just hold me

Emma Nolan was 16 years old she was your typical teenager Awkward, shy, she loves music but there was on thing about her that wasn't so normal. 

Emma Nolan is gay.   She knew that, for years actually.  She wanted to tell her parents it felt awful to keep this from them but she was scared. 

so for years she kept at it acting like she was into boys, until now it was too much for her to take she couldn't keep herself in the closet any more. 

all the feelings inside her it was like being tossed in a raging ocean to the point of drowning like she needs to come up for air but everything in her life keeps pulling her down, trapping her in a cold black unforgiving ocean. 

She feels that all the time now like she can't breathe and has to be careful what not to say to her very Christian parents because she doesn't want to upset them. 

So that day Emma desired to come out to her parents. they had just finished dinner when Emma spoke up "can I tell you both something?" 

They both looked at Emma. "Of course sweetie" Mr. Nolan said "you can tell us anything" Mrs. Nolan said 

Emma took a deep breath her palms were sweaty and her left leg was shaking. "um ok I just want to say that I love you both and this is not because of you at all, it's me" 

Emma took another deep breath her voice was shaking "I've known this for a long time now ever since I was a kid" Emma paused "what i'm trying to say is i'm gay. I like girls I always have" 

Emma looked at her parents they looked shocked and really angry. "we didn't raise you to turn out like this" Mrs. Nolan said angrily. 

"this wasn't my choice, no one just desides to be gay" Emma said 

"Not under my roof your not!" Mr. Nolan shouted "if you want to choose this lifestyle then fine, but your not going to be staying here to do it" 

Emma felt like all the air in her body was gone. "what?" she said softly

"you have an hour to pack your bags" Mrs. Nolan said sternly 

Emma was in shock. This was real they were kicking her out just because she happened to be gay. 

Emma got up from the table saying nothing and trying not to cry. She went in her room pulled out a huge suitcase and began to pack her things. 

An hour later she had packed everything up her bedroom was bare, she left nothing behind. 

Emma's parents had agreed to let her stay with her Nan. That was the good part Nan was fine with Emma being gay in fact she was happy about it. 

Emma got out of the car with the suitcase her backpack and her guitar case. heading up her Nan's driveway without looking back at her parents. 

Her Nan opened the door and let Emma inside it was pouring rain out. Emma gave her a long hug. " oh sweetie" Nan hugged her back. 

  Nan lead Emma to a room. The walls were a soft green. "I made this room up for you" 

Nan said "it's very green" Emma said looking in the room. "If you want we could get it repainted" Nan suggested 

"no it's ok, I like it" Emma said putting her stuff down by the bed. "it's perfect"

"i'm glad you like it" Nan said smiling "honey if you ever want to talk about anything you can talk to me" 

Emma smiled "thank you Nan but I think I want to be alone for now" 

"ok i'm here whenever you need me" Nan said smiling. 

Emma sat on the bed, thinking She should have felt some relief after coming out like taking a big gulp of air after holding your breath. She just felt numb.. and broken. 

Emma picked up her phone from her suitcase and called the one person besides Nan who would understand. 

"Emma?" Alyssa's voice. "hey sorry for calling so late" Emma said her voice shaking "I just really need to talk to you.. can you come over?" 

"i'll be right over where are you?" Alyssa asked "at my Nan's house" 

"ok see you soon" the conversation ended. Emma was on her back looking at the ceiling of her new room. She sighed "note to self.. don't be gay in Indiana" 

about 15 mins later Alyssa was at the door. "Alyssa! what a nice surprise" Nan said smiling "come on in" 

"thanks for having me on such short notice" Alyssa said stepping inside "of course! it's not a problem at all" 

"Emma's room is down the hall on your right" Nan said "she's going to be thrilled that your here. she would kill me for saying this but she's crazy about you. She talks about you all the time" 

Alyssa felt blood rush to her checks. "she does?" Alyssa and Emma had only known each other for less then a year they were just friends.. right? 

Alyssa knows she likes girls and Emma.. Emma was the best person in her life she was so kind and fun and she was very cute. But Alyssa would never say that out loud.. at least not yet. 

Alyssa opened the door to Emma's room. Emma sat up and looked at Alyssa. "you came" 

Alyssa looked at the floor there was a huge suitcase and all of Emma's things on the floor. 

Alyssa sat down on the bed. "Emma.. what's going on?" Alyssa asked concerned 

"you remember when I told you I was gay right?" Alyssa nodded "well keeping it inside all these years it was just too much, I came out to my parents" 

"how did it go?" Emma took a deep breath "they kicked me out" Emma was crying now big chest heaving sobs "I had an hour to pack and that was it.. they couldn't even look at me" 

Alyssa felt her blood turn to ice, not just for Emma but what if the same thing happened if she came out to her mom? Alyssa desided it was safer just to say in the closet for now. 

"oh Emma.. im so sorry" Alyssa said "what do you want me to do?" 

"I just want you to hold me" Emma whispered 

"ok" Emma lied down on her side Alyssa lied down next to her wrapping her arms around her best friend. Emma was still crying Alyssa felt her chest heaving. "it's ok." Alyssa whispered trying to sooth her  "its all going to be ok" 

"you konw the good thing about this?" Emma said nothing "I can tell you something i've been wanting to for a long time" 

Emma turned and looked at her "what is it?" 

"Emma i'm gay" Emma smiled through her tears  "really?" 

Alyssa started crying "yeah, I am" Emma smiled "awesome" 

Alyssa smiled Emma laughed. "well look at us two lesbians cuddling" 

"yeah look at us" Alyssa smiled "my brave sweet Emma" 

They said nothing for a while just listening to the rain. Emma broke the silence 

"Alyssa?" "hm?" "thank you" "anytime Emma, anytime" 

just barely a whisper. "I love you" 

"I love you too" Alyssa had no idea if she meant in a friend way or in a romantic way but ether way it was a start. 

So they lied there cuddled together hearing the rain fall knowing that even if there worlds fall apart they would always have each other,