Chapter 5

As usual time got away from me at the barn and now I was in a rush to get ready for my date. As a check the time I wonder if I have enough time for a shower. The smell of horses doesn't bother me, but I'm not sure on his feeling about the topic. Sadly the clock tell me I don't have enough time. Guess if he wants to continue dating me he is going to have to get used to the smell anyways.

I use what time I do have to at lest change my clothing with the hopes that most of the smell leaves with my barn clothes. Without much thought on my appearance I hastily throw on a pair of jeans and the first shirt I can grab. I race in front of the mirror to check my appearance. Running my fingers through my hair will have to do. At lest I had straightened it earlier and the trip to the barn hadn't caused the natural curls to form. Quickly I apply some make up and once I'm satisfied with my appearance I leave the bathroom.

I check my phone to see if there were any messages waiting. Surprisingly Dimitri has been exceptionally quite. Probably has something to do with this date I'm going on. Should I try calling or texting him? Or will I just make things worse between us? Against my better judgement I call him. The phone rings a few times before he finally picks up.

"Hello," his voice sounds off like he's been drinking.

"Hey its me." Of course he knows I'm the one calling he could see my phone number when I called. "I just wanted to say hi and see how your day went."

"Now isn't a good time." Great back to pulling teeth.

From the back ground I hear a women's voice whine, "Dimitri come back to the hot tub."

"Sorry didn't realize you were busy. Just hadn't heard from you all day and was curious why." Before he can respond I add, "and now I know why."

"Skylar."

"Look you don't owe me any kind of explanation." I say in a rush wanting to get my words out before he could say something. "Who am I to judge you for your actions? Especially since I'm waiting for Keith to get here." Wanting to get off the phone influences my next action, "actually he's just pulled into the driveway. I'll catch you later." Before he can respond I hang the phone up and sense the tears building behind my eyes.

I will not cry over him. The sentence repeats in my head while I fight back the tears. Thankfully I'm able to gain control of my emotions. I take a deep shaky breathe and head down stairs. As I'm walking out the door I tell my parents I'm going out with a friend and I don't know when I'll be home. I have no desire to sit in the house because I need the openness of outside. The walls feel like they are suffocating me. With the decision made to wait for him outside I walk out the door.

I don't have to wait long because in no time he is pulling into the driveway. My phone vibrates in my pocket as I climb into the truck. Not being able to resist seeing who texted me I check and see it was Dimitri. Before I fall even more in to the rabbit hole I switch the phone off. I have nothing more to say to him right now. Plus I need to focus on the man in front of me. He's here and Dimitri is not. Instead he is in a hot tub with some skank.

I can't afford for my heart to be broken by him yet again. He has no idea how much he broke me the last time. How much pain I suffered. Shaking my head I clear my thoughts can focus on the present.

~*~

Keith kisses me good night as I'm about to leave the truck. He's not a bad a kisses and I'm sure if I invited him in he would say yes. But my mind isn't in the game and I want some time alone. Plus I've been fighting all night not to check the message from Dimitri, but I'm only so strong. And I don't want anyone to witness my fall out when I check the message because I'm pretty sure it's him tell me he's done with me.