˗ˋ 25

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SIRIUS TURNS SEVENTEEN

. . .

Three days after the group had stayed up well into the Halloween night, eating left over sweets and drinking butterbeer, half of them waking up with purple streaks in their hair the next morning, it was yet another day to celebrate.

Sirius Black woke up on the 3rd of November thinking that he was late to class, the way that noise seemed to be coming from all around him, resembling the way that either James or Peter reacted was when he overslept.

But as he sat up, opening his eyes, he wasn't met with the morning light he expected, but the sight of Tiger, Remus, James and Peter stood at the end of his bed.

"Happy birthday Twinkletoes!" Tiger half-sang half-shouted, as soon as she saw that he had woken up, the three other marauders following with their messages of happy birthday.

"You woke me up before 7am on my birthday?" Sirius said, his voice practically dripping with exaggerated disappointment and sarcasm. "What's so special about it. It's the day I was brought into this awful place."

"And I won't hesitate to take you out of it." Tiger joked. "But seriously, I had to wake James and Peter up at quarter past six so we could get a plan together and sort out the dorm."

"A serious achievment." Sirius nodded, before his brow crinkled in confusion. "What did you do to the dorm?" He asked, looking around.

"Tiger and I put up some decorations." Peter said, as Sirius saw the various plastic decorations and ribbons hung up around everywhere. "Moony had to get James out of bed."

"I'm sure if it was the other way round then Tiger would have got him up in no time." Remus grumbled, sitting on the end of Sirius's bed, Tiger following suit and sitting down, a neatly wrapped present on her lap.

"Hey - I had Quidditch practise last night." James whined, before shutting up and picking at the frame of Sirius's bed, only pausing to push his glasses back up his nose.

"So presents." Remus said, watching as Tiger passed her present over to Sirius, smiling and holding her breath as she watched as he untied the ribbon.

It revealed a sweater, in the Gryffindor colours. "There's something extra about it but I'll tell you later." Tiger explained, remembering the rainbow patch that she had sewn on the inside.

Peter gave Sirius a collection of baked goods which his mum had made him, the box so big it fit over half of Sirius's bed. Remus gave Sirius an assortment of things, ranging from hair care products to sweaters that look suspiciously like his own.

"There's supposed to be some other stuff arriving.. my mum couldn't get it in time." He mumbled after Sirius had opened it, despite the boy looking absolutely overjoyed by the package. 

"Happy birthday Pads." James smiled, holding out the red and gold striped box, which was surrounded by a glittered gold aura. "And before you ask, no I didn't wrap it." He quickly said, as the boy pulled at the golden ribbon.

Sirius pulled the box open and the room was silent for a few moments, each of the four waiting with baited breath for Sirius to react. But he didn't - or he didn't seem to.