˗ˋ 12

CHAPTER TWELVE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THEY SERVE SATURDAY DETENTION TOGETHER

. . .

"I trust you know what to do by now, Mr Potter." McGonagall said, looking over her spectacles at the one mentioned. "And as for Miss Howell, I'm sure James will tell you what is expected of you."

"Of course, Minnie." James said, sweeping down into a bow, and upon straigtening up again, he smirked. Tiger's eyes remained staring at the stone floor, whilst Professor McGonagall stared at James.

"I'll be back to check your progress in a hour." Professor McGonagall looked unimpressed by the boy's action, and sweeped out of the room, her emerald robes creating the dramatic effect which did impress both of them.

"You look shocked, Twiggy." James commented, as he reached to one of the bottom cupboards of the display cases that the walls room were covered in. He handed Tiger a rag and some cleaning product, smiling slightly.

When James and Tiger had been stopped by Professor McGonagall the previous night, the woman had told them that they had detention the following afternoon, and the whole time, James had noticed that Tiger looked pretty scared at the prospect.

"Detention here is pretty easier.." She trailed off, looking around the room. "At Ilvermorny, detention could be horrible. This is the sort of thing my mum would ask me to do if we had guests coming over."

"Clean all the silverware and trophies you have around your house? Lovely sounding lady, your mum." James said, scooping up various pieces from the cabinets and placing them on the floor, and sitting down next to them, Tiger opposite him.

"She's not horrible. Just disagrees with well... everything about me. Well not everything. There's some things which she is okay with. But after I got kicked out she wasn't the happiest with me." Tiger shrugged, picking up a rag and beginning to polish the trophy.

"You could come and stay at mine if you want." James said, after a few moments passed. "You know, if something happens with your mum. Sirius would be fine sharing with me for a day or two."

"I'll keep that in mind." Tiger stared down at the trophy, but James could see her cheeks rise and begin to turn pink.

"I'm just confused about one thing." James said, and immediately, Tiger looked up at him, her cheeks still pink as anything. "Why did you tell McGonagall that it was your idea if the detentions were bad and if you were worried about detention here."

James didn't know why he asked - sometimes words came out before his mind could properly process what he wanted to say. It was a perfectly reasonable question, and last night he was more than ready to take the blame for the whole situation - seeing as it was his fault.

He had asked Tiger to go with him out, she didn't know where to, and even asked him if it was really a good idea. But James had insisted, and when they got caught, Tiger took the bullet and told their head of house that she had convinced James to go on a walk with her because she had a nightmare.

"Well.. more than once I did the same for people back at Ilvermorny. I've served more detentions in place for other people than I have because of things I did myself." Tiger admitted, her gaze still focused on the thing she was polishing. "I guess it was a reflex."