Chapter 62

Leukemia. My brain shuts down the minute the words leave his mouth. I can't have Leukemia. Not now. When my life is starting to fall into place. How would we even make this work? Dimitri would leave for tour and I would be stuck here fighting this on my own. All alone since everyone I know who lives here would be on tour. I could always go back home I guess. 

Then again Dimitri will more than likely demand to postpone the tour, but I can't let him do that. Way to many people rely on him for a pay check. That wouldn't be fair to them. After hearing that word I wish I was pregnant instead.

"Skylar," I hear my name being called as though I'm in a tunnel. I fight my way though my jumbled thought to refocus on the doctor. "As I was explaining to your brother the best way to confirm if it is Leukemia or not is for you to see a blood specialist. I'll give you a list of the doctors we work with. Sadly with it being close to the weekend you probably won't be able to do much till next week."

All I can do is nod my head and feel Tray gripping onto my hand. I glance at his face to read what he might be thinking, but his face is completely blank. 

"I'm very sorry I wish I had better news, but like I said your symptoms are leading me to believe Leukemia. I hope I'm wrong. Please make that appointment with the blood specialist. The sooner this is caught the better."

"Thank you doctor," I stammer.

The doctor takes my other hand, "it was very nice to meet you Skylar. I wish you the best. Once you have made your appointment call the office here and we will send your file and the findings of the CAT scan to them. A nurse will be in shortly to being you the barium for you to drink and take you to where you can wait." He glances at Tray. "And since your brother his is the famous Tray Alard and your boyfriend is Dimitri Brandt I'll make sure they put you somewhere away from curious eyes."

He did recognize who we were, but remained professional through out the entire process. By my shocked expression he continues with a chuckle. "Just because I'm older doesn't mean I don't listen to rock. Steel Wolf happens to be one of my favorites. Like I said it was very nice to meet you. Just wish it was under different circumstances. Also don't worry about this being leaked to the public I changed the name on your file and made a note. So anyone flipping though wouldn't make the connection."

"Thank you so much doctor. That really means a lot to me." I tell him with the first smile I've had since he entered the room. 

He smiles and nods his head, "the nurse will be right back soon." He stands and shakes our hands before leaving the room. 

A defining silence falls between us. Neither one of us knowing what to say because there were no words that could make this better. The only person I wanted was Dimitri, but he didn't even know we were here. The guilt that had been eating at me since all of this started flares. I check my phone and see no messages from Dimitri. He must still be in the interview.

Since this CAT scan is going to take awhile I wonder what we are going to do. Dimitri is going to wonder why I'm out so late without taking one of his cars. He's also going to have a shit ton of questions when Tray drops me off. 

Tray steps away from me and sits in the chair lost in thought. I catch him wiping at his eyes. "Tray don't start crying or I will. When I finally crack there will be no stopping the tears."

He takes a deep breath, "I need a cigarettes," he says rubbing his hands over his face.

I tilt my head to the side, "but you don't smoke."

His hands slide down his face and says incredulously, "no I don't. But hearing news like that about your bestest best friend will make you do things you normally wouldn't do."