Chapter 70

This chapter is dedicated to anyone who is currently living with or survived cancer or lost their battle. This is also dedicated to those who have a loved one who is currently fighting, fought and won or sadly lost their battle. My mother will be celebrating her three year anniversary of being cancer free in March! One of my closest friends mother just fought her battle and won recently. And another friends mom and sister are fighting still. If anyone would like to share their stories I'd love to read them. Please feel free to private message me if you don't want it public. Sending love and well wishes from here in freezing Illinois.

The lady on the phone continues to speak as though she knows I'm struggling with my words. "If you can get here in about an hour we can squeeze you in."

"Okay," I say softly.

"See you when you get here," she says and hangs up.

I remain in my seat not able to move. The sentence the doctor needs to see you playing over again and again in my head. Dimitri moves from his seat to kneel in front of me wiping at the tears streaming down my face. He keeps trying to get me to tell him what is wrong, but I can't seem to be able to stream words together to for a sentence. I sit there crying and staring at my phone. I know we need to get going, but I'm not ready to face what the doctor is about to tell me.

"Baby," Dimitri says more firmly drawing me from my thoughts. I turn blank eyes on him. Not really seeing him. He cups my face in his hands. "Can you please tell me what the phone call was about?" I could not only hear the worry in his voice, but also see it in his eyes.

"That was the doctor office," I say in a cracking voice. "They want to see me."

Dimitri glances off to the side, but not before I saw the tears in his blue depths. He too understands what this means. "When." 

"She said she can squeeze me today in about an hour." I suddenly feel cold to my bones and a shiver runs through me. All I want is for him to gather me in his arms and tell me everything is going to be okay.

Dimitri stands and turns away offering me his tense back. This was not at all how we were hoping the phone call would go. I understand he is trying to deal with this in his own way, but I need him. And him shutting me out is not at all what I need right now.

Aubree sensing what is going no tells her cousin we are going to have to cut the interview short. Layla is more then understanding and assures Aubree she has more than enough for the article. Off the record Layla makes Aubree promise to call her when we learn what is going on. Throughout all of this Aubree slips into her professional self and blocks all us out, which I'm more than grateful for because I was crumbling into a million different pieces. 

Aubree sends out some rapid texts informing the guys on where they need to meet us at. My phone chimes and I glance down to see a text from Tray asking me if I need him to come to where we are at. I tell him no to just meet us at the clinic. He texts back wanting to make sure that was what I wanted and I assured him it was.

Needing to bring Dimitri back from whatever dark whole he was spiraling down I rise and walk over to him. I wrap my arms around him and lean against his back. At first he was stiff in my hold, but then he spins me so we were standing front to front wrapped in each other arms. I rest my head on his chest and he rests his head on top of mine. We steal one more moment together before we had to face the doctor's news. For five more minuets we are able to deny what is happening around us. Each of us lost in memories of happier times. 

Wanting to lighten the mood I say, "you're acting like I'm already dead. I'm still standing here with you. Alive."

He tilts my chin to look into my eyes and kisses my forehead. "You're right. I'm scared," he whispers squeezing me even tighter into him.