Emma's Parents

Emma sat up she was lying on the couch Alyssa was giving her a back rub. "mm. this feels so good thank you" Emma said "no problem. How are you feeling?" "tired" Emma replied 

  "besides that, i'm fine" Alyssa thought for a moment "Hey do you think we should tell your parents?" 

Emma laughed. "oh you're serious. I haven't seen them in a long time... i'm not sure it would go well. I want them to konw but... I don't konw anymore" 

"doesn't your grandma live a block away from them?" Emma sighed "yes she does" 

"So it would be really easy to visit them your grandma could come too, like a family get together" Alyssa added 

"it would be nice to get some sort of closure" Emma said to herself "I guess we can see what happens" 

A few weeks later Emma and Alyssa were walking up there driveway. "Are you sure about this?" Emma asked her partner. 

"no" Alyssa "Whatever happens in there you have me" Alyssa gave her hand a squeeze before ringing the doorbell.

Emma's parents opened the door they were in their mid forties. "Emma?" Mr. Nolan asked confused "what a surprise"  Mrs. Nolan said "come in" 

Emma and Alyssa came in. "Mom, Dad you remember Alyssa" they looked at her with blank stares  

"right Alyssa" Mr. Nolan shook hands with her  they moved to the couch where Emma's grandma was sitting. "Emma! oh it's so good to see you both again" She said giving them both hugs "it's good to see you too Nan" Emma said smiling 

They all sat down on the couch. "we didn't expect to see you it's been so long" Mrs. Nolan said "I would have visited more often if you had wanted to see me" 

there was an awkward pause Alyssa broke the silence "so the reason we wanted to visit you is Emma got some amazing news" Emma took of her sweatshirt to reveal her swollen belly. "I'm pregnant" 

"that's amazing" Mr. Nolan said "who's the father?" Mrs. Nolan asked Emma and Alyssa looked at each other exchanging worried looks. 

"Alyssa's my partner" Emma said taking her hand " uh..you see..we used a sperm donor"   

there smiles faltered, Emma's grandma looked worried even the baby stopped moving as if aware of the silence. 

"Look we konw you think you like girls it's probably just a phase" Mr. Nolan said 

Emma stood her ground "Alyssa is my partner, my wife and she's going to be an amazing mom. She was there for me when you when no one else was" 

"were trying to help you, that's what parents do" Mrs. Nolan said frustrated

"What kind of parents kick their child out just because their gay" Emma fired back 

"you had better respect your mother young lady" Mr. Nolan said angry 

"you kicked me out when I needed you the most! I had no one that year except Nan. Still she was the only person who would accept me for who I was until I met Alyssa she changed my life in the best way possible. I came here today because I wanted to share the news with you, I wanted to see you, I thought you would be happy!" Emma said tears stinging her eyes "I guess we were both wrong" 

Emma's grandma came up to them. "how would you two like to come to my house for some tea?" 

"that sounds nice" Alyssa said holding Emma's hand walking out the door. 

A few minutes later they were at her Grandma's house sitting at a small wooden table. "here you go ladies" 

two streaming cups of hot tea were passed to them. "thank you Nan" "yes thank you" Alyssa said 

"some people just aren't so great. We just have to make the best of it" her Grandma said squeezing Emma's hand "i'm sorry about what happened back there. Their both really stubborn" 

"what you two have is beautiful don't let anyone tell you otherwise if they do there not worth your time it doesn't matter who you are love is love" 

later that night Emma and Alyssa had both gone home. "are you feeling ok?" Alyssa asked playing with Emma's hair. "I guess so" 

Alyssa got up off the couch. "dance with me" "Alyssa I really don't feel like- Alyssa cut her off " I just wanna dance with you let the whole world fade away and dance with you"  

  Emma sat up and got to her feet Alyssa grabbed her hand they began to slowly dance around the room. "Who cares what other people say? And when were though no one can convince us we were wrong"  Alyssa spun Emma around slowly. 

"all it takes is you "  "and me"  they looked into each others eyes "and a song"  

They kissed each other it was a long kiss. "I love you" Emma smiled "I love you too"