Chapter 74

Getting myself organized for the move consumed a great deal of our time and before I knew it a couple of weeks had already passed. I had been lying to myself about not having that much to pack. Once the processes started I quickly realized there was more than I thought there was. Guess that happens when you have never had to move. Not only did I have my bedroom and bathroom there was all the boxes in the basement that I had to go through. As the packing went on the more I wished I had taken Dimitri up on his offer to higher movers to pack me as well, but I didn't like the idea of strangers going through my things.

We did take some breaks from packing to explore what Chicago has to offer. With Dimitri well being Dimitri we had to get creative with how we moved around. When I dragged him to my favorite museum, the Museum of Science and Industry, I had called ahead and scheduled with the museum to close early so we could go. We ended up meeting my friend Harper and her boyfriend Jack there. Our small group had a blast exploring the museum. Dimitri loved that everything was hands on and kept commenting on how guys needed to come here as well. 

Dimitri also finally had his first piece of Chicago style pizza. The second I learned he had never had it before I made the decision we were going to have some for dinner. With Dimitri stamp of approval I had invited Vanessa and Keith to join us. Vanessa agreed, but Keith declined saying he had a prior commitment. Since we wanted to have an enjoyable dinner without a three ring circus Vanessa picked up the pizza and brought it back to my parents house. We ended up dining on my parents deck. The entire time I had a nagging feeling something was off about Vanessa. 

When Dimitri went inside for a moment I turned to Vanessa. "Is there something on your mind?"

She glances off to the side for a moment gathering her thoughts. "Yes and no." Thankfully she continues explaining her confusing statement. "I'm worried about how you are going to react. I know you already gave me your approval to asking Keith out."

I reach out and lay my hand on top of hers. "Vanessa just tell me what's eating at you."

"Well...the other day he asked me to be his girlfriend," she looks down at her hands and refuses to meet my gaze. 

I burst out laughing. "Vanessa when I told you I didn't care about you asking him out I thought it was also implied that I was okay with you being his girlfriend."

After our conversation the atmosphere lightened and we continued to enjoy our evening. Even though Dimitri said he was okay with Keith being invited I could tell he was happy Keith declined the invitation. Maybe him seeing Vanessa and Keith being happy together he would change his mind about Keith. Who am I kidding. Dimitri will tolerate Keith when he has to, but won't go out of his way to befriend him. Not that I can blame him.

Dimitri and I were laying on my bed staring a room full of boxes. The packing was finally completed and all that was left was to actually move everything down south. The company Dimitri had hired was scheduled to arrive in a few days to load my belongings and bring them to Dimitri's condo. We were going to leave the day after to beat the truck. My parents were going to come for a visit in about a week giving us time to unpack. I had already decided to only unpack what I was going to need because soon we would be doing this all over again when we found a house. 

Dimitri was laying on his back and I was resting my head on his chest. He was playing with my hair and kept checking his phone. Just as I was about to ask him if everything was okay he asks me, "want to go riding?" 

His question stuns me for a moment. Sure we had been to the barn a handful of times, but each time we had went was because I had wanted to go. Never because he wanted to go. "Sure," I say more like that of a question.