-ˋ 02

CHAPTER TWO

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH THE GARDEN PARTY OCCURS

. . .

They had gone in a full circle. Well, almost. The year before Tiger hadn't woken up in the attic room of the Potter house, hadn't woken up with James by her side - she hadn't even known James.

So they had come and gone in a full circle - almost. From far away, the circle might look smooth, but in reality the surface was bumpy. And the year since the garden party hadn't been easy, and even though there was a war on the horizon, the Howell girl hoped that their final year at Hogwarts could be easy as possible.

And this time, Tiger wasn't greeted by James, but stood by him greeting people, having managed to pull out a dress very similar to the one that she had worn the year before. It was red this time, and had bow from where the torso part of her top tied, it being a lot tighter than the skirt. The short, puffed peasant sleeve had been something that she had added to them, feeling as if the spaghetti straps were a little too revealing for the likes of the garden.

"Tiger, sweetheart, oh it's so good to see you." Hope Howell apparated alongside her husband at the entrance to the garden, and Remus appeared minutes later, greeting his best friend as Hope hugged Tiger. 

"Uncle Lyall." Tiger smiled, as Hope finally released her neice. "I hope everything's going ok?" The girl seemed happy enough, but her words were serious, and the Lupins glanced at each other, before gently pulling Tiger away from James and into a more secluded corner, where nobody could hear them.

"Your father has divorced Grace, but we haven't heard from him in a while. He had Matilda though, and from what Lyall heard at work, he's doing just fine." Hope said, a comforting hand on Tiger's shoulder. "I think he's had a lot to think about, and if I'm guessing correctly, he hasn't been contacting you much either?"

"One or two letters since Christmas. I don't even know if he got the letter from Dumbledore about everything that happened this year." Tiger chewed her bottom lip, glancing over to her boyfriend, who was currently stood with Remus, and Sirius appeared next to them. 

Hope and Lyall knew exactly what letter Tiger was talking about, because after not getting any response from David, Dumbledore had sent them one as well, as well as Euphemia and Fleamont. They were both, after all, who Tiger was staying with, and who she was closely related to.

"He mentioned he might come to this, in his last letter from the beginning of the summer." Hope reassured the girl. "I'm sure he'll turn up."

Tiger wasn't so sure he would, but she put on a brave smile for Hope and Lyall, the woman tapping her comfortingly on the shoulder before rejoining the party. 

"You ok?" James asked, as the girl walked over to him at the front. She could only shrug, and frowning, James wrapped an arm around her shoulder, pulling her closer to him as they greeted more people. 

Soon enough majority of the guests were there, and James, Tiger, Peter, Remus and Sirius stood together as Euphemia and Fleamont made their speeches, and soon enough the food came out, and Tiger got herself a few pumpkin pies and walked over to the back end of the garden, where Treacle laid on the sunny steps of the gazebo. 

She meowed as Tiger sat down besides her, moving to sit on her feet, purring happily as Tiger tickled underneath her chin, a content smile on her face. 

Tiger should have known not to get her hopes up for her father coming - it was clear that he wasn't going to at this point, and she only hoped that she would get a letter for Christmas or something. 

"Treacle tart?" James appeared in front of her, obviously having nabbed a platter of miniature treacle tarts, placing it in front of Tiger, chuckling as the girl took a few. "You seem upset." He said, and Tiger shrugged, looking over at him.

"I don't want to bring the mood down." The Howell girl said, and James gave her a look. "Fine, but only because you're pressuring me into it."

"I am not!" James said, watching as Tiger covered her eyes from the sun, adjusting the skirt of her dress. He got a sense of deja vu as he found his gaze travelling over her body, taking in every perfect detail. But unlike last time, Tiger caught him, reaching out and smacking him gently on the shoulder. 

"Eyes up here." She joked, before sighing and taking one of the treacle tarts. "It's my dad. He's not come. Auntie Hope said he might."

"Tigs, it's harsh but he's an awful father." James said, feeling awful for his girlfriend. "Besides, why do you need a crappy dad when you have all us lot."

He was right - but Tiger couldn't help but feel sad.