Chapter 54

After a hour passes and the soup I had eaten fails to make a second appearance I'm told I can be discharged. So I settle into the bed knowing that when the hospital says you are being discharged what they really mean is yes you will be free to go, but we won't bring you the actual discharge papers for another few hours. Might as will be comfortable while waiting.

I was tempted to turn the TV on to have a show playing to create background noise because Dimitri refused to look at me let alone talk to me. Instead he sat in the chair next to my bed holding his head in his hands lost in thought. I even tried nudging him or engaging him in conversation. Nope nothing. Great start to mending our slightly broken relationship.

Apparently being the girlfriend of a famous rock star not only has the perks of getting a better room, but also a speedy discharge. Not more than ten minutes passed since I was told I could leave that a nurse zips in requesting my signature. When she comes in I picture Mr. McFeely saying "speedy delivery" which causes me to laugh and both the nurse and Dimitri to look at me as though I was nuts. I try to explain my thoughts, but stop when neither one is paying attention. They were to busy discussing the best way for us to exit the hospital.

They agree upon Dimitri and I using a back exit that was normally used for deliveries. I jokingly say they should put us in body bags and wheel us out, neither thought I was funny. Dimitri calls Frank and has someone from the hospital direct him where to meet us with the car. Once Frank is in position we are given the all clear.

"Is all of this secrecy and maneuvering really necessary?" I ask Dimitri sitting in the wheelchair as I'm being wheeled down the hall.

"Yes," he says curtly walking beside me. I huff in my seat. Wheeling me out in a wheelchair I get because that's every hospital's protocol, but everything else is ridicules and unnecessary. Then again Dimitri was right my life was no longer what it once was. He knows this world better than I do.

We come to the door and Dimitri opens it so the hospital staff member can wheel me out. Frank opens the door and I stand to my feet. Of course I trip over a crack in the concrete causing both Frank and Dimitri to jump to my rescue. I grip on to the door of the car to steady myself and wave them off. Thankfully no paparazzi saw my stumble don't need that making its way on to the internet. Bad enough my attack is everywhere. 

Dimitri takes my elbow anyways and guides me into the car. Since I'm to exhausted to scoot over, because who knew being wheeled though a hospital could use so much energy, Dimitri is forced to enter the back of the car from the other side. At first when he slides in he leaves as much space as he can between us. Hell no. I get he's trying to give me my space, but right now that's the last thing I want. The need to be close to him drives me to shift erasing the space between us.

At first when I rest my head on his shoulder he stiffens, but soon his muscles relax and he takes my hand. He draws random designs on the back of my hand then links our fingers. My eyes drift closed and I snuggle into his side forcing him to wrap his arm around me so I didn't squish it. A sigh of contentment escapes, but Dimitri mistakenly takes my sigh as being one of pain.

"Baby you okay," Dimitri frets unlinking out fingers to tip my chin so he can meet my eyes.

He's making it really hard to be mad at him. I subdued my emotions in the hospital because he was right no one needed to by privy to our personal lives. But now the only other person around us is Frank and I know for a fact he would never repeat what he hears. This would be the perfect place to confront Dimitri because he wouldn't be able to escape.

I want to blame my lack of anger on the pain pills making me to tired to do much of anything, but that's not completely true. There was already too much of people jumping to conclusions and having unnecessary fights. He may not have stuck to one of the rules, but I would. I gave my word and that means a lot to me. So we would talk and figure out together the next steps. I do know I'm not ready to walk away.