Chapter 4

The minutes on the clock change as I ponder how to respond. On one side Dimitri is a major part of my life and someone may not understand our relationship. But on the other we have no promises between us and I'm free to become involved with anyone I want to.

I bang my head on the steering wheel in frustration. An epiphany comes to me and I freeze. There is no way for me to completely know what Dimitri is doing himself. Sure we text every day and lately he has been calling me instead if going out. But I'm not speaking with him every second of the day and I'm diffidently not with him physically every day. So in the end there is no concrete evidence that he isn't entertaining other women. Yet, there isn't any evidence that he is. Sure I could ask him, but that topic has always been taboo between us. Some conversations evolved around the people we were dating, but neither one of us would go into details.

How would Dimitri react if I told him about the possibility of me becoming involved with Keith? Would he even care or care too much? Could this be the one action that pushes him away from me forever? Yet, Dimitri has made no move to pull me from the friends zone and I can't put my life on hold for him. I was going to do that once, but the entire experience blew up in my face. The broken heart I suffered is not an experience I care to repeat. I'm not sure my heart isn't strong enough.

I'm free. Let me know times and details.

A response! I was afraid I had scared you.

I'm not one to be easily scared. Was finishing up a phone conversation.

Shit why did I tell him that? There is no need or reason for him to know about my personal life. If I can keep my personal life away from the two of us maybe I'll be able to protect my heart as well.

Before he responds I drag myself inside and straight up into my room. Thankfully both my parents are already in bed. Not that they would have questioned me, but still it was better to not have to deal with all the questions.

I'm able to change out of my clothes and crawl into bed before Keith returns my text message.

No problem. I'm not your keeper. Just a guy hoping to eventually get into your pants.

Phew he didn't try to quiz me on who I was on the phone with. Trying to get in my pants is he? Good luck on that front. But I'm curious to see where this leads and I can get my pipes cleaned if I want too.

You really are honest. Good to know what I'm walking into.

See no reasons for there to be any surprises. In the past I've kept my cards close to my chest and figure might have better luck if I just lay them out on the table instead. This way there is no confusion.

Makes sense to me. Then I should tell you there is another guy in the picture.

I see. So is he going to try and kick my ass for talking to you?

No. We aren't at that level. In fact we aren't even dating. Figured since you were honest I should be as well.

Let me get this straight your just friends? Friends with benefits?

Just friends.

So why tell me then? Will this be a road block to me getting what I want?

No. He's just a huge part of my life. But it's not like you will run into him or anything. His job keeps him on the road and when he is home he's no where near here.

Then there isn't anything to worry about. I've enjoyed our conversation, but I do need to get some shut eye. You see I have this girl I'm hanging out with tonight.