-ˋ 24

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH IT'S EXPLAINED

. . .

"Good evening to you all, I trust that you enjoyed your meal?" Dumbledore's voice floated down the staircase, before Tiger had even reached the door. She glanced behind her, the group staring back at her and shruggin, illuminated in the blue-tinted glow of the lamps.

"Good evening professor." Tiger began, pushing down on the door handle and stepping into the room, stopping somewhere in the middle of the empty space, others filing in behind her and James instantly standing just behind her, hand hanging around her shoulders.

Tiger had been in Dumbledore's office before, but yet was rendered speechless from the sight. It was ethereal, in the cluttered, magical way that it was.

It was a large and beautiful circular room, full of funny little noises. A number of curious silver instruments stood on spindle-legged tables, whirring and emitting little puffs of smoke. The walls were covered with portraits of old headmasters and headmistresses, all of whom were snoozing gently in their frames. There was also an enormous, claw-footed desk, and, sitting on a shelf behind it, a shabby, tainted wizard's hat, which had been sat upon the heads of first years just a month or so ago.

And of course, there was the headmaster sat behind his desk, wearing his usual glittering dark purple robes. Beside him, perching on a stand, was a phoenix in what one could call full bloom - glowing a radiant scarlet and fluttering it's feathers slightly as they entered.

"Fawkes seems to have taken a liking to one of you." Dumbledore chuckled, finally looking up from his parchment.

"Sirius or Lily." Tiger glanced up at James, who narrowed his eyes. "Come on, it's not you - so stop looking so cocky you prat. Sirius has that natural.. aura? And it's either recognised Lily as one of it's own or finds her very pretty." She giggled as Lily's jaw dropped, not daring to reach out and jokingly hit her then, but the Howell girl knew she would be getting it later.

"James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew." From behind his crescent moon glasses, Dumbledore's strikingly blue eyes slipping from each boy. "And you must be Lily Evans, Marlene McKinnon and Lydia King. Forgive me if we've met before, I'm rather forgetful at times - but Miss Howell, it hasn't been so long since we met, has it?"

"No Professor." Tiger answered, and despite their not entirely recent conversation being quite comfortable and straightforward, she was very nervous.

"I heard the situation has.. worked itself out? Your father and mother have seperated, did they not?" Dumbledore asked, Tiger's eyes flickering over to meet her cousin's, who could only shrug.

"They have. I just have no idea where either of them are. I was staying with the Potters all summer. My Uncle - Remus's dad - said that he had heard at work they were alright, but that was at the beginning of August." Tiger replied, fiddling with the bracelet circling her wrist, James's thumb creating patterns on her shoulder.

"I see. I'll have a look for myself. However, as you may have guessed, it wouldn't be necessary for me to summon all of you in order for me to talk to Miss Howell about her parents." Dumbledore stood up from his seat and moved past his phoenix, standing in front of the teens.

You could hear a pin drop, and the eight of them stared up at him with a sort of excitement, thoroughly mixed with impatience, nerves and exhilaration. They were holding their breath, nothing more exciting than this. Dumbledore - the legendary Dumbledore - had asked to meet with them. Of course they would be excited.

"Whilst you and I may live in a blissful state of ignorance within these castle walls, there is no disguising one from the horrors that are happening outside of them. I am, of course, talking about Lord Voldemort." Dumbledore said, and the breath caught in many of their throats, a simultaineous sound. "Ah - but do not be afraid to speak his name, fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself."

"There are true horrors talking place outside of this castle. And whilst your lives may consist of wondering what shops you may visit next Hogsmeade visit, whether or not you may pass your exams and graduate - or in many of you cases, when is the next piece of homework due for my Transfiguration class." Dumbledore allowed himself to chuckle, and what could be called an award-winning smile arranged on James's face as he stepped forward. "Yes, Mr Potter, I arranged for your detention to be cancelled."

"Oh, thanks Professor." The Potter boy replied, with a casualness that has Remus and Lily standing up straighter, wanting nothing more than to hit him over the head.

"It has been moved to tomorrow instead." Dumbledore continued, and Sirius couldn't control his laughter - a bark-like sound escaping his lips. In front of him, Tiger was giggling, avoiding her boyfriend's rather powerful stares.

"I have fought dark wizards before, however this time is different. He is recruiting an army, and as have I. But not in the way you might expect. The Order of the Phoenix is a secret society, and up until now it has consisted purely of those I trust. And now, I put that trust in you."

"Professor, I don't understand." Tiger spoke up. "Is this some form of recruitment thing? Not that I'm denying I'm just confused."

"You won't be members instantly. However, if you are willing, I am in need of some more members." Dumbledore continued. "I will be training you myself, in hopes of you being able to join when you graduate."

"The question is. Will you accept?"