first feeding

the transition home for Isabel was harder then both of them had thought it would be, being in the hospital one night then moving somewhere different the next confused Isabel so she was up all night the day they brought her home. 

so both of them had been losing sleep while also trying to navigate parenthood but that wasn't the only problem..

"just try it again" Emma sighed "that's what you said the last five times I tried to do this" 

"are you sure you have enough- "yes. my breasts are still full I can feel it" Emma snapped 

"i'm sorry I just..she hasn't eaten in two days.. she's so small as it is.. i'm worried about her" 

for some reason Isabel refused to breastfeed Alyssa thought it would only be for a hour or two maybe a day at best but now it had been two days they were both very worried. 

"we can try again in two hours- "Alyssa" Emma sighed "then if it doesn't work we could try the formula" Emma thought it over "ok. i'm out of ideas that sounds like it could work" 

Emma tried to calm Isabel down "she's so upset I don't konw why" "I can take her" Alyssa gently picked up Isabel Emma buttoned up her blouse. "hey. It's ok baby girl" Alyssa slowly rocked her in her arms. 

It took about ten minutes Alyssa calmed her down and Isabel fell asleep. Alyssa slowly got up and walked over to the nursery gently putting her in the bassinet. "sleep tight I love you" Alyssa said softly

Alyssa climbed into bed with Emma who was still awake. "how did you do that?" "Do what?" Alyssa asked "it takes me forever to calm her down when she gets fussy. That took you ten minutes" 

Alyssa laughed "Emma I barely konw what i'm doing. I konw as much as you. Were both new at this" 

"your such a natural at this though. I think she likes you better then she likes me" 

Alyssa turned to face Emma "Emma.. you carried her for eight mouths, you were the one that got to hold her first, the first person she saw when she opened her eyes for the first time was you. Besides she likes you just as much as she likes me" 

"yeah but your the one who always calms her down." Emma added "so if her favorite is you I wouldn't be surprised" Alyssa rolled her eyes "your my favorite too" Emma said 

"I love it when you talk like that" Alyssa said kissing her 

They both fell asleep nestled like spoons for a few hours. Alyssa and Emma woke up to her daughter crying "your turn" Emma said tiredly. Alyssa rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and got up to check on her daughter. 

Alyssa lifted her daughter out of the bassinet. "what's wrong?" Alyssa sat down in the rocking chair trying to soothe her. "Shh." 

a half an hour passed Isabel was still upset the crying only got lounder. "hey it's ok" Alyssa thought for a moment "you want to go see mama?" Alyssa carried Isabel over to their room. 

Emma opened her eyes as the crying got louder she sat up seeing her partner with their daughter who was crying her eyes out. 

"there she is, there's mama" Alyssa gave the squirming baby to Emma Alyssa sat down on the bed beside her. "I ran out of ideas. Nothing was working" Alyssa checked her phone "Em. It's been two hours" 

Emma was bouncing the baby in her arms trying to calm her down "do you think it will work?" 

"we have to try" Emma unbuttoned her blouse bringing Isabel close to her chest.    Emma put a cover on her chest thinking it might help clam Isabel down. It made it worse she started screaming. 

"it's ok. it's ok baby" Emma said in a soft voice trying to calm her Emma sat back relaxing. "it's just you and me" Emma took a breath and let it out slowly trying not to freak out as the baby kept crying. 

"you want to try eating?" Emma closed her eyes "it's ok little lady we got this" it took a few minutes but the crying was replaced by sucking sounds as the baby began to eat. 

Emma nudged her partner awake. "Alyssa" Alyssa woke up "Look at that" Alyssa whispered smiling leaning her head on Emma's shoulder. Emma smiled "you got it. good job baby girl" 

after a few minutes she was finished. Emma handed Isabel to Alyssa as she buttoned up her blouse. She was quite for a few minutes then began to whimper. "I think she needs to burp" 

Alyssa said "right. I forgot about that. Do you konw where the burp cloths are?" 

"there in the nursery. I'll be right back" Alyssa passed the baby to Emma before getting up. 

Alyssa returned with a burp cloth sitting on the bed next to Emma. Emma  picked up Isabel and put her on her shoulder gently patting her on the back. 

after a few minutes she burped there was a huge amount of spit up on the burp cloth. "She ate a little too fast huh?" Alyssa asked holding her in her arms. "I guess so" Emma said "but she did it" 

"she did" Alyssa said smiling