how I met your mother

Alyssa Greene was about to have her girlfriend over. at her house that had never happened before. Alyssa was excited replaying the conversation with Emma the day before in her head.

"what if she hates me?" 

"she won't hate you Em" 

"Rosie, the last time I saw your mom she was declaring war over my person hood" 

"I don't konw.. what if she disproves of me? then what?  then we'll probably never see each other again and I'll die of loneliness.. and.." 

Emma felt the snake of panic in her belly twist, that's what she called it the snake her panic attacks. They would bite her out of nowhere leaving her just like a mouse after a snake poisoned it with it's bite. 

Helpless. 

Alyssa could tell Emma was having an attack. She grabbed her hand. "hey, hey look at me" Emma looked at her girlfriend tears in her eyes. "you are an amazing, wonderful person Emma Nolan and my mom is going to love you" 

"and if she doesn't?" 

Alyssa paused. that was the think that sacred her the most.  "then it's just you and me like it always has been, ok?" 

Emma hugged her. "ok." 

Alyssa heard the doorbell ring. She squealed and ran down the stairs to open the door. 

There she was, Emma. wearing the flannel and jeans combo she loved so much. "I didn't konw if I should dress up sooo.." 

Emma looked down awkwardly at her pair of worn out high tops. 

"you look great" Alyssa smiled she was wearing the yellow sundress that she had on their first date.

"your dress. Wow. You still have it" 

Alyssa smiled "it always brings me good luck" 

Emma stepped inside "ready for this?" 

"not at all" 

Alyssa kissed her on the lips."for luck" she explained Emma smiled and kissed her back. 

Emma heard someone clear their throat. it was Mrs. Greene. Startled the girls quickly pulled apart both there faces flushed red. 

oddly Mrs. Greene looked sightly amused. 

Emma was still blushing hard. "hi Mrs. Greene" 

"nice to see you Emma" 

soon they were eating dinner nothing too fancy just pasta and meatballs and salad. 

Mrs. Greene looked up from her plate at Emma. "So Emma Alyssa tells me your quite the gaiter player" 

Emma flushed "oh well, I dabble yeah my Nan got me this gaiter when i was 12 , my parents wanted me to take up piano so that shows you what they konw." Emma stopped thinking about her mom and dad

The snake twisted it's head. 

Emma pushed forward. "yeah I've been hooked ever sense, i sing- only sometimes i'm not very good" 

Alyssa smiled at her "don't sell yourself short your very talented" 

Emma looked in the corner into the living room. There was a gaiter. "did you used to play Mrs. Greene?" 

Alyssa looked at her with wide eyes warning Emma about some unseen danger. 

after a moment Mrs. Greene spoke "no. that was- that was my husbands" 

Emma looked down at her plate hot shame came in waves unto her body. "can you excuse me for a second?"   

Alyssa quickly followed her. 

Emma made it to the bathroom and threw up. 

"oh sweetie" Alyssa rubbed her back. "none of that was your fault you didn't konw" 

"your mom probably hates me now if she didn't already" Emma said wiping her mouth with toilet paper. 

Alyssa helped her stand up. 

"I'm sure that's not true" 

Alyssa and Emma sat on the sofa together Mrs. Greene sat down bedside them. A plan was forming in Alyssa's mind. "i'm going to go get Emma some aspirin" 

Emma gave her a look. Alyssa mouthed 'talk to her'  

Emma embarrassed and without thinking says "I may or may not have thrown up in your bathroom" 

"oh god, i didn't mean to say that! Sorry I just get so nervous.." 

"I used to get panic attacks all the time" Mrs. Greene said "public speaking, anywhere really" 

"really?" 

"oh yeah there's no need to be embarrassed" Mrs. Greene said 

"Sorry I konw I haven't made a very good first impression. I'm trying I just.. I don't konw" 

Mrs. Greene smiled "I think your doing just fine" 

Emma looked at her. "really?" 

Alyssa came back into the room. Emma held her hand. "I've seen the way you two act around each other, it's sweet. And Emma you don't have to worry about anything I think you two are perfect for each other" 

Emma smiled "thank you that means a lot"