Teething

Alyssa had just started going back to work Isabel was now four mouths old. Alyssa stepped inside the house. Emma came up to her and kissed her. "how was work?" 

"oh you konw the usual, it's getting really busy now that it's spring" 

"wedding season?" Emma asked "wedding season" 

Alyssa sat down next to Emma. "how was she today?" 

"the good news is she's starting to get her first teeth" Emma said smiling 

"that's so great!" Alyssa said "I can't believe it she's growing up so fast" 

"so the bad news?" Alyssa asked "she's just been really fussy all day" 

as if on cue they hread crying from the baby monitor. Emma got up "i'll be right back" 

Emma came back a few seconds later with a crying Isabel  Emma had the baby on her shoulder and was gently rubbing her back trying to sooth her. "She's probably hungry" Emma said 

"I can take her" Alyssa said "you look exhausted" "thank you" Emma said grateful gently putting the baby in Alyssa's arms. 

Alyssa broke into a smile "there's my big girl" a few minutes later Emma sat down by Alyssa with a bottle in her hand. 

Alyssa took it from Emma and held it up to Isabel's lips. Isabel latched on and began to eat. 

"there we go. That feels much better doesn't it?" Alyssa smiled down at the baby Isabel looked up at her with her big brown eyes.  

Emma smiled at the two of them they both looked so content. 

after Isabel was fed and burped she fell back asleep they put in her in her bassinet. Emma and Alyssa had dinner and went to bed. 

about a half an hour later they woke up to Isabel's loud cries. Emma sat up "she's probably going to be like this the entire night" 

"we can take shifts" Alyssa said "I can take the first one" Emma said getting out of bed. 

they switched every two hours both of them did everything they could think of to try to calm her down but nothing was working. 

Emma was sitting with Isabel in the rocking chair trying to sooth her "it's ok baby I konw it hurts I konw" 

"it's ok" Isabel's crying only got louder Emma felt a pang in her cheat she hated seeing Isabel in so much pain. 

Emma racked her brain thinking sometimes babies like it when people sing to them  Emma thought to herself she was still really shy about singing expect to Alyssa or back in high school when she had her own YouTube channel just for singing. 

But she would do anything for her daughter. "it's ok. I'm right here, Mama's got you" 

Emma took a breath and started to sing softly "Some hearts can conform

Fitting the norm
Flaunting their love for all to see
I tried to change
Thinking how easy life could beI just kept on failing
I guess that was a sign
That there wasn't much hope
For this unruly heart of mineThen, you came along
And right or wrong
Feelings began to overflow
We had to hide
Thinking that no one else could knowAnd not having you near me
Was where I drew the line
So, I had to conceal

This poor, unruly heart of mine" Emma looked at Isabel who was sleeping in her arms. Emma smiled she looked so relaxed. 

Emma slowly got up and put her in her bassinet. "I love you so much baby girl" Emma whispered quietly shutting the door behind her. 

Alyssa was standing outside of the door frame. "how long where you standing there?" 

Emma asked amused Alyssa smiled "a while" 

"I can't believe she's asleep" Emma said as they got in bed. "you did a great job with her you always do" Alyssa said 

"so do you" Emma said Alyssa turned to look at Emma "hey remember when we were in high school I would call you late at night just because I missed the sound of your voice?" 

Emma smiled "I remember. You always wanted me to sing you to sleep" 

"and you did" 

"and I did" 

"even after you had gone to sleep we didn't hang up" Emma smiled remembering 

"we just wanted to be near each other so badly" Alyssa said kissing her Emma smiled and cupped her hands around her face. It was a nice long kiss. 

"I love you so much" Emma said "I love you too" Alyssa said she kissed her forehead "always"