to come into the world they are so right No one really though it would happen for another week but soon before you konw it her son calls her and tells her Ann's water broke. 

So now there here. Betsy is kind of glad the baby had wanted to come today she could use some good news her husband Bob had passed away four months ago, stage 4 lung cancer oh lord did she miss that man, he was the kindest soul she had ever known. 

the next thing she knew she had fallen asleep then she wasn't sure how long it had been but someone nudged her gently awake

she opened her eyes it was her son, Brandon. "Hi Mom" 

"is Ann ok? is everything- 

"Ann's fine mom there both doing great" 

Brandon and Betsy came into the room Ann was sitting up in the hospital bed she looked exhausted but she was smiling at the little bundle in her arms. 

"Hi Betsy." 

Betsy smiled "hi, how did everything go?" 

"it was exhausting but wroth it, she makes it wroth it" 

Betsy smiled "she?' 

"it's a girl" Brandon said "what's her name?" Betsy asked "Emma." Brandon replied "Emma Grace Nolan" 

"you can hold her if you want too" Ann said "I would love too" Betsy came over to the side of the bed Ann carefully handed the baby to Betsy "Emma this is your Nan" 

Betsy smiled at her new granddaughter Emma's tiny hand grabbed her finger. "hi baby girl" 

SIX YEARS LATER..

"Are you sure your ok with watching her for a few hours?" Ann asked Betsy smiled "of course! I love having her here" 

"i'm sorry this is so last minute, one of the main nurses got sick so they want me to pick up her shift" 

"it's no trouble at all" 

Ann smiled "your a lifesaver, ok Emma Mommy has to go to work for a little while but in the meantime you get to stay here and play with Nan ok?" 

"Ok mommy"  Ann bent down and gave her a hug "I love you" 

"I love you too" 

Soon Emma's mom left and it was just her and Nan. The six year old looked at her and said "can we have cookies?"  With Emma's mom being a nurse there was never really any treats around the house except for the holidays and Emma knew well enough by now that if she went to her Nan's house there where always treats around.    

Nan smiled "yes, we can have cookies" 

"yay!"   

A bit later Emma and Betsy were drawing pictures at the table. "how's first grade going so far baby girl?" 

Emma shrugged and looked at the paper in front of her. "Mommy made me wear a dress on the first day i hate dresses" 

"are you making any friends?" Emma shook her head "the other kids don't like me" 

"i'm sure that's not true, everybody likes you your a sweet girl" 

Emma said nothing and kept coloring. "give it time honey, it's only your first week i'm sure you'll make some friends" 

Emma wasn't so sure, she was only six years old but she could tell she was different from the other girls they wore dresses, Emma liked flannel tops and jeans also she was really the only one who wore her hair really short and her glasses, she just got them had really thick lenses witch gave her owl eyes