-ˋ 40

CHAPTER FORTY

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH THEY'RE IN LONDON

. . .

As always, the greeting that the four teenagers recieved from Euphemia and Fleamont Potter was incredibly warm and welcoming. James, Sirius, Peter and Tiger had met them on Platform 9¾, surrounding in hugs that Peter and Tiger happily took and that two particular boys pretended to be annoyed at - they weren't really, just trying to keep up their 'tough' appearances.

Following the train arriving, Euphemia and Fleamont told the teenagers that they would be staying at the Leaky Cauldron for a night or two, and after piling into the Potters' car they arrived outside of the famous pub. 

Tom the Inn-keeper seemed to already be aware of their stay and had rooms prepared for them. Euphemia and Fleamont in one, Peter, Sirius and James in another and Tiger was given her own small room directly besides the three boys. 

They six of them went out for dinner at a nearby muggle restaurants, an incredibly posh place that seemed to perk James and Sirius's interest. The Potter parents, Peter and Tiger were much more used to the setting, but the other two weren't so much, and ended up becoming far too excited by this. 

"Come on you two!" Tiger laughed as she twisted back to see James and Sirius stumbling into each other, laughter leaving their lips as if what they had heard the funniest thing on earth. Euphemia and Fleamont had already disappeared around the corner, arms linked and talking quietly amongst each other. Peter was stood by Tiger, watching with an expression akin to apprehension, as if he was expecting the boys to do something dangerous in a matter of minutes. Which they might just do, considering their excitement to be in muggle London once again.

"Twigsie, have some fun." James pleaded, straightening up. His eyes twinkled with the relfection of the white christmas lights that hung across the street, cheeks painted red from the Christmas themed display in the shop they passed. 

Darkness had already fallen over London - but was rather early in the evening and considering the fact the three teenagers spent the majority of the winter up in a castle in the middle of Scottish Highlands, the constant lighting from street lamps and Christmas decorations was welcome.

"I am having fun, but I'm also rather tired, James. Your mum and dad want us to go back to the inn." The Howell girl replied, cheeks tinting pink with a twinge of embarassment when she saw the two boys staring at her. "What?"

"When have you ever been the type to follow things like that, Twigs?" Sirius questioned. "Pete - have you ever seen this? It's absurd." 

Rolling her eyes, Tiger turned to the Pettigrew boy. "I don't want to ruin their fun, but I think they're just the slightest bit drunk off of that drink Euphemia ordered them. And from the Fire Whiskey they convinced Tom to give them. Do you think you could help me get them back to the Leaky Cauldron, we're only a street or so away."

"Yeah of course." Peter nodded, glancing around to try and find something to change their minds about having fun. "Do you have anything in mind?"

"James, Sirius. There is a mass murderer around this area of town." Tiger didn't have an ounce of conviction in her voice, and was actually using it to see just how confident the boys were feeling in their tipsy state.

"We don't need to worry about that Tiger." James and Sirius finally made it to where Tiger and Peter were watching. "I have my wand - and we're training to fight Vol-" James was continuing before Peter covered his mouth with his hand, yelping when the Potter boy licked it. 

"James that's disgusting." Tiger wrinkled her nose. "And no mentioning you-know-who. We're by the Leaky Cauldron, who knows who is around this area. Besides, don't you remember that we promised not to mention those lessons. I don't think you want your parents to know."

"Right. We don't." Something flashed in James's eyes that was startingly serious, the thought of his parents finding out what they had decided to do sobering him up. "But come on Twigs, Wormtail, just a little bit of fun?"

"We can have fun tomorrow, I promise. But now.. well I'm kinda cold and that guy has been staring at us from that alleyway for the past few minutes." The three boys' heads turned to where Tiger was pointing. 

She was right, a slip of pale skin could be seen in the shadowed alley. It was odd, considering that the Leaky Cauldron wasn't in a particularily dangerous part of Muggle London - but seemed to make sense when you thought about what was past that back wall of the inn. 

And with that, the four teens hurried back to the Leaky Cauldron, clutching their wands in the arms of their coats and glancing around rather suspiciously, hoping that they hadn't been followed by whoever it was.

Despite the innocence of Muggle London, it was still dangerous times in the Wizarding World. They couldn't forget that.